Coronavirus

1of4

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I dunno I hope they're right im just surprised at this (in)action. 

Trouble is that many organisations won't take action unless it's clear from government.

I seriously doubt people are going to stop going to work because they've been coughing the last couple of days.

Then it depends on the rest of us to react. Today a colleague who works in the same office as me with 2 others was sneezing and coughing all day...

If he turns up tomorrow I will take issue with his line manager, and if he doesnt do anything i will take issue with his, and if he does nothing i will go to HR.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I dunno I hope they're right im just surprised at this (in)action. 

Trouble is that many organisations won't take action unless it's clear from government.

I seriously doubt people are going to stop going to work because they've been coughing the last couple of days.

Plenty of employers will make life difficult for employees for calling in sick 'with just a bit of a cough'. I've worked for a few in my time that expect you at your desk unless you have been shot in the head. Until the government makes it as clear as day then arsewipe employers will still act like nothing is going on.

15 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Plenty of employers will make life difficult for employees for calling in sick 'with just a bit of a cough'. I've worked for a few in my time that expect you at your desk unless you have been shot in the head. Until the government makes it as clear as day then arsewipe employers will still act like nothing is going on.

True .. but isn’t that life ?  for every arsewipe employer there is an arsewipe employee ... feeling a bit rough, couldn’t talk to 111 so I’m self isolating for the good of humanity ... hummm 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

True .. but isn’t that life ?  for every arsewipe employer there is an arsewipe employee ... feeling a bit rough, couldn’t talk to 111 so I’m self isolating for the good of humanity ... hummm 

True enough, there will be folk taking the piss because they fancy a week off but in a situation like this putting pressure on people to present at work against government advice is madness, but it will definitely happen. 

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

True enough, there will be folk taking the piss because they fancy a week off but in a situation like this putting pressure on people to present at work against government advice is madness, but it will definitely happen. 

I think, bottom line it’s about trust .. I don’t know how you create that. There are some lousy employers and a lot of piss takers. 

I really struggle when these discourses play out. I loath that certain type of bullying employer and have come across them but they are equally matched by the chancers. Small print insurance companies Vs whip lash claimants ... it’s life I’m a afraid. Not them and us .. just sh^^^y people 

6 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

You ought to stick to posting about prolapsed rectums and your all-day boozing sessions then. Were there any professors in the pub with you?

We go to the pub, yeah. 

I can PM you his name if you wish. The fact he has a very unusual surname puts me off posting it here. 

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I imagine it will be the same for unis. I do wonder what the effect will be on our exams and subsequent results.

Depending on what uni you go to and even what course you do i imagine the response will be different. However, i know that the department i'm in at Leeds is already telling us to gear up towards online teaching should it be needed. It wouldn't surprise me if they're evaluating options right now. I would imagine if this does extend into may time then exams will simply be postponed. Whatever happens the university won't screw students over this. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

Depending on what uni you go to and even what course you do i imagine the response will be different. However, i know that the department i'm in at Leeds is already telling us to gear up towards online teaching should it be needed. It wouldn't surprise me if they're evaluating options right now. I would imagine if this does extend into may time then exams will simply be postponed. Whatever happens the university won't screw students over this. 

Durham have announced a move to online teaching and are considering scrapping closed-book exams. That would be the absolute dream, considering the amount of specific cases and regulations I have to memorise.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Durham have announced a move to online teaching and are considering scrapping closed-book exams. That would be the absolute dream, considering the amount of specific cases and regulations I have to memorise.

Yes, I saw that today. I think pretty much all uni's will end up doing this soon enough tbh.

I'd imagine if this continues to spread all midterm exams are done with and they'll postdate them towards the end of the academic year in june/july with an extended exam season to compensate for the increased number of exams. I can't imagine uni's saying modules at the beginning will count for double as it'd just cause too much uproar amongst students who did poorly but wanted another shot and especially 3rd years it would cause major headaches. 

