Coronavirus

1of4

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah, I think Corbyn was stupid for doing that too. However, it was far less riskier that what Cummings did and he was just mainly endangering the other idiots at the dinner party.

Breaking rules when no one has symptoms is stupid. Breaking rules when your household has already displayed serious symptoms is unforgivable.

Having a wife who used her position to lie about your actions is terrible.

Telling people they can see your phone records to prove you didn't repeat your rule breaking journey, then not letting anyone see said records suggests you are lying. Again.

Editing your blog posts to pretend that you had previously warned of the dangers of such pandemics to help shift opinion on your actions is highly deceitful.

Taking a child on a long car journey with another adult who has severe symptoms is borderline cruelty.

Taking a child on car drive to check your eye sight is ok to drive (!) is worse than going out for a trip to get some fresh air.

Doing all this whilst you are one of the key public figures responsible for managing the outbreak of a deadly pandemic is shocking. And escaping any sort of censure shows how pathetic our system has become.

Good glad to know that we are holding everyone to the same standards and I look forward to your calls for Jeremy Corbyn to resign.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Cardinal said:

For me its all about risk. If you are OK taking the "risk" of catching covid then you should be allowed to go about your business. You can take the precautions you want to, eg. wash your hands. If you are worried about catching it then stay indoors, isolate, do whatever you feel is best for you. 

The risk is not just about catching it - it's passing it on to people possibly more vulnerable than yourself.

Like I pointed out yesterday, I'm classified as 'highly vulnerable' owing to my age and medical history. Swine flu nearly killed me, and left me with a lung condition that now, more than a decade later, requires me to still have tests because body's my oxygen uptake is not what it was (my lungs are shot). Consequently, I had to shelter. The current rate of infection, largely down to people who are 'OK taking the "risk" of catching covid" means that sheltering might be my 'normal' for the rest of my life.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Yup, that's the behaviour of an idiot, can't bring myself to say misguided. Whether it's getting on a tube after being tested positive, or shaking hands in a covid ward, or driving to Barnard Castle, we know our supposed leaders are paying lip service to the rules. Is it a surprise when the public don't follow them? 

I'm wary of saying 'idiot', 'moron', 'cretin', 'head the ball' or 'covidiot' because I do enjoy posting on here and understand the consequences of failing to abide by the rules. So 'misguided' it is.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I'm wary of saying 'idiot', 'moron', 'cretin', 'head the ball' or 'covidiot' because I do enjoy posting on here and understand the consequences of failing to abide by the rules. So 'misguided' it is.

I think head the ball is OK. Especially in the match day thread. 

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Made even worse by people, for some inexplicable reason, pretending not to understand very simple instructions.

To be fair, it needed a great leap of faith by the Government to think that people from the North could keeping washing their hands regularly for more than a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Do you forget you post almost the same thing every day. 

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The risk is not just about catching it - it's passing it on to people possibly more vulnerable than yourself.

Like I pointed out yesterday, I'm classified as 'highly vulnerable' owing to my age and medical history. Swine flu nearly killed me, and left me with a lung condition that now, more than a decade later, requires me to still have tests because body's my oxygen uptake is not what it was (my lungs are shot). Consequently, I had to shelter. The current rate of infection, largely down to people who are 'OK taking the "risk" of catching covid" means that sheltering might be my 'normal' for the rest of my life.

Is the risk factor not similar to driving a car though. We all quite happily get in a car without much consideration but there is a risk you could have an accident and cause harm to other people. And in some of those cases the person may fall into a vulnerable category. We take steps to reduce that risk, eg. Speed limits, Seat belts, etc. Can we not take the same approach with this, eg. Wash hands, wear a mask. 

I saw your posts about having swine flu and needing to be extra careful due to this. I sympathise with your situation. I haven't seen my mum since Christmas because she falls into the vulnerable category. I speak to her regularly and she is terrified of going out. And I don't think she will until a vaccine is available. Its hard to hear. And frustrating when based on my experience it appears not that easy to catch if you take the right steps. 

I saw posts as well about the whole suicide vs covid deaths and how no poster knew anyone to commit suicide. Just to provide balance to that argument, my sister is a GP in the North East. Three of her patients at her practice have committed suicide in the last 3 months. That is compared to one on average every 3 years. Know its not on the same scale but just thought I would add that perspective. 

