Coronavirus

1of4

ramit, with the latest local and personal news from Iceland where things are heating up.

Two days ago we were at 250 infected, yesterday it jumped to 330, an increase from 44 the day before to 80.  To put that into perspective, that would equate to over 300.000 USA citizens having been found infected with the virus.  The local team in charge of battling this thing held a live meeting at 2pm, as they do every day, where they put forward their prediction model that we will have reached peak infection rate hopefully by April 7.  Clearly, a large percentage of Icelanders will get this.  All age groups are at risk of falling ill, for we don't know if there are more than two strains and how they are affecting different age groups.

The head of the town council and conservative party member in Garðabær, a town of 14000 people situated 10 minutes from Reykjavík tells people in the town to go out and have a good time, shop, go to restaurants, keep the spending going for goodness sake.  She is being harshly criticized by many, naturally.

Iceland's justice minister posted a reminder of laws passed in 2008 requiring all between 18-65 to be available for public service work as required during an emergency situation without receiving any wages or compensation for lost income, or job loss as a result of this requirement.  Anyone skipping town or country, or in any other way evading the civil duty will receive up to 3 years in prison.  The jobs are numerous of course and one of them is to assist with police work.  i have no problem doing what i can to help my fellow countrymen in times of need, but i will not under any circumstances take part in quelling civil unrest or riots for the police, would rather go to prison.  If we are found to be virus free, we will volunteer for assisting the organization that hands out food packages to the needy, as they have today appealed for much needed volunteers to assist them.

i had my test done just earlier.  Waited in our car in a line of other cars.  One man was taking the test through the car windows, with two young ladies assisting him.  They did not have on hazmat suits, just disposable clothes covers and regular face masks, the cheap kind.  i felt for them having to do this in such risky attire.  Found out upon investigating that the EU has forbidden sale of any medical gear to countries outside the EU.  They are trying to buy these things from China now as i understand it.

A long qtip like pin was stuck and spun very far up my nostril and the same end then stuck half way down my throat and that was that.  Will hopefully know tomorrow if i am infected.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Panic buyers have cleared the supermarket shelves of hummus and guacamole.

It's going to be a double dip recession.

The first video has surprisingly colorful language, explaining the situation many elderly folks find themselves in.

This guy has plenty of everything.  Hope he is found, the goods confiscated and distributed to the needy and he thrown in a deep dark pit.

9 minutes ago, ramit said:

The first video has surprisingly colorful language, explaining the situation many elderly folks find themselves in.

This guy has plenty of everything.  Hope he is found, the goods confiscated and distributed to the needy and he thrown in a deep dark pit.

I would hope that the second video is a spoof, because with the amount of oil and fresh fruit he's got he'll be frying rotten fruit once he's finished everything else.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

I would hope that the second video is a spoof, because with the amount of oil and fresh fruit he's got he'll be frying rotten fruit once he's finished everything else.

Selling goods for large profit would be my guess.  As you say, hopefully a spoof.

Have I got this wrong?

I'm sure I've heard it said that we're three weeks behind Italy in terms of the phase of the virus. Three weeks ago, Italy were averaging just less than 12 deaths a day (7 on the 24Feb, 11 on 25/2, 12 on 26/2 and 17 on 27/2). Over the last three days we have averaged 26 per day (33, 16 and 20). Does that suggest, the trajectory for the UK is worse than Italy? 

Surely I must have made a mistake somewhere. 

26 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Have I got this wrong?

I'm sure I've heard it said that we're three weeks behind Italy in terms of the phase of the virus. Three weeks ago, Italy were averaging just less than 12 deaths a day (7 on the 24Feb, 11 on 25/2, 12 on 26/2 and 17 on 27/2). Over the last three days we have averaged 26 per day (33, 16 and 20). Does that suggest, the trajectory for the UK is worse than Italy? 

Surely I must have made a mistake somewhere. 

Is that because Italy locked down quite quickly and severely while our government have been doing some sort of experiment in letting it run unchecked?

7 minutes ago, curb said:

Is that because Italy locked down quite quickly and severely while our government have been doing some sort of experiment in letting it run unchecked?

Who knows. A potentially worrying trend but, let's hope our curve is a lot flatter (but not at the expense of being longer). 

40 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Our local Belper corner shop in the 1970s - Millingtons on Whitemoor Road - promoted free candles in the power cuts.

They were individually sellotaped to other grocery items like bags of sugar. His business boomed (briefly)......?

We are down to a pack of one-ply loo roll that a store assistant was putting back to the empty shelves that somebody decided they didn't want earlier this week.

I couldn't believe my luck, so I snagged it.

Holy crap and holely crap.

This stuff is thinner than Donald Trump's skin.

I'm literally having to fold it over 4 times.

Now I know why the other person didn't want it, they remembered they had a box of sandpaper in the garage.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

We are down to a pack of one-ply loo roll that a store assistant was putting back to the empty shelves that somebody decided they didn't want earlier this week.

I couldn't believe my luck, so I snagged it.

Holy crap and holely crap.

This stuff is thinner than Donald Trump's skin.

I'm literally having to fold it over 4 times.

Now I know why the other person didn't want it, they remembered they had a box of sandpaper in the garage.

Reminds me of Daveos old thread, how many sheets do you use per wipe? 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Are the shop owners any greedier than the people who are hoarding the same items at home 

No, there is nothing good to say about either. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Are the shop owners any greedier than the people who are hoarding the same items at home 

I think they are Tyler because the people who are hoarding are only doing so because they are thick. The shopkeepers on the other hand are (a) profiteering and (b) taking advantage of those that cannot get to the supermarket where I’m willing to bet Mr/Ms Cornershop got their toilet rolls fromin the first instance.

Archived