The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

1 hour ago, jimmyp said:

You call them whatever you like.

i wouldn’t use the word "racist" especially when used as an "accusation" or "smear word" because:

It breeds bitterness and polarization, not a spirit of pragmatic reasonableness in confronting our difficult problems.

Anyone who wants freedom to use, or hear, the 'N' or 'W' words when referring to black people is a racist. Anyone who mourns not being able to use or hear the terms is a racist.

I will not dilute the word 'racist' for you or anybody else.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Strange, because the N word that has been taken out breeds bitterness and polarisation. Certainly wouldn't breed a spirit of pragmatic reasonableness in any conversation now. I'm not in the slightest surprised it's been removed.

Even in the 30 odd years since transmission, times have moved on so much I can't imagine any case when that word becomes acceptable. Not coming out of the mouth of a white person.

Things get even more complicated when animals are involved. I watched The Dambusters yet again on TV last Xmas, and they broadcast the uncensored version with a "contains strong language" warning.

Should have just called him Bonzo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger_(dog)

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Anyone who wants freedom to use, or hear, the 'N' or 'W' words when referring to black people is a racist. Anyone who mourns not being able to use or hear the terms is a racist.

I am now into Series 5 of The Wire, after binge watching for two weeks. Enjoying it immensely. What a dirty filthy racist I must be.

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

On that point it’s more than possible that a number of the brave men and women that lost their lives were racist and homophobic in outlook because of the prevailing culture of that era.

Should we be removing their names from memorials up and down the country?

Please be clear that my view is that we should all reconsider our attitudes and actively listen to those who feel disadvantaged. That’s the only way we can take this forward.

I am just very concerned that too much focus is being placed on the past. We can’t change that. 

Let’s get some meaningful discussion going so that we establish a level playing field for all.

Quality post

4 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Which has nothing to do with Fawlty Towers, so god knows why that's your comeback

The Colston Statue had been a bone of contention for quite a number of years, there were groups actively campaigning for it's removal.

That's the difference I'm talking about. No one was campaigning for Fawlty Towers to be taken off some channel that no one watches

The angry mob threat to Fawlty Towers is one imagined entirely in your head.

We're being played. The "where will it end??" hand-wringing by the high cholestrol brigade is exactly as manufactured

Explain being played and by whom

45 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You watch Southpark don’t you Eddie.

Does watching Southpark make you a racist also?

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Strange, because the N word that has been taken out breeds bitterness and polarisation. Certainly wouldn't breed a spirit of pragmatic reasonableness in any conversation now. I'm not in the slightest surprised it's been removed.

Even in the 30 odd years since transmission, times have moved on so much I can't imagine any case when that word becomes acceptable. Not coming out of the mouth of a white person.

Dambusters.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I am now into Series 5 of The Wire, after binge watching for two weeks. Enjoying it immensely. What a dirty filthy racist I must be.

All right, white people using either term in a derisory, derogatory or disparaging manner.

1 hour ago, jimmyp said:

You watch Southpark don’t you Eddie.

Does watching Southpark make you a racist also?

Doesn't the 'N' word get bleeped? If it does, it doesn't detract from the entertainment and the sheer delight at the fat racist bigot getting his come-uppance every week.

I wonder how many brains are going to explode (or already have done) regarding the news that all players in the Premier League will have 'Black Lives Matter' on their shirts instead of their names when the season recommences next week?

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Doesn't the 'N' word get bleeped? If it does, it doesn't detract from the entertainment and the sheer delight at the fat racist bigot getting his come-uppance every week.

No, I definitely heard Naggers.

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nope the N words were never originally bleeped out.  

Just watched a 5 min clip on a well known uk tv service and that wasn’t bleeped out either. 

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wonder how many brains are going to explode (or already have done) regarding the news that all players in the Premier League will have 'Black Lives Matter' on their shirts instead of their names when the season recommences next week?

I wonder if their are any brains at FIFA.

FIFA has explicit rules on political statements in those matches and competitions falling under FIFA’s direct and indirect5 jurisdiction focus in particular on the display of messages on clothing. The FIFA Laws of the Game6 list, at Law 4, the basic compulsory equipment to be used by each player (comprising playing jersey, shorts, stockings, shinguards and footwear), which in turn is furthered by a decision of the International FA Board clarifying Law 4, which states that:

“the basic compulsory equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images… The team of a player whose basic equipment has political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.”

The same also applies to undergarments worn by players, and it is reasonably clear therefore that, as a player, wearing a political statement on your shirt or removing ones shirt or other item of clothing to reveal a statement underneath is going to land you in trouble with FIFA.

34 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Your Dominic Cummings and I claim my 5 pounds

Archived