Happy St. George’s Day

Gritstone Ram

Keep St. George in my heart I am English, keep St. George in my heart I pray.....

I’ll let you finish that with what ever version you see suitable.

This chap has the English Flag named after him he is the patron saint of England. This man is a national hero. I salute him today.

I even named my son after him. 

Today I am going to do all things English.

This is the best photo I could find of him. 

E1478BCD-C268-4A43-A60F-FFDEC3B9ABE8.jpeg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Van Gritters said:

Keep St. George in my heart I am English, keep St. George in my heart I pray.....

I’ll let you finish that with what ever version you see suitable.

This chap has the English Flag named after him he is the patron saint of England. This man is a national hero. I salute him today.

I even named my son after him. 

Today I am going to do all things English.

This is the best photo I could find of him. 

E1478BCD-C268-4A43-A60F-FFDEC3B9ABE8.jpeg

Having read the Historic UK site, I was interested to note that our "original" patron saint was St Edmund. Who is actually English (of Bury St Edmunds fame). He was our patron saint for 300 years until George was adopted in the 1300's, by one of the Edwards. Who themselves were Angevin/Plantagenets and so more French than English.

And we actually know St Edmunds birth date which is November 20th, whereas April 23rd is St George's "feast day" as we know nothing much about his life, except for the fact that he was not English and pretty definitely never set foot here. The account I read had him as a roman soldier, executed in Palestine for Christian beliefs. So really he is a patron of the religion, rather than any nationality. His adoption was associated with Crusading to the Holy Land where it was thought helpful to have God on "our" side.

So Happy Feast Day one and all. I shall be saving my celebration of pure Englishness until November.?

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Are you indulging in any of the pastimes in #8?

Never heard of Punch and Judy being associated with St George but there we go.....?

Really?
I thought everyone knew about that!  It's a well known fact that St George is also the Patron Saint of sausages.

Here's a link...

punch-and-crocodile-puppet-fighting-foot

27 minutes ago, Norman said:

The best country in the world. 

Freedom, diversity, rights, tolerance, fight, determination and democracy. 

What a place. 

I quite like the sound of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Must be nice with all those great words in the name.

Anyway - has anyone had the council round to tell them they can't do flags and whatnot in case it offends anyone? Or anything taken down from Facebook? There was a spate of rumours going around, wonder if it's still a problem?

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

No idea what your point is. 

Bet they don't have a World Cup. 

No point. Just sounds like it would be a nice place to live. They probably don't take part in the world cup because they all voted not to bother. Proper democracy that is.

I love this country so much I served in the Army to protect it. We have so much to be proud of as a nation, yet so much of what I have seen over the last couple of years has made me feel more detatched from it than ever.

Symbolism and icons like St George are too often comandeered by less than desirable types and attached to their often hateful messaging.

I will celebrate my nationality in the best way I know, firstly by grafting hard, trying to do right by my family and then treating myself to a few beers on a weekend. I don't need patron saint (of a religion I don't follow) or anything else for that matter to do any of those things.

12 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

No point. Just sounds like it would be a nice place to live. They probably don't take part in the world cup because they all voted not to bother. Proper democracy that is.

Ah, you are saying that because I listed the points that make this country great doesn't mean you think its true. 

Enjoy your miserable day. I've just done 132 hours in 11 nights with another 84 hours in 7 days lined up in 2 days. Going to enjoy myself and this country today. 

Another reason this country is great. Its world leading prison service. 

Archived