Happy St. George’s Day

Gritstone Ram

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

I see the usual anti English poster has been making us of the laughing emoji. Keep the red flag flying son.

The red flag? Sorry - what has St George go to do with politics?

I laughed at the opening post because I assumed it was tongue in cheek

This chap has the English Flag named after him

This man is a national hero

Today I am going to do all things English.

This is the best photo I could find of him. 

Those statements are satire surely?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Norman said:

Ah, you are saying that because I listed the points that make this country great doesn't mean you think its true. 

Enjoy your miserable day. I've just done 132 hours in 11 nights with another 84 hours in 7 days lined up in 2 days. Going to enjoy myself and this country today. 

Another reason this country is great. Its world leading prison service. 

I read that the bonus that's been given is absolutely amazing, which is great - predominantly down to the very strong union that the prison service enjoys. It was compared with the nurses and NHS staff who also have been working immensely hard and also at great risk, but not given anything like what the prison service have managed. 

Thank god for strong unions. It is nothing short of heroic the levels of commitment being shown by you and your colleagues, and genuinely I think we all need to thank you all for doing the jobs you do (and I'm being genuine, I promise). At least there's some extra pay in it for you, which I hope goes some way to make up for the long hours in a thankless job.

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Sorry if my sarcasm went over people's heads. You are correct, the DRC is absolutely the last place you'd want to live. Apart from maybe Ivory Coast.

I didn't think you were being serious ? 

Ultimately there are a lot of worse places to live than here and a lot on par with us.  Better than us?  Thats subjective.  Personally, at somepoint in the near future I'm hoping to leave my little corner of South Derbyshire and move to the coast but I see no compelling reason to go any further!

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I read that the bonus that's been given is absolutely amazing, which is great - predominantly down to the very strong union that the prison service enjoys. It was compared with the nurses and NHS staff who also have been working immensely hard and also at great risk, but not given anything like what the prison service have managed. 

Thank god for strong unions. It is nothing short of heroic the levels of commitment being shown by you and your colleagues, and genuinely I think we all need to thank you all for doing the jobs you do (and I'm being genuine, I promise). At least there's some extra pay in it for you, which I hope goes some way to make up for the long hours in a thankless job.

I'm not in the union. And the bonus had nothing to do with he union.

The bonus that had something to do with union related to 100 quid a month which they refused. 

I have my hours in for my bonus. These are extra.

Either way, unions were part of this great country's history and shaping it, which we can thank them for. They're just a bit pointless now. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I quite like the sound of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Must be nice with all those great words in the name.

Anyway - has anyone had the council round to tell them they can't do flags and whatnot in case it offends anyone? Or anything taken down from Facebook? There was a spate of rumours going around, wonder if it's still a problem?

No problems around Mackworth. 

20200423_085143.jpg

Just now, Norman said:

The best country in the world. 

Freedom, diversity, rights, tolerance, fight, determination, modesty and democracy. 

What a place. 

?.  But seriously I do hope you have a good day.  @Van der MoodHoover's point about George and Edmund is a decent one however. Would be easy enough to switch and make Edmund's Day a national holiday. 

Just now, Highgate said:

?.  But seriously I do hope you have a good day.  @Van der MoodHoover's point about George and Edmund is a decent one however. Would be easy enough to switch and make Edmund's Day a national holiday. 

I honestly don't care of the name of a Saint. I care about celebrating our country. Its great. Not perfect, but there isn't any better, and we should be proud of it. And today is that day.

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I would be more supportive of a date around then, as we get quite a long run from August to Christmas without any public days and there are already quite a few around this time of year. Whatever the day, it will likely never be celebrated as fervently as St Patrick's Day as we do not have a diaspora that comes anywhere close to that of Ireland.

A few hundred thousand pensioners cashing in their overpriced rat-holes in London and buggering off to Spain is not quite the same thing........?

11 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

A few hundred thousand pensioners cashing in their overpriced rat-holes in London and buggering off to Spain is not quite the same thing........?

Who are now desperately trying to sell as the ar$e has dropped out of the housing market for ex-pats now Brexit/Dec31st is looming, Coronavirus is also affecting the housing market...not in all areas I might add.

https://www.halofinancial.com/properties-abroad/coronavirus-effect-spanish-property-market

Archived