Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

While we are still killing a thousand a day, then absolutely not. I do think that what people considered to be 'normal' in the past might not follow exactly in the future, at least for a year or two. Perhaps we will develop the sort of mentality that the South East Asians have displayed for a number of years, i.e. if you have a cold, then it might in the future be considered polite to wear a mask in public to avoid spraying your snot over others.

Case closed your honour, nothing more for me too add here. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Nothing you have ever said on the subject has been worth reading, so no change there then.

One day you’ll realise It’s not all about you Edward

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nail on head.

I said the other day that the narrative seems to be changing on a weekly basis with something new to scare people.

NHS being overwhelmed 

60,000 infections a day

1,800 deaths a day

New variant 

Length of time the vaccine is effective for 

Vaccine may not be effective against a new variant

To watch so many people just suck it up and regurgitate it really astounds me.

It’s been out there a few days now , the next chant we are hearing , no one is safe until the world is safe ,,, forget about how many are vaccinated in this country as the goalpost s will move to keep plenty of restrictions in place and the need to impose flash lockdown s , not too hard as people are just about conditioned to it now

Just now, TexasRam said:

This, this is exactly what I mean Billy . Why would we back in lockdown after all the vacations have happened? why would we need restrictions in place or new restrictions/lockdowns etc.? New variants? Can you see where I’m coming from now, people have been brainwashed that this will never end. 

Possibly, I'm a big believer in science, what we have done in such a small space of time is amazing and it will only get better. BUT I work in risk, nothing to do with being brainwashed, just common sense, I'd take a summer of social distancing over any possibility of another lockdown. 

Quite simply put, I don't want to be ever in a position again where our schools, pubs, shops or football for example, ever ever have to be in lockdown EVER again. Do I think that we will have it under the control in the summer, yes, do I think having another summer of social distance (why should someone be in my space anyway is a different question) or reminding people to wash their hands (once again, need reminding?) is an overkill, no not really. Call it brainwashing if you wish ?

One question for you, 12, 6 months ago, I take it when this started you knew what this virus was and didn't underestimate it ? Summer last year, you knew it hadn't gone and you were advocating something to control the virus ? Or did you just think it was brainwashing the public ?

41 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would we need a lockdown again in the summer?

The projection is for somewhere between 90 and 99% of people at risk of dying to have been vaccinated by the spring.

If that has been achieved then there is absolutely no reason why the country should not be fully re-opened.

Didn't say it wasn't ?‍♀️

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's all a big conspiracy to you, isn't it? 

No, no conspiracy theory.

The Government know they have made a right royal mess of this and every extra 'Covid death' is an extra black mark against their name. It is literally the only thing they care about right now.

Literally anything they can to create more panic and keep the lockdown extended a little bit longer.

Last year it was sit tight and wait for the vaccine.

Well we have it now.

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Summer last year, you knew it hadn't gone and you were advocating something to control the virus ? Or did you just think it was brainwashing the public ?

Both to be honest , I thought we should of opened up to be honest and still do even through the winter. However now we have a vaccine and the vulnerable have been protected so it’s game over, time to get back to normal no arguments no debates. 

39 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

One day you’ll realise It’s not all about you Edward

You think?? We are all supposed to ruin our lives to keep Eddie safe meanwhile he spits out abuse and insults to those he expects, no rather demands touch they’re forelock and just do it ??‍♂️

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No, no conspiracy theory.

The Government know they have made a right royal mess of this and every extra 'Covid death' is an extra black mark against their name. It is literally the only thing they care about right now.

Literally anything they can to create more panic and keep the lockdown extended a little bit longer.

Last year it was sit tight and wait for the vaccine.

Well we have it now.

Arguing that 'they're making people panic, and they're doing this to save their image' is actually a conspiracy theory of sorts...

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

You think?? We are all supposed to ruin our lives to keep Eddie safe meanwhile he spits out abuse and insults to those he expects, no rather demands touch they’re forelock and just do it ??‍♂️

Lives were ruined and lost by government inaction, at this point people are saving the UK in general. Opening up now would be catastrophic, possibly one of the dumbest moves in human history. 

The last time the government was dumb enough to listen to this kind of thinking, it caused a second wave and has put the country into a long lockdown waiting for the vaccine to save everyone. I don't imagine how anyone could possibly imaging opening up in these conditions could be beneficial. 

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Arguing that 'they're making people panic, and they're doing this to save their image' is actually a conspiracy theory of sorts...

It really isn't, if you lived over here you would probably be able to comment, you don't, so I have absolutely no interest in your thoughts on the matter thank you.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It really isn't, if you lived over here you would probably be able to comment, you don't, so I have absolutely no interest in your thoughts on the matter thank you.

My conspiracy theory is that he has fallen out with EVERYBODY in Australia and is now getting his fix on here , monty python anybody?

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's lovely you feel that way dear, but it is a conspiracy theory, by definition. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm not sure which part you did not understand dear, I have absolutely no interest in your thoughts on the matter.

Which, as noted, is lovely dear, but it is a conspiracy theory, no matter how much you want to pretend it's not. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would we need a lockdown again in the summer?

The projection is for somewhere between 90 and 99% of people at risk of dying to have been vaccinated by the spring.

If that has been achieved then there is absolutely no reason why the country should not be fully re-opened.

Agree with this. 

We can't possibly achieve zero covid unless we vaccinate 100% of the population and quarantine everyone and everything that enters the country, legally or otherwise from now until whenever/forever.

If, as is expected, we've vaccinated all of the over 50s and vulnerable groups by April/May - or in other words, the people that make up 99% of all deaths and hospitalizations, we should absolutely fully reopen.

Callous as it may sound, insurance companies do put values on peoples lives and if we've protected 99% of the most at risk the economy must be allowed to reopen and people allowed to get back to 'normal'. 

There are already numerous debates raging around the long term effects of lockdowns - saving some lives now only to lose others to cancer etc later, unemployment, poverty, starvation etc.  Remaining in lockdown longer than necessary will only exacerbate those problems.

11 minutes ago, Albert said:

Which, as noted, is lovely dear, but it is a conspiracy theory, no matter how much you want to pretend it's not. 

And as already noted, I have absolutely no interest in your thoughts on the matter, so it would probably be best if you stopped wasting your time commenting.

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Agree with this. 

We can't possibly achieve zero covid unless we vaccinate 100% of the population and quarantine everyone and everything that enters the country, legally or otherwise from now until whenever/forever.

If, as is expected, we've vaccinated all of the over 50s and vulnerable groups by April/May - or in other words, the people that make up 99% of all deaths and hospitalizations, we should absolutely fully reopen.

Callous as it may sound, insurance companies do put values on peoples lives and if we've protected 99% of the most at risk the economy must be allowed to reopen and people allowed to get back to 'normal'. 

There are already numerous debates raging around the long term effects of lockdowns - saving some lives now only to lose others to cancer etc later, unemployment, poverty, starvation etc.  Remaining in lockdown longer than necessary will only exacerbate those problems.

But don’t forget the new mantra , no one is safe till the world is safe ( we are going to be hearing that a lot ) which means we must be kept in a constant state of fear and on the verge of or in and out of lockdown s and continuing restrictions until the whole world is vaccinated, let’s watch it unfold 

Archived