Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

In fairness for pubs which serve food, if they are able to sell alcohol for outdoor settings, but serve meals indoors in april but no alcohol, even if thats just for a month until they fully open, id say that would be a start

So you also believe alcohol and consumption of it is a leading reason why people are catching Covid ? I’m guessing not and If not the why shouldn’t they serve it when open, why restrict it, it makes zero sense. 

Just now, TexasRam said:

So you also believe alcohol and consumption of it is a leading reason why people are catching Covid ? I’m guessing not and If not the why shouldn’t they serve it when open, why restrict it, it makes zero sense. 

Personal experience thats all from last year.

I didnt get to go in many pubs, but had some good experiences from pubs that applied the rules well, and bad ones where people were allowed to pack in shoulder to shoulder, or mix in groups larger than 6.

Absolutely if there was a guarantee that social distancing was being adhered to 100% then i would agree with you.

Of course my experience is just anecdotal but its afterall my experience and one i will base my view on.

If it means a gentle re-opening with restrictions but allows a sustained re-opening in the long term then im all for it.

47 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

It fulfilled its purpose of sowing seeds of doubt in order to make some people incredulous or angry, which seems to be a common trait nowadays. Pick an extreme statement, put it out there, gauge reaction, cross it off the list, move on to the next.

25 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Isn't it suggested that once people have had a drink or two, their judgement will be impaired, and therefore lapses may occur with respect to social distancing etc. A bit like "Don't drink and drive" - perhaps "Don't drink and drive up the infection rate". Having one more steak and kidney pie for the road won't have the same detrimental effect.

I feel better now, thanks.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Isn't it suggested that once people have had a drink or two, their judgement will be impaired, and therefore lapses may occur with respect to social distancing etc. A bit like "Don't drink and drive" - perhaps "Don't drink and drive up the infection rate". Having one more steak and kidney pie for the road won't have the same detrimental effect.

Certainly alcohol does impair your judgement. One example i can think of is the VE day 'street parties' from last year. During the day everything was great in our street, people on their own front gardens....social distancing was being adhered to superbly.

As the afternoon turned into evening people started to 'mingle', so soon after we decided to call it a day ourselves. Later in the evening a group of about 8 where sat huddled together drinking late, then moved inside together as it got cooler.

The evening ended, so im told, when one of them was so drunk that 3 others had to carry him back home....

Likewise one of the pubs we went in on the east coast. When we went in it was great, social distancing was brilliant, it was before table service but there was a clearly marked out area for queuing/service and signs saying 'no standing space'...all the stuff you expect to see.

We started to feel uncomfortable as the crowd built up around us and people in order to find a space were standing drinking and chatting in the service only area, Once again as we saw what was happening we decided to leave and go elsewhere, and found an excellent little pub, great distancing, stopping people coming in until there was space..

In that pub one customer tried to join another group and tried to take a spare chair from the table next to us, and the staff were on him straight away stopping him.

So if all pubs could be like that id support re-opening in the near future.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Yes I do, however I don’t see the point. Also last time I checked I didn’t see you could catch Covid from Alcohol so it’s again and as my original post noted a completely nonsensical notion.

Alcohol can suppress immune function in a number of ways, and has been linked with diseases such as pneumonia. The reasons for this are controversial, but it doesn't take much thought to realise even the risks posed by behaviour patterns seen in people under the influence of alcohol are a concern in this situation. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

@Albert off topic, but are you a Derby fan? 

...are you being serious mate? 

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

Alcohol can suppress immune function in a number of ways, and has been linked with diseases such as pneumonia. The reasons for this are controversial, but it doesn't take much thought to realise even the risks posed by behaviour patterns seen in people under the influence of alcohol are a concern in this situation. 

...are you being serious mate? 

Yes serious I never seen you post on the football thread that’s all. Not that I watch very thread just don’t see you popping up. 

