The Politics Thread 2020

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I hope I dont misquoted here and if anyone else that saw it wants to correct me that is fine.

He said something along the lines of a high percentage of NHS workers that are dying are BAME and people from these communities are worried, so could the Government send them a message to confirm that they are on their side.

I did wonder why he asked that.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I did wonder why he asked that.

Might as well just have asked if the Government are racist or not.

Wouldnt surprise me if tomorrow they are asking the Goverment to apologise to BAME communities.

53 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I hope I dont misquoted here and if anyone else that saw it wants to correct me that is fine.

He said something along the lines of a high percentage of NHS workers that are dying are BAME and people from these communities are worried, so could the Government send them a message to confirm that they are on their side.

I'm happy to take that at face value and agree with you that the journalist appears to be a fool. 

The first part is probably data, but should be validated, because the interesting point to understand I think would be the extent to which the proportions of deaths mirror the proportions of staff in general. 

But to segue into some sort of weird non-point is bizarre.

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm happy to take that at face value and agree with you that the journalist appears to be a fool. 

The first part is probably data, but should be validated, because the interesting point to understand I think would be the extent to which the proportions of deaths mirror the proportions of staff in general. 

But to segue into some sort of weird non-point is bizarre.

I will look back at it later to make sure I have not made an issue out of nothing, was watching on my phone and it didn't have my undivided attention but I'm pretty sure that is what he asked.

The medical officer went on to say that 3 groups that are disproportionately affected are (1) the elderly (2) people with underlying conditions and; (3) men

Said more research is required into whether BAME are or not.

I did raise the subject the other day and noted that in the Normanton area of Derby there seems to be very little social distancing going on, and I have seen this mentioned by a few different sources now.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I will look back at it later to make sure I have not made an issue out of nothing, was watching on my phone and it didn't have my undivided attention but I'm pretty sure that is what he asked.

The medical officer went on to say that 3 groups that are disproportionately affected are (1) the elderly (2) people with underlying conditions and; (3) men

Said more research is required into whether BAME are or not.

I did raise the subject the other day and noted that in the Normanton area of Derby there seems to be very little social distancing going on, and I have seen this mentioned by a few different sources now.

On a more positive note I just saw a super interview with a Syrian refugee who has settled in London for 4 years and volunteered to clean and disinfect his local hospital. 

On channel 4 news.

"Our nationality doesn't define our kindness ". Great quote.

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

On a more positive note I just saw a super interview with a Syrian refugee who has settled in London for 4 years and volunteered to clean and disinfect his local hospital. 

On channel 4 news.

"Our nationality doesn't define our kindness ". Great quote.

Nice to hear the media reporting something positive 

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wouldnt surprise me if tomorrow they are asking the Goverment to apologise to BAME communities.

It is so irritating .. journos looking for someone to be offended or almost inviting people to be offended for the sake of a headline.

I see as tacky and more than anything else, lazy. Daily mail,  mirror, hello, practical activist and pressure group monthly. Take your pick ( I made the last one up ..  but it would sell loads ) 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Pretty sure I heard “are you on their side” too.

49 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pretty sure I heard “are you on their side” too.

I wasnt sure I had heard right, just struck me as something really bizarre to say.

13 hours ago, Uptherams said:

The US is handling it as well as any other nation. In a time like this, you have to also understand that our Prime Minister has far more powers than the President does. More than a third of the US cases are in New York. The Gouverners are the ones making the decisions that cost or save lives. 

Are you saying that the most powerful man on earth doesn't have power to control his own country? 

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Would be a waste of a question, we know the answer to that.  Watermelon smiles, letterboxes, employing advisors who believe black people have lower IQ than white people.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would be a waste of a question, we know the answer to that.  Watermelon smiles, letterboxes, employing advisors who believe black people have lower IQ than white people.

That's not fair. When you read the full text of the letterbox quote, it's actually a very empowering message against racism, akin to Martin Luther King. 

19 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

That's not fair. When you read the full text of the letterbox quote, it's actually a very empowering message against racism, akin to Martin Luther King. 

I wouldn't go that far......

More a rambling piece that just veers between power of the state vs power of the individual with a couple of attempted smart arse jokes thrown in.

Luther king it ain't. But it isn't an islamophobic attack either.

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

In the same article from 2002 Boris also says:
"After four and a half years of Labour government, British railways are now worse than those of Portugal, Greece and Romania. Slovak drivers actually turn up for work; Bulgarian leaves do not block the track; and the 8.02 from Zagreb to Split is infinitely more to be trusted than anything running from Waterloo to Basingstoke.
"He might as well go on to say that we have one of the worst health services in Europe. To pluck a statistic at random: if you are a British woman with leukaemia, you have 21 per cent less chance of living another five years than a German woman with leukaemia. No one is suggesting that the problems of the NHS began in 1997; it is just that Labour does not seem to have any intention of solving them.
"One of the reasons the Germans are healthier than us is that they are able to spend more on health, because roughly half their hospitals are independently funded. Is that a solution Blair is prepared to discuss? Or is Labour prepared to learn from France? There they stop the wasting of GPs' time by imposing a 25 per cent upfront charge - which is refundable later - on everyone who calls to see the doctor."

Boris speaks a lot of sense... Although, I'm certain he wishes he chose his words more carefully.

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

So that makes everyone in The Conservatives racist then?

What a shame then that The Conservatives and Labour are both racist parties.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nah, don't be silly. The whole Labour Party would be borderline Neo-nazis if you applied the same logic. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8215341/amp/Report-anti-Semitism-Labour-party-says-members-borderline-neo-Nazis.html

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Of course everyone in the Conservative party is not racist. Rabb and Patel, for example, just think Britain is full of idle people.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I wouldn't go that far......

More a rambling piece that just veers between power of the state vs power of the individual with a couple of attempted smart arse jokes thrown in.

Luther king it ain't. But it isn't an islamophobic attack either.

Smart arse does not equal using language that mocks women of a different religion, which will be then be used to mock them on the street by people who also think political correctness has gone mad. You can't even point and laugh at people who look different any more. World's gone mad.

Archived