Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

BBC report:-

"The R number is below 1.0 in most of the UK, which means coronavirus infections may be falling slightly."

So is a fall from 68,000 to 18,000 only considered a slight fall?

Then there should already be a phasing out of the restrictions in a planned manner as discussed.  By adults. 

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Nah mate, no early start. At the arse-end of a 12 day cocaine and bourbon binge. Just trying to navigate all the dead hookers on the floor so I can get drinks cabinet again to grab the last bottle ?

Wow ,, that’s an exciting cut above the usual home soaking

51 minutes ago, Archied said:

So the r number is your criteria now,  not deaths and serious illness , and your are ok for lockdowns and restrictions to stay until this is below 1 ?

You see, you and others have complained I 'repeat myself', but this heavily implies you've read nothing of what I've written here. Yes, I'd have keeping the reproduction number at 1 or below as the criteria through this process, as it by definition means that cases will be staying constant or dropping throughout. It gives a clear target, and a clear exit strategy from this all. 

There are other criteria to consider of course, it's below 1 now, and given current case numbers you'd want that lower first, but once things are stable and manageable that is a workable strategy. 

23 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Then there should already be a phasing out of the restrictions in a planned manner as discussed.  By adults. 

Once cases are at a manageable level, of course. You wouldn't want to just maintain NHS crushing levels of cases. 

30 minutes ago, Archied said:

Watching Andrew marr show and had a crazy de deja vu moment flashback as the talk of vaccine centring around platforms and versions it took me back to Microsoft windows 

Jeez, you'll have all the Bill Gates wants to control my brain, conspiracy theorists kicking off again.

16 minutes ago, Albert said:

You see, you and others have complained I 'repeat myself', but this heavily implies you've read nothing of what I've written here. Yes, I'd have keeping the reproduction number at 1 or below as the criteria through this process, as it by definition means that cases will be staying constant or dropping throughout. It gives a clear target, and a clear exit strategy from this all. 

There are other criteria to consider of course, it's below 1 now, and given current case numbers you'd want that lower first, but once things are stable and manageable that is a workable strategy. 

Ok so what number lower than 1 can lockdown s and restrictions be discarded 

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

Seemed the talk was by summer we would need to be ,still giving first jabs , giving second jabs and giving new version ( upgraded) jabs , does upgrade jab start all over again from scratch?

No, it's all ok as once the over 50s are vaccinated COVID will just suddenly disappear....puff gone from the face of the earth....never to be seen again 

17 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

No, it's all ok as once the over 50s are vaccinated COVID will just suddenly disappear....puff gone from the face of the earth....never to be seen again 

Don’t really agree with that ,  my point is when it’s level of danger ,death and destruction is massively reduced to tiny numbers by vaccines does it warrant the continuation of lockdowns and restrictions 

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Don’t really agree with that ,  my point is when it’s level of danger ,death and destruction is massively reduced to tiny numbers does it warrant the continuation of lockdowns and restrictions 

Don't know, you only have to look through this thread to see how it's aged, the same people advocating get out of lockdown straight away are the ones that 6 / 12 months ago were saying this had all been overblown.

Thing is, the underlying theme is that it won't warrant the restrictions, but "let's not make the same mistake twice" and let's cover every angle before making that commitment is the approach being taken.

Or as some refer to it, brainwashing everyone with made up facts ?

9 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Don't know, you only have to look through this thread to see how it's aged, the same people advocating get out of lockdown straight away are the ones that 6 / 12 months ago were saying this had all been overblown.

Thing is, the underlying theme is that it won't warrant the restrictions, but "let's not make the same mistake twice" and let's cover every angle before making that commitment is the approach being taken.

Or as some refer to it, brainwashing everyone with made up facts ?

Then it s very difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel ??‍♂️

41 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

No one said it’ll ever go, but the risk/threat/damage won’t be there. Meaning no need for any restrictions, life back to normal and absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t be. 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Once cases are at a manageable level, of course. You wouldn't want to just maintain NHS crushing levels of cases. 

'Crushing levels' ?

Its all gone very quiet on the NHS over here, very strange given that it was 2 weeks from collapse for about 8 weeks.

45 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Agree,  but I think calls to remain in lockdown until diagnosed cases (not deaths) drops to the hundreds a day as has been called for by Jeremy hunt and Chris Chris Hopson are wrong (imo). 

Deaths and hospitalisations are the key measure and if the vaccines are working as intended then deaths could feasibly be at levels like they were in july and August but a couple of thousand a day still getting a mild version of the virus.

Surely we have to start seeing some effect from the vaccine on deaths in the coming weeks. 

Archived