Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Martin had a decent game today imo. 

Personally I think we should try to keep him. Its hard to be too critical of him at the minute when is our only option, had little support from out wide and teams know his style so can stifle us as we cant get in behind them. He gives us an option we dont currently have and will likely cost alot to replace when we can just keep him.

Martin is ideal to play in games at home when teams sit in deep so we can get the ball into his feet for his clever lay offs and players running off him. Away from home and against the better teams we need a more mobile forward & front 3 so we can press from the front. But with no Lawrence, Waghorn or Marriott recently we havent been able to do that against WBA & Brentford 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Chris Martin, I really do. But today left me wishing we had Ollie Watkins up front. Quick, strong and led the line. That’s the sort of player we need as our number 9 next season, with Chrissy to start against certain teams or come on as sub.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

There tends to (often) be a reason that he's not on it, usually the rest of the forward line/midfield also aren't. Was somewhat better today but thought Lawrence was a bit too quiet and Sibley a bit selfish.

Thought he started poorly yesterday but grew into it having some clever touches and was certainly as good as the rest of our forward line  and to be fair I think Rooney has been quite poor for a good few games giving the ball away cheaply, as I say it’s more the outward appearance and the falling over stuff that frustrates fans when he is not at it, probably unfair but I can find myself thinking ffs Martin get some fight in you

Had a good first half yesterday when we managed to get the ball into him and play around him but wasn’t in it second half but then a few weren’t. Against the better teams his lack of pace shows and unfortunately in our team at the moment he is asked to do too much running which isn’t his strong suit. The better teams also press well from the front but he doesn’t have that in his locker. 

He’s been a great player for Derby but if we want to be serious contenders then he can’t be the main man anymore. If we can keep him on the right terms he’s a good option to have, but he’ll want to play every week. It would be really sad to see him go but it could be the right time. Our heroes have to leave at some point. I was gutted when Eranio Baiano Sturridge Simmo Gabbiadini left but it was the right time with each of them.

41 minutes ago, Archied said:

... probably unfair but I can find myself thinking ffs Martin get some fight in you

He is a bit more subtle than Lawrence, although he did barge over one of their players on the touch line yesterday. Think it winds up the opposition as much as some Derby fans when he wardrobes - thought the ref was rubbish yesterday, managed to get in the way of our midfield passing too often! There has been some spectacularly poor displays of officiating since restart all through the Championship.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He is a bit more subtle than Lawrence, although he did barge over one of their players on the touch line yesterday. Think it winds up the opposition as much as some Derby fans when he wardrobes - thought the ref was rubbish yesterday, managed to get in the way of our midfield passing too often! There has been some spectacularly poor displays of officiating since restart all through the Championship.

I noticed that with the ref too. More than once he got in the way. Sign of a bad ref in my opinion. As a side note I'm not sure why CMs performance is coming under scrutiny when yesterday all our problems quite evidently stemmed from the other end of the pitch. 

One of the reasons that I like Chris Martin so much is that he is always trying to change the course of the game and has the ability to do that.

I don't agree that Chris Martin expects to start every game any longer and when Cocu has had choices this season he has rarely played a full 90 minutes but Chris has appeared to be content with that and his stats for the season overall have backed that up. 

He's obviously training hard and the fact he is now so willing to run around trying to close down when far from his strength is testament to his commitment to Derby County. I actually enjoy his winding up of opposition players as we have far too many players who really don't let the opposition know they are there. He's learnt to channel this aspect of his game very effectively and has a good disciplinary record as a result.

In a way, I am disappointed that he has had to lead the line single-handedly recently due to the impetuous behaviour of our two other experienced forwards, because it has very much highlighted his shortcomings over his strengths. 

Ironically, one of those forwards returned yesterday and had a very quiet game in attack (although good defensively) yet is not getting the same scrutiny that Martin is. 

I don't think our current system with two defensive midfielders rather than two attacking ones will ever suit Martin's game precisely but he is still working hard to make a significant contribution.

If I thought we had the money to buy a replacement centre forward that has Martin's brain, touch but adding in height and speed then I would be all in favour of wishing him a gracious goodbye. 

Given that we haven't got the sort of money that such a player would cost (even if we could find one prepared to play at our level) then I would still be working extremely hard to get that new contract sorted for Chrissy. 

And if he does go, I will be sad and think Derby County will be a duller place. 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

One of the reasons that I like Chris Martin so much is that he is always trying to change the course of the game and has the ability to do that.

And if he does go, I will be sad and think Derby County will be a duller place. 

Well said @angieram. All that and the fact that - as you say - he's got a footballing brain, which too many footballers lack! The ability that made Tony (donkey) Adams such a good defender!

10 hours ago, Kinder said:

I love Chris Martin, I really do. But today left me wishing we had Ollie Watkins up front. Quick, strong and led the line. That’s the sort of player we need as our number 9 next season, with Chrissy to start against certain teams or come on as sub.

Better tell Waghorn that. Don't you think any Brentford striker benefits from the service the others provide? We risk signing another Blackman otherwise!

Watkins Brentford league stats:

2017–18 Championship 45 10 

2018–19 Championship 41 10

2019–20 Championship 37 22

On 08/07/2020 at 21:05, IslandExile said:

The problem isn't Martin, the problem is that we don't have any runners going past him to pick up the flicks.

We need to move the ball quicker up to Martin then have runners.

Thank goodness. In short:

1. Football is about possessing the ball, and keeping possession by passing it. 

2. Through possession, take the ball to the opposition goal and score. 

It really is that simple folks. When football was invented nobody consulted coaching manuals or formations or thought about Pythagoras or Fermat. So to say “hey we don’t play in a way that suits Martin anymore” is absolute baloney. Keep possession, play with speed, move into space and pass and receive the ball. That’s all there is to it. For minutes on the park Martin is the best forward in the Championship. If Chris Martin isn’t in the game, it means your team isn’t performing, not that Chris Martin is somehow obselete because we don’t pass or move anymore!!! 

?

1 hour ago, angieram said:

If I thought we had the money to buy a replacement centre forward that has Martin's brain, touch but adding in height and speed then I would be all in favour of wishing him a gracious goodbye. 

Given that we haven't got the sort of money that such a player would cost (even if we could find one prepared to play at our level) then I would still be working extremely hard to get that new contract sorted for Chrissy. 

How much did Martin cost???

9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

In short:

1. Football is about possessing the ball, and keeping possession by passing it. 

2. Through possession, take the ball to the opposition goal and score. 

...If Chris Martin isn’t in the game, it means your team isn’t performing, not that Chris Martin is somehow obsolete because we don’t pass or move anymore!!! 

Oooh RADICAL! ?

Just now, Ellafella said:

No. It’s fact. See a post above by @DarkFruitsRam7I think. 

No, its very subjective, using a stat that only takes certain things into account.

I seem to remember that Darren Bent could score goals but playing with him in the team was like playing with 10 men.

Not that I'm comparing Martin to Bent.

I'd have a wager that despite being the best striker in the division, Martin will not be in The Championship team of the season.

Archived