Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Bullet Train Down (Amazon)

(Spoilers)

It's an utterly absurd rip-off of 'Speed' (without the undoubted on-screen qualities of Messrs Hopper, Reeves, Bullock etc), badly written and with a ridiculously predictable - yet at the same time inexplicably unpredictable - plot which seems to change direction far faster than the train could ever do.

Saying that, it's worth watching, just for the plot-hole spotting, incredibly poor CGI resembling stuff I was able to do a better job putting together on the Commodore 64 almost 40 years ago, and the biggest one of all - how to gain access to a computer system that you have been completely locked out of, seemingly just by walking up to the console and (I presume) saying the magic word. Maybe not the biggest, on reflection. The hero surviving a 200 mph crash which demolishes a couple of city blocks may just edge it.

Derek Hales/10

Edited by Eddie

John Wick - Chapter 4.

It's mindless tripe, just like Chapters 1 - 3.

Superbly choreographed, superbly shot, stabbed, blown up, flame-throwered, run over and basically mutilated - and so many of them too. Just suspend all belief for almost three hours, grab a large bucket of popcorn and try to count the number Wick pops off. I soon lost count, but someone actually went to the trouble of counting them - 140.

Another terrible London Film Festival flop. Saoirse Ronan, Paul Mescal and Aaron Pierre "star" in Garth Davis's Foe. Set in 2065, I was looking forward to some interesting scifi but OMG, it was interminable and dire. A few days ago now, but I still feel I could be waiting in the cinema for it to finish. 

Nathan Tyson/10. A disaster of a movie. 

Triangle of sadness (Prime Video)

A fashion model celebrity couple join an eventful cruise for the super-rich.

I really can't work out if I like this award winner from 2022 or not. It has some interesting things to say about society & some very good satirical barbs. One hilarious sequence at the yacht's Captain's dinner where it all goes pear shaped in a storm.

However, at 2 1/2 hours, it's way too long & could have achieved the same with an hour less. The first section introducing the 2 main characters is tedious and drawn out to the extreme so much that it ended up alienating me against them.

It's a weird one. A lot of people love it (imdb: 7.3) and there were parts of it that I really liked. I just felt it was up itself a bit too much. And too long.

Hard to score. Feeling generous: 6/10

On 02/10/2023 at 01:51, Eddie said:

Minority Report

I just love the writing of Philip Kindred Dick. So many great novels and short stories that transcribe so readily to the screen. Truly, a genius.

Spent most of his life on mescaline and other drugs to get there but, yes, Minority Report, Bladerunner, Total Recall. Impressive!

Last Night In Soho (Netflix) - started out well, and the soundtrack is immense - but just ends up being an over bloated episode of Doctor Who baddies and a lot of plot lines that somehow just get discarded. Love a lot of Edgar Wright's work but this one is a miss.

Welcome to the Jungle  (not to be confused with the Jumanii reboot) and Journey 2 : Mysterious Island. Both star Dwayne Johnson and both good fun. Michael Caine is in Journey 2. 7/10. Netflix

Edited by TimRam

A Walk Among The Tombstones

Liam Neeson as a Private Detective/ex-cop, trying to bring to justice the perpetrators of kidnappings and (the subsequent) gruesome murders.

Pretty decent watch. Mick Hopkinson or Lindeman's Kriek/10.

20 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Venom good addition to the Marvel film series with dark undertones. 8.5/10.

Venom 2 Let there be Carnage - A big let down compared to the first. 'Humour' at times from the Venom character at times which did not really work. 5/10.

spot on - loved the first film, but really didn't enjoy the second at all...