Madley Admits His Mistake

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That’s quite a stretch. 

We finished 8 points and 3 goals behind Burnley. A draw (Hendricks non-goal) and that’s reduced to 4 points and 1 goal. A win (momentum from the goal) and its reduced to 2 points and better GD). We lost the next game 1-0 and drew the following two 0-0. I don’t think it’s too unreasonable to say the Martin red had a big impact on us not reaching top 2.

41 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Lol? The point is his apology is little consolation to his piss poor decisions at the time costing us a shot at autos, making a random straw man point doesn't detract from that. 

I was making the point that IF Martin hadn't have been sent off then no one would have known whether we would have  subsequently made the autos or not, thats conjecture 

What we do know is we haven't made the autos or indeed get promoted since then without the aid of any crap refereeing decisions from Madley. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

I was making the point that IF Martin hadn't have been sent off then no one would have known whether we would have  subsequently made the autos or not, thats conjecture 

What we do know is we haven't made the autos or indeed get promoted since then without the aid of any crap refereeing decisions from Madley. 

But nobody has ever accused Madley of being the reason behind those failings, which is why it's a straw man. 

And Madley robbed us of the chance of knowing. Our odds would have been significantly improved if Madley had made the right calls in that game. That's not conjecture. 

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But nobody has ever accused Madley of being the reason behind those failings, which is why it's a straw man. 

And Madley robbed us of the chance of knowing. Our odds would have been significantly improved if Madley had made the right calls in that game. That's not conjecture. 

I have skimmed read your post then so apologies. I assumed the import of your post was that you are blaming Madley for our failure to make the auto spots that season due to his incorrect decision to send Martin off for diving against Burnley. 

32 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I have skimmed read your post then so apologies. I assumed the import of your post was that you are blaming Madley for our failure to make the auto spots that season due to his incorrect decision to send Martin off for diving against Burnley. 

It is arguably one of the reasons. My point back to you is, after 13/14, nobody has blamed Madley for anything. Which is why it's a weird point to make.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

It is arguably one of the reasons. My point back to you is, after 13/14, nobody has blamed Madley for anything. Which is why it's a weird point to make.

The whole premise of my response was around the assumption that you blame Madley for our inability to reach the autos that season. 

If you don't blame Madley then that means my comment is not relevant 

If you do blame Madley then my original point still stands that noone has anyway of going back in a time machine to alter the passage of history to ascertain if Martin hadn't have been incorrectly sent off then would we then have made the autos or not. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The whole premise of my response was around the assumption that you blame Madley for our inability to reach the autos that season. 

If you don't blame Madley then that means my comment is not relevant 

If you do blame Madley then my original point still stands that noone has anyway of going back in a time machine to alter the passage of history to ascertain if Martin hadn't have been incorrectly sent off then would we then have made the autos or not. 

There is enough to suggest we might have done, it certainly would have been closer. No certainty, but our season ended the game against Burnley until the playoffs after Madley's dodgy call.

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

How about we VAR every single kick of every game? 

Stupid decisions are part of what makes the game exciting 

Absolutely right.

There are 22 players on the pitch all cheating to some level so it is unsurprising that refs get things wrong. Martin was a terrible diver at the time so he could hardly complain when a ref gets a decision wrong. 

The sense of injustice in the crowd drove the atmosphere against Charlton when Bielik got sent off last week. The ref got hammered for it even though it was a clear red card. 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair play for admitting it was a duck up. This further evidences imo that VAR would probably be improved by allowing refs to look at the screen themselves more often. Madley obviously knew he made a mistake as soon as he saw a replay for the first time. If we allow refs to look at the screen and make their own mind up on whether they’ve made a mistake or not, then I think we’ll get better decisions. Most refs aren’t arrogant enough to refuse to admit they were wrong.

More often, How about for the 1st time, VAR is the biggest farce in football since Bobby Madley and Stuart Attwell were allowed to become Referees.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

There is enough to suggest we might have done, it certainly would have been closer. No certainty, but our season ended the game against Burnley until the playoffs after Madley's dodgy call.

I agree that the result against Burnley had a significant effect on us not reaching the playoffs. 

I just think that we've have more than enough opportunity to atone for Madleys error since then and not taken those chances which is down to the club and not Madley

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

I agree that the result against Burnley had a significant effect on us not reaching the playoffs. 

I just think that we've have more than enough opportunity to atone for Madleys error since then and not taken those chances which is down to the club and not Madley

Madley's decision only stopped us getting autos, didn't stop us winning the playoffs and didn't stop anything after that, but nor have I ever heard anyone claim the contrary.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Sorry I don’t believe referees at the top level in this country go into games with agendas. Everyone is human and makes errors - that day Madley did.

Move on people - far more important things in life.

I bet you believe in the Tooth Fairy.

Just now, Andicis said:

Madley's decision only stopped us getting autos, didn't stop us winning the playoffs and didn't stop anything after that, but nor have I ever heard anyone claim the contrary.

It really didn’t stop us from getting automatic promotion. Regardless of what is going on in your imagination. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yeah, but it's an illogical made up argument from you. All that's relevant is that match and the consequence for that season only!

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It really didn’t stop us from getting automatic promotion. Regardless of what is going on in your imagination. 

It did. It had a profound effect on our form in the next games, we didn't have Martin for the next home game which we lost, and it put us in a position where Burnley were no longer able to be caught. We had maybe a 10-20% chance of getting autos before the game, and a 0% after it. 

Archived