Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

No such thing as isolated Uni halls though. I know 3 people with kids at Nottingham Trent Uni at the moment. All freshers, all in different halls, all have tested postive, and all their halls are rife with it. They don't know each other, but they have all been out in the various student nights at pubs, mingling with the student population. But these pubs aren't staffed by students - they are staffed by people from the community, the trams and buses and taxis are driven by people in the community, shops where they buy their stuff - staffed by the community.

Cases in Nottingham have risen seven-fold in a matter of days. This is the exact exponential scenario that we warned about and a lot of people poo-pooed. OK, so no students have died yet, but they will. There will be students with pre-existing conditions who won't be so lucky as those who just feel a bit "under the weather" and don't take isolation seriously

Do we know how many Chinese students at this University are affected by the virus? Asking for a friend.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Albert said:

The point with Australia is that the Covid-free states

Well go and bloody enjoy them, go surfing, have a BBQ pet a bloody Koala bear. Enjoy your freedom, sunshine and lovely country. That’s what I’d do, I certainly wouldn’t be arguing with us bunch of muppets on a football forum about bloody Covid. Get a life pal

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Do we know how many Chinese students at this University are affected by the virus? Asking for a friend.

Touche old friend! Haha - remember when it was just the Chinese students being blamed. Oh I miss those days

30 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

How do we know they are mistake responses, though?. Once a course of action is chosen, we can only speculate as to what other outcomes would have been

Erm - as an example, track and trace. They realised it was important, chose that course of action to implement it. It was a terrible botched implementation. The other outcome would have been a fully working, useful track and trace system

1 minute ago, TexasRam said:

Well go and bloody enjoy them, go surfing, have a BBQ pet a bloody Koala bear. Enjoy your freedom, sunshine and lovely country. That’s what I’d do, I certainly wouldn’t be arguing with us bunch of muppets on a football forum about bloody Covid. Get a life pal

Surfing, while it's been raining, in the middle of the night on a weeknight? You sure know how to party. 

It's interesting that you've switched from actually discussing the points raised to just sniping at other posters though. 

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Surfing, while it's been raining, in the middle of the night on a weeknight? You sure know how to party. 

It's interesting that you've switched from actually discussing the points raised to just sniping at other posters though. 

Just getting bored with it 

12 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Not watched the news or a morning show for 4 months +. Watched for an hour this morning.

Wow was it depressing.

No wonder so many people are miserable and in fear. 

That pesky ‘knowing what’s going on’ is always a bugger ain’t it

34 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

For those missing my graphs and I new one for you 

9FC73098-C641-41A0-B3B0-52F1B658080E.png

AF279231-0126-4B52-8D76-A2A9F635257A.jpeg

I hate to call you out on this, but I have a real problem with the number of names in that graph that are outright racist. Japanese smallpox, Persian plague, Italian plague. This kind of language is highly dangerous and definitely* results in people from the targeted groups being attacked in the street.

*any requests for evidence are racist, so don't bother asking.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

I hate to call you out on this, but I have a real problem with the number of names in that graph that are outright racist. Japanese smallpox, Persian plague, Italian plague. This kind of language is highly dangerous and definitely* results in people from the targeted groups being attacked in the street.

That must be why you don't see many Persians around nowadays (and why the cats are so jumpy)....

41 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

That must be why you don't see many Persians around nowadays (and why the cats are so jumpy)....

Next door's Persian, Jethro Q Naughtykitty, used to be really skittish but is now very bold, so I guess the effects of the plague are wearing off.

3 hours ago, maxjam said:

Whilst the timing of this is rather stupid, it seems like MPs should be paid more than 80k. Would be good to encourage successful people to become politicians. 

Someone who has showed the acumen to rise to a senior position in a company/public service seems to be a good fit for making decisions that are important to the whole country.

Regardless of what you think about Johnson and Gove, being a journalist doesn't seem like the sort of job that produces the skills and experience for some of the most senior jobs in the land.

Sunak seems good but he is probably in politics as his father-in-law is one of the richest people in India. Would he have left his senior finance job without this cushion? Starmer seems suitable for the job too, as his important previous legal job would help with.

Apologies, just realised this is about politics, but hopefully no one finds it too political. It was just meant to be a general point about how we pay MPs a similar amount to an ok software developer. Seems a bit strange.

25 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Whilst the timing of this is rather stupid, it seems like MPs should be paid more than 80k. Would be good to encourage successful people to become politicians. 

Someone who has showed the acumen to rise to a senior position in a company/public service seems to be a good fit for making decisions that are important to the whole country.

Regardless of what you think about Johnson and Gove, being a journalist doesn't seem like the sort of job that produces the skills and experience for some of the most senior jobs in the land.

Sunak seems good but he is probably in politics as his father-in-law is one of the richest people in India. Would he have left his senior finance job without this cushion? Starmer seems suitable for the job too, as his important previous legal job would help with.

Apologies, just realised this is about politics, but hopefully no one finds it too political. It was just meant to be a general point about how we pay MPs a similar amount to an ok software developer. Seems a bit strange.

80k for a part time job seems fair enough. As does 100k, if you're Chris Grayling.

6 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

80k for a part time job seems fair enough. As does 100k, if you're Chris Grayling.

If you can supplement your income with your partner/other means then yes, but I think the argument comes when an MP is, for example, a single parent that needs a secondary home in London and all of a sudden £80k doesn’t go very far in a highly stressful job. This is third hand knowledge but its no real surprise that MPs end up living in cramped home shares across London to try and save money. I guess the argument really is a bit extra cash probably helps to pay for a slightly better living standard, but obviously it’s not needed for all MPs 

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Agreed and keeping with the theme it should be called the Chinese virus says Don

3 hours ago, Anon said:

What’s quite sad is I don’t know if you’re joking or not 

6 hours ago, maxjam said:

And a £10,000 grant no questions asked to set-up an "office" at home, WTF!

Archived