Coronavirus

1of4

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Another day, another question asking for an apology from a Government minister. Please just duck off and ask questions that actually help out the general public rather than making it look like you have got one over the Government!

What was me asking to apologise for?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Another day, another question asking for an apology from a Government minister. Please just duck off and ask questions that actually help out the general public rather than making it look like you have got one over the Government!

Hopefully once parliament returns the opposition can ask those sorts of questions, and the journalist's can broaden out into more interesting areas that simply aren't being asked at the moment.

A possible plus point, if they can somehow organise the virtual sitting of Parliament and make it work well, that will be a pretty penny saved when MPs have to leave the Palace of Westminster for renovations.

We're going to need every penny moving forward, that would £1bn saved at current estimates.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It was the minister who went back to his house in Hertfordshire and delivered supplies to his parents.

Herefordshire, not Herts.

Then onto Shropshire.

Yet he's the Newark MP!

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

You northern heathen bumpkin.....you always go DOWN if you're going away from London. 

Its UP to London! ?

It's up to London from South of London, and down to London if you're north of Watford, surely.

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You northern heathen bumpkin.....you always go DOWN if you're going away from London. 

Its UP to London! ?

Eh.. I go northish  to Derby, I’ve rechecked the compass in case of Russian interference.. You would come up to London..

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Never......always up to London. 

(Comes from the old railways I think with up line and down line where they always started from London regardless of direction).

In the old railway days, every guard and station master had a company Rolex to help keep things ticking. 

The railways were also seen as a benefit for society, and worthy of subsidy.

Things change.

14 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's up to London from South of London, and down to London if you're north of Watford, surely.

No,  its always up to London, no matter where you are travelling from.

Think this terminology came about when country wide train travel became prevalent.

Trains travelling towards London ran on the up line and trains travelling away from London did so on the opposite line, the down line.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

No,  its always down to London, no matter where you are travelling from.

Think this terminology came about when country wide train travel became prevalent.

Trains travelling towards London ran on the down line and trains travelling away from London did so on the opposite line, the up line.

Other way round.....from wikipedia 

"On most of the network, "up" is the direction towards London."

However, that article does also call out that the Midland railway was an exception to this rule and used "up" to refer to towards Derby. 

Well I never knew that........

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Trains travelling towards London ran on the up line and trains travelling away from London did so on the opposite line, the down line.

Northern powerhouse now though isn't it.

We're being levelled up, not by moving from northern city to city mind, that would be too obvious.

We're being empowered by getting down to London fractionally quicker, then going up the West End to spend our new found wealth.

When the virus is done, I expect a new 3 beat slogan to entice us down, or up.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Northern powerhouse now though isn't it.

We're being levelled up, not by moving from northern city to city mind, that would be too obvious.

We're being empowered by getting down to London fractionally quicker, then going up the West End to spend our new found wealth.

When the virus is done, I expect a new 3 beat slogan to entice us down, or up.

"Come up now".....

?

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Unfortunately the numbers don't relate to the previous 24 hours, and never did. It's very hard to track numbers that aren't clear. It would make sense to track the infection rate, but until we get the tested number up, it's also hard to track. 

Bit of a mess, in my opinion. 

Yep ,the numbers being put out as headlines mean total zilch to the public ,even beyond the fact that deaths can be from now, two days ,two weeks previous, deaths are being recorded to Covid without any test and just presumption , deaths in care homes may have been Covid but not recorded as such and that’s just in this country,,,   Deaths in other countries are being recorded in different ways with different criteria for attributing to Covid yet we have some kind of league table scenario going on to judge successes and take lessons from lower death rates ,

it’s not just a bit of a mess , it’s a ducking mess

18 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Other way round.....from wikipedia 

"On most of the network, "up" is the direction towards London."

However, that article does also call out that the Midland railway was an exception to this rule and used "up" to refer to towards Derby. 

Well I never knew that........

Yes you're correct. edited my mistake when I realised I'd put the direction of travel the wrong way round

49 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

No trains here, yet we go south to Keflavík, even if that's geographically impossible for anyone, as the town sits on the northern shore of a peninsula.  Residents there in turn go south to Reykjavík, as does everyone else living in the countryside. 

We blame Keogh

Archived