Coronavirus

1of4

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

They’re not brits mate, he said no more brits onboard any cruise ships.
did you hear something different?

I heard that trials started at Heathrow and Gatwick today where before passengers present their passports they first are being made to wash their hands and soak their shoes in disinfectant. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Please explain to me whilst I love the 3 Wedding Present songs I know, with Kennedy maybe in my top 100 tunes, but I never listened to any more. Where should I start. The George Best album?

A good place to start is Loughborough University Oct 30th 1985. Pretend you were there by reliving the set list on Page 170 clicking on to it and clicking the links of songs to videos in You Tube etc and then working your way forward through 170 pages of gigs. https://www.setlist.fm/search?page=170&query=The+Wedding+Present

Then matching up accordingly with the albums that starts off with George Best in 1987 as per https://scopitones.co.uk/portfolio-item/discography/twp-albums and takes you through to Marc Riley Sessions:Volume 4 2020. Enjoy.

image.jpeg

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

When did the Corona virus thread turn into the politics thread? 

We'll never be immune if it can mutate this quickly.

It'll be nice to get away from all this and get back to watching live sport again.

Not from the posh seats though. From the bleachers, naturally.

1 minute ago, Van Gritters said:

Virus topic of the day. 
How are we going to leave the lockdown?

Gradual and dependent on the rate of new infections, hospital occupancy etc that's why, in my opinion, it's difficult for the government to publish a detailed plan. One thing which seems pretty certain, large events such as sport (not behind closed doors) and music will be amongst the last things to return. 

I reckon, broadening the types of shops that can reopen (with strict regulations) will be amongst the first things to come back. 

4 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Very interesting. 

Except there will be another tranche of possibly hundreds more deaths that relate to yesterday that get included in the numbers in about a weeks time that haven't been recorded yet so that would also give a false impression.

I agree there should be a graph produced to show the number of deaths by date they occured but until you know you've reported every death from that date it will be inaccurate.

8 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Except there will be another tranche of possibly hundreds more deaths that relate to yesterday that get included in the numbers in about a weeks time that haven't been recorded yet so that would also give a false impression.

I agree there should be a graph produced to show the number of deaths by date they occured but until you know you've reported every death from that date it will be inaccurate.

Actually no. If the base figure of deaths in hospitals is 105, then yet to be reported deaths for that day, will not be in the hundreds. Just like how when the figures for deaths in hospitals were reaching 1000, we didn't then get 1000's of yet to be reported deaths show up in any of the statistics. Based on the charts, it would be generous to say that another 105 people died outside of hospitals the previous day and won't show up in the official statistics for another 2 weeks or so. 

Can we listen to our experts please ?

Only 105 people died in hospitals, the previous day.  This is very encouraging. 

edit: So these additional deaths occurred approximately 2 weeks ago. 600 deaths didn't get reported 2 weeks ago. Reported deaths 2 weeks ago..around 1000. So delayed death reports are lower than those that are initially reported. 

26 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Actually no. If the base figure of deaths in hospitals is 105, then yet to be reported deaths for that day, will not be in the hundreds. Just like how when the figures for deaths in hospitals were reaching 1000, we didn't then get 1000's of yet to be reported deaths show up in any of the statistics. Based on the charts, it would be generous to say that another 105 people died outside of hospitals the previous day and won't show up in the official statistics for another 2 weeks or so. 

Can we listen to our experts please ?

Only 105 people died in hospitals, the previous day.  This is very encouraging. 

Sorry mate but I think you're wrong on this

Put simply... someone dies of Coronavirus yesterday at midday - that death probably won't be coded in the system as a Coronavirus death until maybe 9am the next day. Sometimes later if there are a high number of deaths to record.

That report will then only be extracted by someone at the Hospital Trust by midday, to be sent to NHS England, they'll then have to process the hundreds of different submissions from around the country by 4pm to inform the Government. Some Hospitals will miss this cut off point so that increases the number missed further.

Trust me when I say there will be a high number of deaths not reported for days, even weeks after they occurred. Hence the 600 odd that are for previous days included within those figures you gave.

29 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Very interesting. 

Yes, there’s something similar on the BBC suggesting we may have peaked somewhere around the 10th April (excluding the crisis in nursing homes of course). I almost think, publishing daily figures (and then trying to compare them with other countries that may be counting different things) is adding very little value to the general public. 

I guess the only real benefit is that publishing these high numbers rather than the actual deaths the previous day, which might well be considerably lower, is helping to reinforce the need to maintain the lock down longer. If the general public knew the actual figures they might get complacent. 

Here is the data @Uptherams refers to. I think the Government showed this table on a couple of briefings earlier in the week but I haven't seen it in the last few days.  

As you say, @JoetheRam there will be deaths added each day, but this does seem to indicate a general downward trend, albeit very slow. There's a new graph every day that you can check out on this link: 

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Of course, these are only hospital deaths. And even one is one too many.

image.thumb.png.c78e6314248696c3502de14f156873cd.png

1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

Sorry mate but I think you're wrong on this

Put simply... someone dies of Coronavirus yesterday at midday - that death probably won't be coded in the system as a Coronavirus death until maybe 9am the next day. Sometimes later if there are a high number of deaths to record.

That report will then only be extracted by someone at the Hospital Trust by midday, to be sent to NHS England, they'll then have to process the hundreds of different submissions from around the country by 4pm to inform the Government.

Trust me when I say there will be a high number of deaths not reported for days, even weeks after they occurred. 

Sorry but you are wrong. If you follow the link, the professor has even tweeted to say, that yes in fact, the 105 figure from the previous day will increase as non hospital deaths are collected, collated and added. You are speculating that there will be hundreds more deaths the previous day. You have shown nothing to indicate this. It's a number picked out of the air. 

The data exists to have a reasonable estimation. You cross reference hospital deaths 2 weeks ago with the 600 or so added to the figure for the previous day. The figure of 600 isn't many multiples higher than the hospital deaths 2 weeks ago. It is lower.

Therefor it is generous to say that around 100 people died additionally in the previous days figures and won't be included for 2 weeks. 

Archived