11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

My brother is currently doing his A-levels and has been told if he can't sit his exams he will be awarded his predicted grades. 

He'll probably be off licking door handles so he doesn't have to do any revision. 

That's crazy. Will surely be a record-breaking year if they do that nationwide, as everyone gets their predicted grades bumped up slightly to help them get an initial offer from their university of choice.

The GSCE and A-Level predicament is probably a lot more difficult than it is for universities. First of all, those exams are absolutely necessary to go onto the next rung of the education latter, and secondly, any policy would have to be implemented nationwide because schools are run on national curriculums, whereas universities are private bodies that set their own tests and standards and can essentially do what they want.

Can someone explain the sense in proceeding with the football and sporting events in the UK without any major restrictions? It's the perfect place for covid-19 to spread. Countries in europe are locking down one by one these days with all sporting events being cancelled or at least being held behind closed doors. Here in Denmark all educational and public institutions have closed with bars, clubs, restaurants, gyms etc shutting down as well. 

I know the situation isn't as bad in the UK as in the likes of Spain, France and Italy.. But it appears to be only a matter of time before the number of confirmed cases reaches similar heights. It's escalating and accelerating more and more for each day and precautions are necessary to stop it from exploding. From the outside, it seems very naive not to restrict sporting events now, instead of waiting until it's completely out of hand. And yes, it's 'only a flu'. But its spreading like wild fires with no vaccine in sight and the true number of infected people is surely many times higher than what we know for now. 

Not trying to bash you guys. I'm honestly just confused.

5 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I get the logic, A "secret" symptom helps them easily bin off all the people who are flooding the phone lines but don't have CV

I just don't quite understand why that is a better approach than saying "unless you have the (no longer) secret symptom - then don't call us - it's not CV"

Doesn't the latter approach ease the burden on the health service more?

Bit don't you think that if they did release the secret symptom that they'd still be inundated with people claiming to have it just to be tested & diverting scarce resources from those who actually are ill and in danger?

8 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

How many pints did he get through?

Please don't PM me. It's bad enough having you on here.

Well it doesn't matter that he's a lightweight, even though we built him a bar room in his house. 

Because you'd only present an exaggerated view of what he can drink as fact with nothing to back it up with. 

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That's crazy. Will surely be a record-breaking year if they do that nationwide, as everyone gets their predicted grades bumped up slightly to help them get an initial offer from their university of choice.

The GSCE and A-Level predicament is probably a lot more difficult than it is for universities. First of all, those exams are absolutely necessary to go onto the next rung of the education latter, and secondly, any policy would have to be implemented nationwide because schools are run on national curriculums, whereas universities are private bodies that set their own tests and standards and can essentially do what they want.

GCSE and A levels don’t matter anyway anymore. They are given out like sweets! 

3 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Bit don't you think that if they did release the secret symptom that they'd still be inundated with people claiming to have it just to be tested & diverting scarce resources from those who actually are ill and in danger?

Secret symptom...!??! Have you ever heard anything so ludicrous..? 

13 hours ago, Squid said:

restricting gatherings with over 500 people yet keeping schools (with an average of 900+ pupils) open.

Lol

I presume you didn’t listen to the conference?  Apparently kids are much less prone to be seriously affected by the virus.  Shutting schools leaves these kids at home and more than likely being looked after by the grandparents, you know, the vulnerable group.  Seems sensible to me.

13 hours ago, Squid said:

restricting gatherings with over 500 people yet keeping schools (with an average of 900+ pupils) open.

Lol

Not sure what to make of all this

is it really serious and they worry it will mutate into something much worse

nobody really knows

its not that serious but it gives them the opportunity to test options for when the serious one arrives.

??La Liga: Suspended
??Serie A: Suspended
??Primeira Liga: Suspended
??Eredivisie: Suspended
??Bundesliga: Behind closed doors
??Ligue 1: Behind closed doors
???????Premier League: Let's all pile in together and sneeze on each others kids.

Archived