Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Saw Logan opening weekend- 8/10

Dafne Kean is unreal as X23 while both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart put in probably their best performances as Charles and Logan. Really great note to end those two on, even after DOFP which I thought was a nice little retcon.

Hope they don't recast Wolverine for a bit, but I know they will. From what I'm hearing they're giving Jackman a say on it too. Weird.

Went to see Beauty and the Beast today.

I haven't seen the original or if I have I don't remember it. My knowledge of it beforehand was limited to the 'Be our guest' song and the general plot. 

Pros: shot well and a lot of the characters were full of life. Loved Luke Evans as Gaston, I think he was a superb casting choice as was Dan Stevens for the Beast. 

Was testing myself to see if I could figure out who was voicing the CGI characters, who I thought were all well played. 

Found myself welling up a couple of times, so it must have done something right, or maybe I'm an easy crier. Laughed more than I thought I would as well.

Neutral: Emma Watson. She had the look down, but for some reason I didn't buy her as Belle. Don't know what it was. Her singing voice didn't impress me either.

CGI for the characters was good for the most part, but there was definitely a disconnect in scenes where the beast had to interact with Belle.

Cons: Not being familiar with the songs, I had a hard time making out the words in most of them as the orchestra and general background noise overwhelmed it. If you know the words already its fine, but a lot of times I was just enjoying the music as I couldn't understand what they were singing about.

7.5/10

Doctor Strange

I like the Marvel Avengers films but Thor is probably the only character that I've seen all of their stand alone films. I've never got Captain America at all and have only seen one of the Iron Man films (can't remember which). Dr Strange is probably a character I could easily watch again, though.

Cumberbatch is good but Tilda Swinton steals the film, for me. I love her weirdness & haunting portrayal of The Ancient One.

8/10 and the next one is with Thor, by the look of it, so will look forward to that.

Arrival 7/10 good but not as good as the rating suggest imo. More of a thinking film. 

Passengers 7/10 better than the ratings suggest imo. Enjoyed this more than arrival. Probably because there is a spaceship & space involved & didn't have to think! 

Ghostbusters 5/10 the recent one. It was ok. Nice cameos by members of the original. 

• 2 weeks later...

watched a film called Risen last night, solely cos it was in UHD on SkyQ. Absolute ******! 3/10!

Basically the Nazi out of Schindlers List is a Roman geezer, and Pablo Escobar out of Blow (GREAT FILM) is Jesus, who returns from the dead. As I say, just 2 hours of nothing.

Sith Happens
On 20/03/2017 at 12:49, Squid said:

Arrival 7/10 good but not as good as the rating suggest imo. More of a thinking film. 

Passengers 7/10 better than the ratings suggest imo. Enjoyed this more than arrival. Probably because there is a spaceship & space involved & didn't have to think! 

Ghostbusters 5/10 the recent one. It was ok. Nice cameos by members of the original. 

I enjoyed passengers too. Actually thought the premise was quite thought provoking, although I do feel it could have been a better film if it had been taken in a darker direction.

• 1 month later...

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2:

Enjoyed it but not as much as the first one. Some very good Baby Groot / Drax stuff.  7.5/10

Alien: Covenant:

OK but I wish they hadn't tried to copy loads from the original Alien film though. Looks stunning but that's Ridley Scott for you. Lots of stupid people doing stupid things: "Don't look into that, you idiot!"  I actually preferred Prometheus I think. 7/10

4 hours ago, mozza said:

Bit of a bump for this thread , i watched Suicide Squad last night , enjoyed it , 8/10 ..

I also watched Suicide Squad last night. 4/10. Predictable, formulaic, immature. Just a carbon copy of about 3 films released every year now under the quickeningly tiresome 'comic-book heroes' genre. I cannot separate one from another once I've slept, they all merge into one.

Had this been released 5 years ago, I might have enjoyed it!

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I also watched Suicide Squad last night. 4/10. Predictable, formulaic, immature. Just a carbon copy of about 3 films released every year now under the quickeningly tiresome 'comic-book heroes' genre. I cannot separate one from another once I've slept, they all merge into one.

Had this been released 5 years ago, I might have enjoyed it!

looks like i won be sitting in the back row of the movies with you anymore then ..

:(

Just now, mozza said:

looks like i won be sitting in the back row of the movies with you anymore then ..

:(

nah, don't worry pops. Just means you didn't see the other 15 films that are virtually identical that were released in the last 5 years!

7 minutes ago, mozza said:

I enjoyed Deadpool as well,  i'd give that an 8/10. Wasn't keen on Hail Caeser tho,  5/10. 

I want to watch that as I like the Coen's but I'm waiting until after I've seen the Han Solo film. I don't want any preconceived ideas about the actor.

19 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I want to watch that as I like the Coen's but I'm waiting until after I've seen the Han Solo film. I don't want any preconceived ideas about the actor.

You're not missing out on much, tbh.

• 2 weeks later...