Coronavirus

1of4

20 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Of course there’s a new strain, if it wasn’t that it’d be “long Covid” they try and scare us with.

Our society and way of life is being destroyed, job losses at record high. I hope it’s all worth it. 

THEY'RE TRYING TO SCARE US!!!

*Posts about unemployment being set to rise*

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course you’re right. How silly of us not to see the truth.

The governments, medical experts and scientists throughout most of the world have clearly got a hidden agenda to destroy economies and people’s lives. (Sarcasm alert in case I was too subtle). All we’ve got to figure out now is what they’ve got gain from it.

It may not have been planned but the pandemic has given the wealthy the means to screw smaller businesses out of existence, increasing their profits in the short term and clearing out competition in the long term.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/07/covid-19-crisis-boosts-the-fortunes-of-worlds-billionaires

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

It may not have been planned but the pandemic has given the wealthy the means to screw smaller businesses out of existence, increasing their profits in the short term and clearing out competition in the long term.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/07/covid-19-crisis-boosts-the-fortunes-of-worlds-billionaires

The likes of Amazon were well prepared for people shopping from home. It has been obvious that more and more people were turning to online shopping for a very long time and it was short-sighted of 'small shop owners' not to move into that market before Covid struck. There's also the cost factor as well. Not only is it cheaper to buy something online than it is from 'small shops', but you save money on not paying for the fuel to get you there and back. Environmentally, it's better too as it's one van delivering 100's of items along an efficiently planned route vs 100's of cars driving to and from the shops.

Covid's just brought the inevitable forward.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course you’re right. How silly of us not to see the truth.

The governments, medical experts and scientists throughout most of the world have clearly got a hidden agenda to destroy economies and people’s lives. (Sarcasm alert in case I was too subtle). All we’ve got to figure out now is what they’ve got gain from it.

Scaremongering and mass hysteria delivered by scientists who for me have lost all credibility with their woeful projections, data manipulation and let’s be honest, lies . Poorly handled imo. I guessing by your retort your opinion is different to mine and you’ll continue to follow the science in blind panic. 

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The likes of Amazon were well prepared for people shopping from home. It has been obvious that more and more people were turning to online shopping for a very long time and it was short-sighted of 'small shop owners' not to move into that market before Covid struck. There's also the cost factor as well. Not only is it cheaper to buy something online than it is from 'small shops', but you save money on not paying for the fuel to get you there and back. Environmentally, it's better too as it's one van delivering 100's of items along an efficiently planned route vs 100's of cars driving to and from the shops.

Cant disagree with that. Sad as it is the High Street (as we know it today), is a thing of the past and big business, Amazon etc, are clearing up and becoming more and more powerful. Saying that, Amazon does also a platform for small business to flourish. There are others as well Etsy for example. Small businesses don't need to have massive sites of their own. The opportunity is there if they think about it.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

THEY'RE TRYING TO SCARE US!!!

*Posts about unemployment being set to rise*

Unemployment and poverty are a huge issue in this country, which I’m guessing doesn’t effect. This is only going to get worse and people’s livelihoods are destroyed and eventually state support will be removed or reduced to pay for all this. 

So yes they are using scaremongering to keep people from fighting back against the crazy rules that a closing businesses and ruining life’s. 

19 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Scaremongering and mass hysteria delivered by scientists who for me have lost all credibility with their woeful projections, data manipulation and let’s be honest, lies . Poorly handled imo. I guessing by your retort your opinion is different to mine and you’ll continue to follow the science in blind panic. 

I'm not panicking and I'm not blind but, by and large, I do generally trust the scientists and medical experts.

I would agree there has been an element of poor management, and doubtful projections however, I'm not prepared to throw the baby out with the bath water and simply dismiss all of the other warnings and expert opinions just because some of the information received could be flawed. 

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Unemployment and poverty are a huge issue in this country, which I’m guessing doesn’t effect. This is only going to get worse and people’s livelihoods are destroyed and eventually state support will be removed or reduced to pay for all this. 

Nobody every said they weren't issues, but the increase in such is a result of the systematic mismanagement of the crisis to this point. Ultimately though, they're left with few options due to the choices that have been made up to now.

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

So yes they are using scaremongering to keep people from fighting back against the crazy rules that a closing businesses and ruining life’s. 

Lives are being ruined by the virus, and letting it run wild would only cause further pain across all areas. The data is pretty clear at this point, and we have numerous examples of how proper management protects lives, and the economy, in both the mid and long term. 

29 minutes ago, Albert said:

Nobody every said they weren't issues, but the increase in such is a result of the systematic mismanagement of the crisis to this point. Ultimately though, they're left with few options due to the choices that have been made up to now.

Lives are being ruined by the virus, and letting it run wild would only cause further pain across all areas. The data is pretty clear at this point, and we have numerous examples of how proper management protects lives, and the economy, in both the mid and long term. 

I think we agree this had been dreadfully managed. Unfortunately it still is and rules that make no sense without scientific evidence are being used and backed up with sound bites from our politicians to scare the populous into believing them. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

This has been a long time coming and Covid was the final nail in the coffin. Amazon are hardly the new kid on the block and have been around for ages ditto Asos, Very, Boo Boo, Pretty Little Things and the list goes on. 

