Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

11 hours ago, scarboroughwa said:

As with a lot of Japanese movies, it's bizarre, and this one has some very strange ideas in it.

Then again, could always stick to Tom Hanks movies.

I'm not massively into anime but I really liked the show it's based on. Saw the film, was a bit disappointed by it. I could t get my head round the show being set in a Bavarian looking setting, but then in the live action everyone's Japanese. 

Went to the cinema to watch Grimsby last night. Some genuine laugh out loud moments. Some cringe moments too. Well worth a watch. Probably the best of SBC's films so far. Undertone is political messages in there too

8/10 because i like this kind of humour. 

Oblivion (2013)

Sci-Fi with Tom Cruise as a drone repair man on a post-apocalyptic earth.

Starts off as Wall-E, then turns into Moon, 2001 and Independence Day later on.

Story an average 6/10  - seen it all before really but absolutely stunning to look at in terms of concept design and visual effects, so for me a very good 8/10 over all.

36 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Oblivion (2013)

Sci-Fi with Tom Cruise as a drone repair man on a post-apocalyptic earth.

Starts off as Wall-E, then turns into Moon, 2001 and Independence Day later on.

Story an average 6/10  - seen it all before really but absolutely stunning to look at in terms of concept design and visual effects, so for me a very good 8/10 over all.

Great soundtrack too.

We put it in the same category as Tron Legacy - visually stunning, great soundtrack, meh story.

9 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Great soundtrack too.

We put it in the same category as Tron Legacy - visually stunning, great soundtrack, meh story.

Totally agree.

I know Tron Legacy has it's faults (CGI Jeff Bridges' mouth??) but I can keep going back & watching it for the visuals & Daft Punk soundtrack alone.

It was the soundtrack to Oblivion that got me looking into it, as I thought it sounded similar to Tron (though it's by M83). I hadn't realised until then that it was the same director - Joseph Kosinski, so it's not surprising the films have similar strengths & weaknesses.

On 25 February 2016 at 00:41, AmericanRam said:

A friend of mine had never seen 'Full Metal Jacket' before so we watched it last night.

He thought it was incredible and even though I have watched it several times before,still find it an amazing film each and every time I see it.

10/10.

All the training scenes filmed in England.

44 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Totally agree.

I know Tron Legacy has it's faults (CGI Jeff Bridges' mouth??) but I can keep going back & watching it for the visuals & Daft Punk soundtrack alone.

It was the soundtrack to Oblivion that got me looking into it, as I thought it sounded similar to Tron (though it's by M83). I hadn't realised until then that it was the same director - Joseph Kosinski, so it's not surprising the films have similar strengths & weaknesses.

Kosinski certainly has a distinctive style. Waiting to see what goes for next, I know he was attached to a mooted Remake of The Black Hole for a while. 

I don't think a great soundtrack or stunning visuals can make a 'great' movie on their own, but they can certainly elevate something beyond the mediocre or 'run of the mill'.

26 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Kosinski certainly has a distinctive style. Waiting to see what goes for next, I know he was attached to a mooted Remake of The Black Hole for a while. 

I'd love to see The Black Hole updated. A weird film for Disney to make - though obviously on the Star Wars bandwagon at the time.

26 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

I don't think a great soundtrack or stunning visuals can make a 'great' movie on their own, but they can certainly elevate something beyond the mediocre or 'run of the mill'.

Agreed. Chronicles of Riddick is another flawed one that I can watch just for the visuals.

Spotlight.

9/10. I've heard of all the abuse scandals to do with the Catholic Church, but I suspect I was a bit too young, or a bit too aloof to really pay attention when they all came out. Shook me to the core this film did, great performances, tight editing and a nice soundtrack.

I think in the film someonee said they needed to tell the story and tell it right. They did that alright.

Spotlight was the best film of the year by far, really great.

Watched Deadpool last night, actually really good, 8/10, funny, decent action and a cool story. Very surprised.

The Program about Lance Armstrong, 5/10, told you nothing you didnt know already and missed a chance to make a great film about an amazing story.