The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jono said:

The great thing about this forum is that we all get to debate and put forward a point of view. I just can’t agree with many on this political thread. Not because of any one particular point - and there are good ones, that standing alone, could shift my opinion a few degrees - it is the the stitching together of several points to arrive at a conclusion that just doesn’t  add up when history and the examples it has given are taken in to account. Add in the diabolical maths along with logic that isn’t quite right, that owes more to ideology than it should and I am left shrugging my shoulders. so I guess, we will, as the cliche goes .. have to agree to disagree ??

Just flounce off, boi. 

That's what all the intelligent people do. Why waste time debating with the likes of us. 

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Just flounce off, boi. 

That's what all the intelligent people do. Why waste time debating with the likes of us. 

I'm still here. Obviously a klutz. 

Anyhow,  more importantly,  how are you doing with the greater restrictions. Have there been any helpful relaxations to help ease a very difficult situation?

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

Just flounce off, boi. 

I’m not flouncing .. well a little bit 

naaa just we are all a bit in our bunkers. It’s fun lobbing stuff at each other for a while but I need to dip in and out other wise it gets a bit same old same old.. then depending on mood you might have a falling out with people you quite like, which isn’t good at all. 

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm still here. Obviously a klutz. 

Anyhow,  more importantly,  how are you doing with the greater restrictions. Have there been any helpful relaxations to help ease a very difficult situation?

It's not great. Yesterday we had the air ambulance plus multiple other close calls. 

However, I won the raffle today as my name was called out for permanent nights. 3 lucky members of staff. 7 on 7 off. Which means far less stress on average, but if something goes wrong, then it will be more than likely something very serious. 

10 minutes ago, Norman said:

It's not great. Yesterday we had the air ambulance plus multiple other close calls. 

However, I won the raffle today as my name was called out for permanent nights. 3 lucky members of staff. 7 on 7 off. Which means far less stress on average, but if something goes wrong, then it will be more than likely something very serious. 

I thought of you last night at 8 when I was banging my saucepan.  And yes this is a euphemism.

13 minutes ago, Norman said:

@Norman whilst I often disagree with your opinions, I like to hear them. I can't imagine how tough your job is, but thanks for doing it. I think most of us on here are actually on the same side (as well as all been Rams obviously). None of us really like the posh. Nor do we have much time for the blaggers and the cheats. We are all pretty much the same and should work together for common good. United we stand xxx

1 hour ago, Norman said:

I wish you well and hope very much that the system can find a way to reduce the dangers for everyone in these extremely difficult times.

An ex-neighbour was in the prison service at Winchester,  which I believe is a top security prison. Some of the characters he described were very sinister sounding...like a permanent atmosphere of brooding menace. As well as all the troubled souls, addicts and the like.

I guess you won't get the same public love as the NHS but you're work is as valuable and as challenging in different ways.

Good luck pal.

10 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Good! If you understand it that is even worse!

Back in the day everyone used to look at Yank TV with envy, all those channels, all that choice.. It’s crap, you are correct our TV is much better.

While I am having a dig at the USA it still amazes me how far they are behind us on so many things. The use of cheques for example, is huge out there, I can’t remember the last time I wrote a cheque.. Contactless payments anywhere are rare. The 3rd world eh.

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

@Norman whilst I often disagree with your opinions, I like to hear them. I can't imagine how tough your job is, but thanks for doing it. I think most of us on here are actually on the same side (as well as all been Rams obviously). None of us really like the posh. Nor do we have much time for the blaggers and the cheats. We are all pretty much the same and should work together for common good. United we stand xxx

I’m posh and so is @Van der MoodHoover We live in the south..  Nuff said.

No social stereotyping on this thread..

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I’m posh and so is @Van der MoodHoover We live in the south..  Nuff said.

No social stereotyping on this thread..

Me too so must be posh as well.

I do like some of the stereotypes of 'the south' though, especially London.

I don't really understand how anyone can live in London and have a 'normal' job like teacher, shopworker, nurse, police etc, especially if they have kids too. They must have terrible standard of living. So much better lifestyle to live somewhere else with those sort of jobs.

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I don't really understand how anyone can live in London and have a 'normal' job like teacher, shopworker, nurse, police etc, especially if they have kids too. They must have terrible standard of living. So much better lifestyle to live somewhere else with those sort of jobs.

Crazy but doable though.. 

21 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

My sister works as an accountant for Ernst and Young and lived in Wimbledon until she realised she could move jobs to their offices in Manchester with the same salary and get double her spending power than in London.

She lives in Hale now and also doesn't have to spend an hour a day on the Northern Line with her head stuck in someone's armpit. 

31 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

My sister works as an accountant for Ernst and Young and lived in Wimbledon until she realised she could move jobs to their offices in Manchester with the same salary and get double her spending power than in London.

She lives in Hale now and also doesn't have to spend an hour a day on the Northern Line with her head stuck in someone's armpit. 

Wonder if all this remote working may make businesses think more about moving very expensive offices out of London. People may prefer a longer commute 1 or 2 days a weak then 3-4 days wfh. Less pressure on roads and rail and less pollution. We could even axe HS2.

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Doable yeah but at a cost. Probably living in cramped flat or small house in a heavily polluted area and a longish time to get to work/anywhere decent.

Sacrifices, still the greatest city in the world to live in.. It’s not for everyone for sure but some love to be near everything..

I live on the outskirts now, I can go in when I want but still come away. 

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Doable yeah but at a cost. Probably living in cramped flat or small house in a heavily polluted area and a longish time to get to work/anywhere decent.

South London, SE London, East London are cheaper generally. A lot of jobs do pay more or simply don't exist elsewhere, and the average age in my experience seems to be a lot younger. 

Some support is available for key workers in housing.

People put up with long commutes as well and there are plenty of jobs not in central London.

If you can progress quickly in your career (and crucially are in a couple!) you can definitely get a flat or house. 

What i won't understand is people living out in hugely expensive areas far out of the city in Surrey, Hants, Bucks and commuting in spending thousands on rail season tickets. 

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Wonder if all this remote working may make businesses think more about moving very expensive offices out of London. People may prefer a longer commute 1 or 2 days a weak then 3-4 days wfh. Less pressure on roads and rail and less pollution. We could even axe HS2.

This whole thing will change what we perceive as normality.. Remote working could become the norm, the final nail in the high street as we all now have to buy remotely.. Who knows. My business is dependent on events, fashion shows etc and they could now become a thing of the past.. If the big fashion houses can’t show in September, they will find a way and still show on line. To be fair only a handful of people get to go anyway and they spend millions staging these. They could do it remotely from a venue in Milan and it will work just as well to be fair. I am sure other businesses are adapting, the human being is a fragile but resilient thing, we will find a way.

3 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

South London, SE London, East London are cheaper generally. A lot of jobs do pay more or simply don't exist elsewhere, and the average age in my experience seems to be a lot younger. 

Some support is available for key workers in housing.

People put up with long commutes as well and there are plenty of jobs not in central London.

If you can progress quickly in your career (and crucially are in a couple!) you can definitely get a flat or house. 

What i won't understand is people living out in hugely expensive areas far out of the city in Surrey, Hants, Bucks and commuting in spending thousands on rail season tickets. 

Middlesex and proud.  Still not sure if it exists or not.

26 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would say the opposite. Would make more sense to keep people in london, all who work 2/3 days per week in the city.

My old firm moved offices to a smaller unit but reduced the number of desks, invested in IT infrastructure and encouraged home working a day or two per week. 

Archived