We live in a disposable society now, who wants to go into a city centre spend money on parking when you can order clothes at home and if you don't like them or they don't fit just send them back.

Look at Debenhams, House of Fraser, Philip Greens empire they are all dinosaurs, prehistoric. Evolve or die. 

55 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

We live in a disposable society now, who wants to go into a city centre spend money on parking when you can order clothes at home and if you don't like them or they don't fit just send them back.

Lots still do. It's a social thing as well. A bit of a mooch, lunch, coffee, meet friends. Don't knock it, it's important.

Plenty like to see, feel and touch things before they buy. I am looking for a new suite, no way would I buy that off the internet. Any furniture, the same. Clothes, easily returned, no problem. The High Street will evolve, it has to.  

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Lots still do. It's a social thing as well. A bit of a mooch, lunch, coffee, meet friends. Don't knock it, it's important.

Plenty like to see, feel and touch things before they buy. I am looking for a new suite, no way would I buy that off the internet. Any furniture, the same. Clothes, easily returned, no problem. The High Street will evolve, it has to.  

Wasn't knocking it just an observation on how things have evolved if that's the correct word. I agree that shopping used to be an experience but now it's just seen more of a transaction when you can sit at home look through websites then order online without leaving the confines of your own house. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Look at Debenhams, House of Fraser, Philip Greens empire they are all dinosaurs, prehistoric. Evolve or die. 

TBH it has always been this way. Blockbuster video was massive, but didn't feel it had to evolve.

Woolworths became so weak that it overly relied on Christmas trade for survival - two pooh Christmases and it was a goner.

Retail is always moving, and a lot has now moved online. I said in a previous post greedy high street landlords have also made it just about not worth it having a shop somewhere nice if a chain is starting out.

The biggest department store is now Amazon.

The pandemic has just sped up the process of shift.

The best and most innovative high street chains will survive, fast churn of stock backed up by strong online ordering. People want to buy it and go, but also want 'an experience' too - up to date shops and good customer service. 

Its also competitive don't forget - Debenhams will die so that M & S will live kind of thing.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think that's relatively naive considering the barriers to market entry big firms such as Amazon can implement or naturally have, they use their monopolistic power to buy out smaller firms and there by deny any real competitors with you also have to consider the capital you need to have to start a small business especially in this period and also the fact not all businesses are able to simply go into the online side if it isn't as viable or there is significant barriers to profitability. 

Also have to consider the social factors associated with markets and commerce and human interaction. If Covid measures were permanent it would be some of the most disgusting, fraudulent and anti Liberal measures ever to be implemented and if these measures continue long term the impacts will be severe. 

Markets work by their own situational factors involved and rules of profit and loss within markets so this talk of government intervention to forcibly close physical markets as a natural market process is laughable. Yes it may have just accelerated already existing trends but at what costs to society and what rights do government have to decide who fails through the legal forcing of closure for long periods. 

It looks like the Christmas rules are under review, at least, with changes possible. Gove is talking to all other UK first ministers this afternoon & Starmer is wanting a Cobra meeting.

What's worse?. Keep the planned relaxation of rules and risk a huge increase in cases in January, or tighten them, many people decide to do their own thing & breaking the rules becomes the norm?.

5 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Unemployment and poverty are a huge issue in this country

yes they are, but a majority of people are generally selfish about such things that don't currently affect them. Same with Covid

The same majority who didn't seem to give a damn about unemployment and poverty, or protecting small businesses and communities when it came to the last election. 

32 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

It looks like the Christmas rules are under review, at least, with changes possible. Gove is talking to all other UK first ministers this afternoon & Starmer is wanting a Cobra meeting.

What's worse?. Keep the planned relaxation of rules and risk a huge increase in cases in January, or tighten them, many people decide to do their own thing & breaking the rules becomes the norm?.

Its a tough one, and i feel its another damned if you do by any government. I think similar approaches are happening elsewhere in europe.

My view is if there was no lifting of restrictions people will just do it anyway, and without a guideline on the number of households they might just think well if im breaking the rules i might aswell go all out.

The lifting of the restrictions gives some guidance and maybe will make people stop and think and limit their interaction.

People will still bend the rules of course.

I would like to think people will act responsibly regardless but my faith in people doing that is diminishing, including people in my own circle of friends and family.

There are no lifting of restrictions for NYE but willing to bet people will still mix against the rules of the tier they are in.

The housing market dictates the most materials, the most wages, and the most debt. 

It dictates so much, we can't let it collapse. 

Mass redundancies and unemployment will make that harder to keep away. 

A housing market collapse, unemployment, mass redundancies and an environment where small businesses are unable to start or to get funding, and we're in big, big ducking trouble. 

It's an annoying argument saying that times are changing, or it would have happened anyway. 

Not at this speed, not at this rate. That will cause repercussions. Like a housing market collapse. 

Can't pay rent, house prices falter? Then the landlords sell. More houses than demand, houses fall in price (more landlords now sell) , people trapped in negative equity, people being forced to sell through no or lower paid jobs..... And bang. 

That could happen. It wouldn't happen if High Streets naturally progressed. 

Archived