6 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Washing hands is clearly important, but it isn't the answer on its own. We've seen big numbers of infections in food production, where people have to wash in and out of the plant. It's only one part of the solution. 

I work in a food manufacturer. A large number of the recent Covid 19 outbreaks in food manufacturers have been linked not to poor personal hygiene but down to practices such as car sharing for example. 

As you quite rightly state there are a number of measures to combat the spread, face masks are mandatory within the factory, there are defined one way systems to limit personal interaction, perspex screens between workstations and proactive temperature logging of every person on site daily. 

1 hour ago, Cardinal said:

Is the risk factor not similar to driving a car though. We all quite happily get in a car without much consideration but there is a risk you could have an accident and cause harm to other people. And in some of those cases the person may fall into a vulnerable category. We take steps to reduce that risk, eg. Speed limits, Seat belts, etc. Can we not take the same approach with this, eg. Wash hands, wear a mask. 

I saw your posts about having swine flu and needing to be extra careful due to this. I sympathise with your situation. I haven't seen my mum since Christmas because she falls into the vulnerable category. I speak to her regularly and she is terrified of going out. And I don't think she will until a vaccine is available. Its hard to hear. And frustrating when based on my experience it appears not that easy to catch if you take the right steps. 

I saw posts as well about the whole suicide vs covid deaths and how no poster knew anyone to commit suicide. Just to provide balance to that argument, my sister is a GP in the North East. Three of her patients at her practice have committed suicide in the last 3 months. That is compared to one on average every 3 years. Know its not on the same scale but just thought I would add that perspective. 

Have you had a test to see if you have had coronavirus?

7 hours ago, Cardinal said:

Completely agree that there have been serious errors made. 

I just find it interesting that all that we need to do to kill it is wash our hands with soap. If everyone did this surely it would stop the virus. A much better option than locking down the country. 

I get that it's unfortunately not that simple. 

You do realise that this is mainly an airborne disease?  

7 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Washing hands is clearly important, but it isn't the answer on its own. We've seen big numbers of infections in food production, where people have to wash in and out of the plant. It's only one part of the solution. 

But the problem is that not all of them DO wash their hands. The dirty sods do my head in.

18 minutes ago, sage said:

You do realise that this is mainly an airborne disease?  

According to the WHO it is considered a droplet transmission type virus which is different to airborne. I guess that's why they tell us to wash out hands as the droplets get onto a surface and can transfer to you from there. If you stand close enough to someone coughing or sneezing then you can catch it from there too. Guess that's the thinking behind the mask wearing.

Two fairly simple things to stop transmission. Wash hands, wear a mask. Do that and you can go on your merry way, spending money, supporting the economy, saving jobs, seeing friends and family and ultimately living as normal a life as possible until a vaccine is released. 

7 minutes ago, sage said:

Was that 'do you have it test' or a 'have you had it test'?

Do you have it test. Assuming it is to see how prevalent it is in certain areas at certain times. Had to complete a long questionnaire about what activities I had done for the past few weeks. Guess they use that to see where people who test positive might have got it from. Hopefully giving them loads of data they can use to make better informed decisions rather than these blanket ones they appear to be making now. 

1 minute ago, Cardinal said:

According to the WHO it is considered a droplet transmission type virus which is different to airborne. I guess that's why they tell us to wash out hands as the droplets get onto a surface and can transfer to you from there. If you stand close enough to someone coughing or sneezing then you can catch it from there too. Guess that's the thinking behind the mask wearing.

Two fairly simple things to stop transmission. Wash hands, wear a mask. Do that and you can go on your merry way, spending money, supporting the economy, saving jobs, seeing friends and family and ultimately living as normal a life as possible until a vaccine is released. 

The vast majority of people who catch is by breathing in droplets, so masks are the most important factor, but only if everyone does it. Would you feel confident seeing your Mum whilst wearing a mask out of interest?

1 minute ago, Cardinal said:

Do you have it test. Assuming it is to see how prevalent it is in certain areas at certain times. Had to complete a long questionnaire about what activities I had done for the past few weeks. Guess they use that to see where people who test positive might have got it from. Hopefully giving them loads of data they can use to make better informed decisions rather than these blanket ones they appear to be making now. 

so while you were doing all the things you listed you could have had it? as 80% of people infected show mild or no symptoms? 

Archived