Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I are both classed as vulnerable. We received a phone call from our GP on Friday morning last week and had the vaccine on Saturday at the Velodrome - no queues, very efficient and all done inside ten minutes from walking into the main door. Very impressed.

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Infection numbers dropping and the Government introduce a new mass testing programme. 

Call me cynical...

Presumably because they don't want the SA variant to get out of hand like the new UK one did  then maybe we'd get out of lockdown a bit quicker. That's what you want isn't it? I thought you were desperate to go the pub.

Or do you think they are delibereately trying to find more cases, to keep us all under control, and the economy and country's finances in the toilet?

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

if we'd adopted mass testing as the numbers dropped in the first lockdown then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Call me realistic

Didnt we do it prior to the second lockdown?

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Some people who should be taking this disease more seriously aren't really that interested. Whenever I have to go to the shops, it's old couples wandering round the aisles having a browse I see most often. No reason they need to go together and no reason to walk up and down every lane. But it's them that are the most at risk.

My parents are the same. Mid to late seventies and they think because they wear masks and try to social distance, they don't need to worry about it. Out to the shops most days - although they don't need anything (just bored really). Both have health issues and should be avoiding going out as much as they can.

Do they feel that the risk compared to the cost of ALL measures to they’re life quality don’t measure up? Who knows,

there is a point where people cut off the longer this goes on , people do need to live lives , this is very new situation compared to the way people have always managed the personal level of risk in they’re lives?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Presumably because they don't want the SA variant to get out of hand like the new UK one did  then maybe we'd get out of lockdown a bit quicker. That's what you want isn't it? I thought you were desperate to go the pub.

Or do you think they are delibereately trying to find more cases, to keep us all under control, and the economy and country's finances in the toilet?

Well lets see how they use the data from the mass testing before passing judgement.

I won't be surprised though if rising infection numbers becomes the new all important figure justified for extension of lockdown.

And by the way, no I'm not desperate to go to the pub, and I do not know why you would think that? Some more regular adult company would do my mental health the world of good though.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well lets see how they use the data from the mass testing before passing judgement.

I won't be surprised though if rising infection numbers becomes the new all important figure justified for extension of lockdown.

I hope and expect that hospital numbers will be the driver for release of lockdown. As more at-risk people are vaccinated, it then surely matters less about the infection rate in the rest of us.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And by the way, no I'm not desperate to go to the pub, and I do not know why you would think that? Some more regular adult company would do my mental health the world of good though.

Because not long ago, you were complaining about the pubs being shut and how you missed going.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I hope and expect that hospital numbers will be the driver for release of lockdown. As more at-risk people are vaccinated, it then surely matters less about the infection rate in the rest of us.

Yes, I would hope that too, so as I said lets watch and see if the Government start using the numbers from this mass testing, hopefully not. 

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Because not long ago, you were complaining about the pubs being shut and how you missed going.

I remember saying that hospitality venues were being unfairly treated as there was not evidence that the risk there was greater than other venues that have remained closed.

Yes my local pub is where I have most interaction with adults, due to living and working alone. If you think I am complaining that they are not open so I can get just got and get rat arsed every night I'm afraid you are missing the point.

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes my local pub is where I have most interaction with adults, due to living and working alone. If you think I am complaining that they are not open so I can get just got and get rat arsed every night I'm afraid you are missing the point.

Yes that's exactly what I thought ?. Good grief.

Just now, Wolfie said:

Yes that's exactly what I thought ?. Good grief.

Come on we are not stupid on here, we all know that when people throw around comments like yours what is meant.

The government are trying to test people who are living in the areas where there as been reported cases of the South African variant of the virus. They have have also issued a statement asking people to stay home and not travel. I think Matt Hancock said it was imperative that people complied with these instructions. If the are so concerned about the spreading of the variant, why did it not ban people coming into the country from SA sooner? Infact why haven't we imposed a complete ban on everyone coming into country?

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Come on we are not stupid on here, we all know that when people throw around comments like yours what is meant.

What?. Is it because I used the word "desperate"

Definition: (of a person) having a great need or desire for something

Do you, or do you not desire to go back to the pub?.

Don't answer that. You're in WUM mode and it's boring.

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Some people who should be taking this disease more seriously aren't really that interested. Whenever I have to go to the shops, it's old couples wandering round the aisles having a browse I see most often. No reason they need to go together and no reason to walk up and down every lane. But it's them that are the most at risk.

My parents are the same. Mid to late seventies and they think because they wear masks and try to social distance, they don't need to worry about it. Out to the shops most days - although they don't need anything (just bored really). Both have health issues and should be avoiding going out as much as they can.

Read a report recently that it's the under 30s demographic that has had the most amount of fines for breaking Covid rules hoyed their way which doesn't surprise me in the slightest - just through my social media accounts Insta especially gives you a barometer of what people are doing or not doing and without fail from that age group there's a constant stream of posts with house parties, boyfriends or girlfriends round multiple occupation residences, road trips to KFC in a car packed with friends the list goes on.

It's the people in that age range that don't get it not the older generation. 

31 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Read a report recently that it's the under 30s demographic that has had the most amount of fines for breaking Covid rules hoyed their way which doesn't surprise me in the slightest - just through my social media accounts Insta especially gives you a barometer of what people are doing or not doing and without fail from that age group there's a constant stream of posts with house parties, boyfriends or girlfriends round multiple occupation residences, road trips to KFC in a car packed with friends the list goes on.

I think the younger generation are more likely to flaunt any restrictions. The older generation are the ones I see walking on the high street though, probably thinking it's perfectly acceptable and not breaking any rules - but it's not exactly looking out for themselves.

9 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think the younger generation are more likely to flaunt any restrictions. The older generation are the ones I see walking on the high street though, probably thinking it's perfectly acceptable and not breaking any rules - but it's not exactly looking out for themselves.

Good , perhaps we can move away from scapegoat mode and blaming ,, 

27 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We are literally never, ever going to be out of lockdown at this rate...

The mutation of the virus shouldn't be overlooked, whilst these are "setbacks" that can be expected, every effort to control their spread should be made.

Unfortunately there are some that don't look at the picture though and see this as some government ploy ?

42 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'm not sure using social media is a great barometer of what the general public are doing.

Also i'm not sure the older generation are well renowned for taking selfies or videoing what they are doing and posting it on social media?

Archived