Coronavirus

1of4

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Nah just at a school astro. Are DW saying no footy then?

To be fair DW I think are allowing, outside at least, but it’s crap there compared to where we played.

We were on the Astro at Melbourne Rugby club - but they have now stopped it. What school are you using and is it confirmed that it’s still continuing? Don’t worry - I’m not about to be a Boris snitch lol. I’m all for allowing it but maybe a chance we can use it as leverage?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Genuine question, the increase in positive tests...is that simply reflecting the fact that more people are going for tests? 

Until recently I literally knew a handful of people who had been tested, now it feels like every man and his dog is being tested! . At least 20 people I know well have been for tests in the last week or so (all negative so far). Mostly prompted by a cough and slight cold/illness (that was presumably caught off other children in school). Schools are obviously encouraging them to be tested with those symptoms and Doctor surgeries likewise. Schools being open is spreading minor colds etc and also makes parents more aware of the need to test whereas before schools were open they probably just kept to themselves for a few days. 

I think there is a genuine increase in positive cases. Questions I’m wondering are:

1) Do we assume younger people did catch this a lot in March/April but just so many were not ‘bad enough’ to be permitted for a test? Now we test everything, if you can get a test. 

2) What causes a significant drop since April and steady increase now? The ‘cold’ weather hasn’t kicked in yet, places have been open for a while so why is it September onwards is increasing?

Im still curious on the False Positive rate especially if a lot more people with ‘colds’ are going for tests - colds that may be originating and spreading in schools.

5 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

This was my experience last week. My son was tested at Toyota on Monday morning and we didn't get the results until late Friday evening

I couldn't even get a test slot for me so gave up trying and figured I'd try again if he was positive (he wasn't)

We had the same experience of 119 - total waste of time. But that said, when I was tested in early August the results hadn't arrived after 72 hours so I rang 119 and got through to find that all they do is put a "resubmit" on the test and tell you that you have to wait a further 72 hours, so I wouldn't worry about it - total shambles

I live in Germany, and last week I came down with a rotten cough and sinusitis. I rang in on the Monday and my doctor insisted on a Covid test. She did it herself the next day in her own surgery with all the personal protective equipment. The results (negative) came two days later and on Friday I went to get my antibiotics. It all went like clockwork. Why can't "world-beating" Britain do the same.

14 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I live in Germany, and last week I came down with a rotten cough and sinusitis. I rang in on the Monday and my doctor insisted on a Covid test. She did it herself the next day in her own surgery with all the personal protective equipment. The results (negative) came two days later and on Friday I went to get my antibiotics. It all went like clockwork. Why can't "world-beating" Britain do the same.

As Johnson said yesterday, it's harder for us as we are way more freedom loving than the Germans. It's just not cricket.

41 minutes ago, rammieib said:

To be fair DW I think are allowing, outside at least, but it’s crap there compared to where we played.

We were on the Astro at Melbourne Rugby club - but they have now stopped it. What school are you using and is it confirmed that it’s still continuing? Don’t worry - I’m not about to be a Boris snitch lol. I’m all for allowing it but maybe a chance we can use it as leverage?

I'm 2 hours drive from Derbyshire so probably a bit too far for you! The new rules yesterday barred indoor sports so seems to imply outdoor is fine. 

MaccyD's closing all restaurants again between from 10.00pm daily. Drive Thru only at participating restaurants. Not a patron of their establishments as their food is rank but it hardly an uplifting portent by any stretch.

ducking dreading another extended lockdown now to be honest, but I think it's coming. I'll abide by the rules like a the obedient sucker that I am, but I'm beginning to really loathe this government.

40 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

MaccyD's closing all restaurants again between from 10.00pm daily. Drive Thru only at participating restaurants. Not a patron of their establishments as their food is rank but it hardly an uplifting portent by any stretch.

ducking dreading another extended lockdown now to be honest, but I think it's coming. I'll abide by the rules like a the obedient sucker that I am, but I'm beginning to really loathe this government.

Out of interest, what could they do in the current situation that you would find acceptable?

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Without trying to sound flippant or casual there's some things that I haven't missed from lockdown but only realised that due to not being able to participate in them. Going for a lips and bum hole processed snack after ten at night is one of them but could name a raft of other things too.

Half measures are the curse of society at the moment. I've been to the pub many times since lockdown ended but found no enjoyment drinking in what is now a sterile environment so don't bother anymore.

I worked all the way through lockdown so didn't feel as much as an effect as those who were furloughed or unfortunately lost their jobs. I'm fortunate in that respect. I don't go to the gym as prefer to go running or cycling so again the lockdown didn't affect me one iota in that respect. 

Anyway not trying to demean other people's personal challenges just trying to make the point that going back to a lockdown again won't have the same effect for all people.

8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Thanks for the heads up. Heartening and informative in equal measures.

I think that was meant as a sarcastic comment but can never tell on here ? the humour is often far too subtle for my rudimentary sensibilities.

If it wasn't then a thousand apologies in advance.

7 hours ago, Uptherams said:

On one hand this isn’t a great bit of news.

However, you could turn it on it’s head and suggest that it’s a good job some people have invested in such firms. Without investment they cannot develop the drugs. 

Only a very tiny minority (it seems) don’t think we need a vaccine as soon as possible and I can’t see how any of the advice he is giving (lock downs, social distancing etc.) is influenced by his financial interest unless, you believe in conspiracy theories and think he is scaremongering in order to promote a vaccine. If so, he is by no means alone.

It would probably be better, in order to avoid any suspicion, if he didn’t have this shareholding but, provided he declares a pecuniary interest if he ever gets close to decisions regarding choosing suppliers then I don’t see a problem.

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Which other virus has killed 50K in a year in UK?

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Influenza in 2018

Never really paid much attention to flu tbh prior to this year so googled that;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5440785/Killer-flu-outbreak-blame-42-spike-deaths.html

Interesting to read that in 2018 60k+ people died from flu in the UK which was the 2nd time seasonal flu had killed more than 60k people since records began (they only began in 2006)

Also interesting to read that the outbreak was caused by 2 different strains - Japanese Flu and Aussie Flu.  I guess we weren't so precious back then about naming viruses from the parts of the world from which they originated...

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

On one hand this isn’t a great bit of news.

However, you could turn it on it’s head and suggest that it’s a good job some people have invested in such firms. Without investment they cannot develop the drugs. 

Only a very tiny minority (it seems) don’t think we need a vaccine as soon as possible and I can’t see how any of the advice he is giving (lock downs, social distancing etc.) is influenced by his financial interest unless, you believe in conspiracy theories and think he is scaremongering in order to promote a vaccine. If so, he is by no means alone.

It would probably be better, in order to avoid any suspicion, if he didn’t have this shareholding but, provided he declares a pecuniary interest if he ever gets close to decisions regarding choosing suppliers then I don’t see a problem.

He'll be forced to resign. The government's restrictions are also now completely unenforceable. Expect the UK equivalent of a class action lawsuit against the government. 

This is done. 

Archived