Madley Admits His Mistake

DarkFruitsRam7

7 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

More often, How about for the 1st time, VAR is the biggest farce in football since Bobby Madley and Stuart Attwell were allowed to become Referees.

It is ridiculous to be fair. It could be such a positive for the game if it was used correctly.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Andicis said:

It did. It had a profound effect on our form in the next games, we didn't have Martin for the next home game which we lost, and it put us in a position where Burnley were no longer able to be caught. We had maybe a 10-20% chance of getting autos before the game, and a 0% after it. 

Yes, you said all that. But you have no idea whether (eg) Burnley would have won that game anyway, what inspiration they may have got from a Hendrick goal, how they might have been lifted to see out the season in brilliant style etc etc etc etc. 

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Yes, you said all that. But you have no idea whether (eg) Burnley would have won that game anyway, what inspiration they may have got from a Hendrick goal, how they might have been lifted to see out the season in brilliant style etc etc etc etc. 

And you have no idea also. We would have stood a much better chance with 11 vs 11 and level on score, in fact we'd have been in the ascendancy. As far as arguing a hypothetical, I would say nothing I have said is too bold.  

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And you have no idea also. We would have stood a much better chance with 11 vs 11 and level on score, in fact we'd have been in the ascendancy. As far as arguing a hypothetical, I would say nothing I have said is too bold.  

No, I don’t, which is part of my point. Nobody knows. Your unequivocal blaming  of our failure on one refereeing decision at one moment in one game is a nonsense. 

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

No, I don’t, which is part of my point. Nobody knows. Your unequivocal blaming  of our failure on one refereeing decision at one moment in one game is a nonsense. 

No, what's nonsensical is you vastly sensationalising what I actually said. I never said we WOULD have got autos, more that we could have, should the decisions have gone the right way. 

25 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It is ridiculous to be fair. It could be such a positive for the game if it was used correctly.

I would love to know "what correctly used" entails, Graeme Souness only 3 weeks ago was saying on Sky football on Sunday "you can not be a little bit pregnant" if your toe, Nose, Armpit is shown to be offside then you're offside, Since then there has been numerous extremely close offside calls going against the scorer, He has know changed his tune by saying "VAR needs a rule change"

Football is now being refereed by an official at Stockley Park, He has the ability to overturn the Referees decision, But it is only his opinion, He may have all the techknowledgy at hand but quite clearly the techknowledgy is not what it should be, Stockley Park can give a penalty when viewed several times, He can also reverse a penalty decision altho I've yet to see this, The spontaneity has been lost, We all used to talk about how bad Referees decisions are, Now it's VAR.

VAR is a get out of jail free card for Refs, TV replays work in Tennis, Cricket, Rugby Union/League the NFL, Until the Referee is given carte blanche to use the touchline monitor, Stockley Park will be the detrement to our game....imo

37 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

And I quote: ’Madley's decision only stopped us getting autos’

Because taking quotes out of context is a perfect way to make a valid argument. Christ. Post the whole quote, or maybe acknowledge the context of the message I was replying to, instead of just skewing an argument with ********. 

It used to be universally accepted that the referees decision was final. As such it was respected no matter what. Once pundits started criticising with the aid of slow motion tv VAR was inevitable. 

Having said that diving was derided as something only cheats did and never happened. 

Personally I have the utmost respect for referees. A very difficult job usually done pretty well. 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Because taking quotes out of context is a perfect way to make a valid argument. Christ. Post the whole quote, or maybe acknowledge the context of the message I was replying to, instead of just skewing an argument with ********. 

Oh dear. Not out of context. See also:

me: it really didn’t stop us getting automatic promotion

you: it did

what’s the missing context?

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I was making the point that IF Martin hadn't have been sent off then no one would have known whether we would have  subsequently made the autos or not, thats conjecture 

What we do know is we haven't made the autos or indeed get promoted since then without the aid of any crap refereeing decisions from Madley. 

Which completely overlooks the point @Andicis was making which is that the subsequent seasons are of zero relevance to the one in question. Literally, none at all. 

12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Oh dear. Not out of context. See also:

me: it really didn’t stop us getting automatic promotion

you: it did

what’s the missing context?

How is it not out of context? You didn't even quote all of it, and didn't include what it was in relevance to. That's the very definition of taking something out of context. The person I was responding to said something to the effect of we've had more than enough opportunities to atone for it since, which I don't disagree with, but my point was you can't possibly blame Madley for failings more than the inability to reach autos, since as I said, the slim chance we had was snuffed out by the refereeing call. But you know, continue to partial quote things I say if it thinks it makes your points better.

8 hours ago, cannable said:

He first yellow was for persistent fouling when even The Football League show agreed that none were fouls and one was even a foul on Martin. 

He went into that game with a clear agenda. 

After he was sent off, I don't know if they still do it, but at Burnley they had a seating area for the players that puts them amongst the fans. Chris Martin was in the form of his life at the time as well.

Anyway, he comes and takes his seat amongst the fans, there were people criticising him and saying he'd let the team down and now we have it, proof he did no wrong.

We were the better team as well, even with 10 men until their killer 2nd. Massive shame, so close to promotion.

Archived