55 minutes ago, Eddie said:

This is my worry with certain mind sets of people (I could of predicted who) that these beliefs mean we will never ever return to normal life. It’s like certain mindsets want this actually to be the new norm, maybe it suits them and unfortunately people seem to be that scared by the propaganda they follow it blindly  

2 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

The 10pm pub curfew I could never get my head around. It created a mass of gathering of people waiting for taxis/buses to go home. Maybe a better idea on a Friday and Saturday would be shutting the pubs/bars about 12 because not everyone wants to go out drinking until late. I think it would help the flow of people wanting to go home at different times. I feel shutting the watering holes at 10pm doesnt benefit anybody and causes more issues for social distancing than a few idiots getting too drunk and not following the rules.

20 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Yes serious I never seen you post on the football thread that’s all. Not that I watch very thread just don’t see you popping up. 

I've not posted much on here in years more generally. I only really post if I feel I have something to contribute to the discussion, and being someone based overseas, that's not all that often these days. I used to do stats posts, etc, but 90% of them just ended up being about the methodology, which clearly wasn't that interesting. 

In any case, your thoughts on alcohol, and concerns around it and preventing spread? You know, the topic of discussion you've brushed over. 

4 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

The 10pm pub curfew I could never get my head around. It created a mass of gathering of people waiting for taxis/buses to go home. Maybe a better idea on a Friday and Saturday would be shutting the pubs/bars about 12 because not everyone wants to go out drinking until late. I think it would help the flow of people wanting to go home at different times. I feel shutting the watering holes at 10pm doesnt benefit anybody and causes more issues for social distancing than a few idiots getting too drunk and not following the rules.

I agree,  think it was done elsewhere and it seemed it was a possible solution.

I dont think it was, and agree that people leaving at different times has to be better.

22 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

This is my worry with certain mind sets of people (I could of predicted who) that these beliefs mean we will never ever return to normal life. It’s like certain mindsets want this actually to be the new norm, maybe it suits them and unfortunately people seem to be that scared by the propaganda they follow it blindly  

I cant think anyone who doesnt want to return to how it was. A packed pub with lots of atmosphere is where i would love to be.

Hopefully later this year we wll be back there, but last year especially i wanted to feel safe and at times i didnt because of lax measures by landlords and lack of respect for others by some who didnt seem interested in social distancing.

Im not saying i felt like that everywhere but its was certainly enough places for it to be of concern.

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

I've not posted much on here in years more generally. I only really post if I feel I have something to contribute to the discussion, and being someone based overseas, that's not all that often these days. I used to do stats posts, etc, but 90% of them just ended up being about the methodology, which clearly wasn't that interesting. 

In any case, your thoughts on alcohol, and concerns around it and preventing spread? You know, the topic of discussion you've brushed over. 

Ok fair enough. Oh I haven’t, I made thoughts clear on the subject no need for any more from me on it.

3 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I cant think anyone who doesnt want to return to how it was. A packed pub with lots of atmosphere is where i would love to be.

Hopefully later this year we wll be back there, but last year especially i wanted to feel safe and at times i didnt because of lax measures by landlords and lack of respect for others by some who didnt seem interested in social distancing.

Im not saying i felt like that everywhere but its was certainly enough places for it to be of concern.

Isnt that where it should come down to managing your own risk though?

If youre not comfortable somewhere then you leave and if you think the place is not following the rules you report them.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It fulfilled its purpose of sowing seeds of doubt in order to make some people incredulous or angry, which seems to be a common trait nowadays. Pick an extreme statement, put it out there, gauge reaction, cross it off the list, move on to the next.

I think you’ll find it normally goes lie this with these headlines 

The pub headline this morning will be rubbished tomorrow by MP’s . 

Plan A
They Leak 
We laugh 
They deny it was ever planned 
They go back to the drawing board
They publicly announce new plan A

3 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

Me ,,, can’t stand packed pubs , full of peed up people , last place I ever feel safe??‍♂️
I manage my own risks and don’t go in them?

Archived