Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

It’s also possible that its the same infection and that 7 days isolation wasn’t long enough.

Seeing as visitors are being told to isolate for 14 days, that's probably the case.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RamNut said:

It was the fact that the hospital considers that to be possible evidence for a second infection that raised my eyebrows. That is, they think a second infection IS possible.

There have been reports of second infections, but the overall experience with the SARS and MERS coronaviruses indicates that you do as a rule have immunity for up to 12-18 months. That is about the same as for influenza, which is why you need a new flu jab every year.

The immune period depends on how often the virus mutates. That is the problem with AIDS, because it mutates all the time and the immune system can't keep up with it. Mercifully, AIDS is much more difficult to transmit and you can't catch it off a toilet seat or by coughing or shaking hands.

Apparently it does mutate but no more often than the flu virus, so there's hope for us yet. Again, it's only been around since the beginning of year, so we'll just have to be patient and wait and see.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The population density of the United Kingdom is 272 people per square Km, not 727. I think that somebody was typing too fast.

Yes, I later corrected myself.

I had used the figure per square mile rather than per square kilometer.

Still means we are 2 or 3 times more densely populated than the countries that I believe it is fair to compare our stats with.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, I later corrected myself.

I had used the figure per square mile rather than per square kilometer.

Still means we are 2 or 3 times more densely populated than the countries that I believe it is fair to compare our stats with.

Why is it fair to only compare with them? Denmark has a similar population density and I don't see them high up on the lists of deaths.. Only 500ish reported. 

I don't think we can claim that population density over a whole country is the most important indicator of deaths either. Even more sparsely populated countries on a wider scale have similar densities where people actually live and work. France for example is more sparsely populated than England but Paris and ile de France region is far more dense than London. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Coronavirus deaths over 40k in the UK now after care home death updates.

???  Where did that figure come from - not being reported on BBC who I would have thought would be all over that.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

5. I have already self- isolated for 7 days and been at work for a week, I have developed similar symptoms again, do I need to isolate again?

If you develop symptoms after the normal isolation periods, we would normally assume that this is a new infection and you will need to start the isolation process again unless you tested positive for COVID-19 previously. Please contact the Centralised Absence Reporting Line on 01752430000.

....in which case, there is no immunity.

https://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk/covid-19-advice-for-staff

Aren't they suggesting the opposite because of the bit in bold?

There's also this from the same page

7.I have recently tested positive for COVID-19, I am now back to work but have new symptoms, what should I do?

If you have recently tested positive for COVID-19, isolated for 7 days and recovered from symptoms, but now have new symptoms of cough and/or fever it is very unlikely that these symptoms are due to a new infection of COVID-19 coronavirus. If you feel too unwell to work please contact the Centralised Absence Reporting Line on 01752430000, however you will not be required to self-isolate as a possible coronavirus case.

I guess they can't be certain whilst the disease is in its infancy as there's still so much to learn about it, but they also say it's very unlikely it would be a new infection. I think the first point might be saying it you weren't tested the first time then it's likely it wasn't actually Covid-19?

7 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Why is it fair to only compare with them? Denmark has a similar population density and I don't see them high up on the lists of deaths.. Only 500ish reported. 

I don't think we can claim that population density over a whole country is the most important indicator of deaths either. Even more sparsely populated countries on a wider scale have similar densities where people actually live and work. France for example is more sparsely populated than England but Paris and ile de France region is far more dense than London. 

I didn't say only.

Just think with location, culture and population size we are comparing like with like.

Also think Germany is a fair comparison which shows us in a very bad light, if their figures being released are on a basis consistent with ours.

Personally, I dont see Denmark as being comparable to the uk, may just be my perception though.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

BREAKING NEWS...

80% Furlough to be extended until October.

Hope that keeps the laid off cinema workers amongst us a bit happier!  ?

I have heard that but hoping be back at work july 4th my fingers are crossed.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

Well some films what should come out to cinerma been showed on sky.

Quite few films coming out in july that could put bumps on seats but I just hope people behave themselfs.

No snogging on the back row and holes in the bottom of popcorn boxes etc. 

Archived