Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

53 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Men (Prime Video)

A young woman (Jessie Buckley) goes on a solo holiday to the English countryside following the death of her husband. There, she meets a strange assortment of men - all played by Rory Kinnear.

Good grief. Seriously weird.

If you like David Cronenberg style body horror, then the second half of this one will be right up your street.....also if you've ever wondered what Rory Kinnear's willy looks like.

So glad I didn't save this for the weekend's viewing with Mrs Wolfie - 6/10

Jesse Buckley seems to be going for some seriously weird stuff at the moment - I watched "I'm Thinking Of Ending It" about a year ago, which had David Lynch levels of strangeness to it. Not a film you'd watch for its entertainment value, for sure. 

22 hours ago, Crewton said:

Jesse Buckley seems to be going for some seriously weird stuff at the moment - I watched "I'm Thinking Of Ending It" about a year ago, which had David Lynch levels of strangeness to it. Not a film you'd watch for its entertainment value, for sure. 

Yeah I was trying to think what I'd seen her in & then remembered "The Lost Daughter", which was a bit weird as well.

Just ove rhalf way through Operation Mincemeat and I'm very happy I waited and didn't pay to see it.

I'll see it through tonight but it's a bit of a yawn as of now.

Having said that, when I think about it, it must be a tough book to make exciting. Especially when you have to strip 80% of it out and you lose a lot of the really interesting detail.

The book had me in awe whereas the film had me in bed.

On 12/02/2023 at 13:11, Bob The Badger said:

Just ove rhalf way through Operation Mincemeat and I'm very happy I waited and didn't pay to see it.

I'll see it through tonight but it's a bit of a yawn as of now.

Having said that, when I think about it, it must be a tough book to make exciting. Especially when you have to strip 80% of it out and you lose a lot of the really interesting detail.

The book had me in awe whereas the film had me in bed.

Try The Man who Never Was - Clifton Webb with a whole host of familiar actors of British film of the 50s and 60s.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Dead Man's Shoes. 

Watched it a lot of times and it's still one of the most intense and haunting films. Paddy Considine is magic 

10/10. 

Don't know how you can watch it many times, despite the fact that it really is excellent. Harrowing from start to finish with almost no respite. For a mild-mannered chap in real life, Considine is bloody terrifying! 

The Conjuring 3(?) : .The Devil Made Me Do It

Incredibly formulaic, spooky, jump/scare by numbers horror-lite.

I actually still enjoyed it though.

A bit like the Final Destination franchise where you know exactly what to expect and either you just go with it or it's not for you. 

7/10

Edited by Chester40

The second half of Operation Mincemeat was probably better and it staggered to about a 6.5/10

Sharper on Apple TV .

With Julianne Moore (who I had such a crush on...ok, I still do), John Lithgow and some others who I didn't recognise.

Nihal Arthanayak almost wet his pants talking about this and refused to discuss the plot when he interviewed the director because there were so many twists and turns that any such banter would surely add spoilers.

He's such a pretentious t@*^ 

The story is told through the eyes of all the protagonists who may or may not all be con artists - and that really isn't spoiling anything.

I *think* this would have been groundbreaking 40+ years ago, but, it's just been done so much that it felt cliched and obvious.

Mrs Badger loved it, but it frustrated me because it felt like so many similar films of the 80s and 90s.

In fact, you can go back even further to The Sting and even The Thomas Crown Affair if you love a good plot twist.

Having said that, would anybody not guess the ending of a film like The Sting now?

I honestly don't know, but I suspect not.

It's tricky to pull the wool over the audience's eyes when we have been exposed to almost every cinematic trick.

Stop here if you don't want a minor spoiler.

Well acted (Lithgow was his usual excellent self) and had a fairly tight script, but left me feeling like it could have been so much more.

I'll begrudgingly give it 7.

Stop here if you want to know absolutely nothing more.

I'm not going to share a spoiler per see, but you may prefer to not read on as I'm going to kinda discuss the end without telling you what it is.

The end felt utterly predictable. Not that there wasn't a twist, but that the twist was more like a slight curve that you could see coming about halfway through the movie. I think a better ending could have had this scoring an 8.5.

48 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The second half of Operation Mincemeat was probably better and it staggered to about a 6.5/10

Sharper on Apple TV .

With Julianne Moore (who I had such a crush on...ok, I still do), John Lithgow and some others who I didn't recognise.

Nihal Arthanayak almost wet his pants talking about this and refused to discuss the plot when he interviewed the director because there were so many twists and turns that any such banter would surely add spoilers.

He's such a pretentious t@*^ 

The story is told through the eyes of all the protagonists who may or may not all be con artists - and that really isn't spoiling anything.

I *think* this would have been groundbreaking 40+ years ago, but, it's just been done so much that it felt cliched and obvious.

Mrs Badger loved it, but it frustrated me because it felt like so many similar films of the 80s and 90s.

In fact, you can go back even further to The Sting and even The Thomas Crown Affair if you love a good plot twist.

Having said that, would anybody not guess the ending of a film like The Sting now?

I honestly don't know, but I suspect not.

It's tricky to pull the wool over the audience's eyes when we have been exposed to almost every cinematic trick.

Stop here if you don't want a minor spoiler.

Well acted (Lithgow was his usual excellent self) and had a fairly tight script, but left me feeling like it could have been so much more.

I'll begrudgingly give it 7.

Stop here if you want to know absolutely nothing more.

I'm not going to share a spoiler per see, but you may prefer to not read on as I'm going to kinda discuss the end without telling you what it is.

The end felt utterly predictable. Not that there wasn't a twist, but that the twist was more like a slight curve that you could see coming about halfway through the movie. I think a better ending could have had this scoring an 8.5.

Poor man's House of Cards. Felt contrived from start to end.

I liked Operation Mincemeat though.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands