Players not paid on time

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dcfc_20 said:

I don’t think investment is coming unless someone else comes in because the HG thing is dead and was meant to be completed by the 31st and wasn’t.

That’s the point. 
 It looks like it’s all down to Mel funding the club and that’s why I feel for the guy. 

On a bright note Knight ,Lowe ,Bird and Whitaker and of course Bogle are doing well and so Mel is right to persevere because like he says it’s 24 Million wasted otherwise 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Maybe not but Mels interview with RD suggested we will be relying on the academy as they have spent 24 Million on it. 

Mel didn't say we'll have to rely on the academy. What he basically said was, after spending £24m on the academy he expects some return on that investment. To do that, some academy players have to be used - without playing, those players are worth nothing. Give them a few games to find out if they're good enough... if they are, then we've got a first team player or we earn a nice profit on the player; or if they're not good enough, we'll get a small fee for them anyway. On average, we need to be developing £500k players - the academy costs £6m to run every year, producing 11+ players each season.

12 hours ago, Emson said:

Sorry, but I cannot believe that any employed person in the world would react to them not being paid by their employer by saying that its "something and nothing". 

I have been a finance director of businesses for over 30 years and I can tell you that there is only one reason why you would not pay your staff on time.  And an  admin rooster up is not that reason. Its because you have run out of money. To say that its a last resort to do this doesn't even get close to the background that will have preceded this situation. Think tip of the iceberg parallels. 

This news, if true, is incredibly worrying. 

Bury, Macclesfield and Notts County are one thing. For this to happen at Derby County is absolutely shocking beyond words.

Just to be clear.....there is not only one reason you would not pay your staff on time......and in 30 years as an FD I’d have thought you’d have realised this.

Admin errors, process failures, system failures, change of banking arrangements or major financial transactions (eg merger/acquisition) are some of the many reasons that these kinds of errors happen.

Is it acceptable? No - not at all.  

Could cash flow be a problem? Potentially. 

Let’s try and be balanced and calm in our views - until we know anymore detail. ?  

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

That’s the point. 
 It looks like it’s all down to Mel funding the club and that’s why I feel for the guy. 

On a bright note Knight ,Lowe ,Bird and Whitaker and of course Bogle are doing well and so Mel is right to persevere because like he says it’s 24 Million wasted otherwise 

I don’t feel sorry for him at all. He’s a businessman (as well as a fan I know) so we should be run cleanly and well. We have wasted money on so many schemes and failing players and it’s finally starting to bite. It’s us fans who are let down after turning up week in week out in great numbers. This is worrying times and I think people are just casting it off as a “Daily fail” article to keep peace of mind. I think now would be a beneficial time to change ownership.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Mel didn't say we'll have to rely on the academy. What he basically said was, after spending £24m on the academy he expects some return on that investment. To do that, some academy players have to be used - without playing, those players are worth nothing. Give them a few games to find out if they're good enough... if they are, then we've got a first team player or we earn a nice profit on the player; or if they're not good enough, we'll get a small fee for them anyway. On average, we need to be developing £500k players - the academy costs £6m to run every year, producing 11+ players each season.

I think interpretation is incorrect.

24 million on this crop of players is a lot of money .

It has to work. 

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

If this story is true, just think of the non playing staff who will be affected. 

If someone on £15,000 a week can't cope how do you think someone on £15,000 a year will manage?

David already confirmed a page or so back that non playing staff were paid.

11 minutes ago, Dcfc_20 said:

I don’t think investment is coming unless someone else comes in because the HG thing is dead and was meant to be completed by the 31st and wasn’t.

It won't be announced. Just because it was meant to be completed doesn't mean it has to be announced. Why would we want to tell all the clubs that we have more money to spend and get ripped off?

Just now, ThePrisoner said:

David already confirmed a page or so back that non playing staff were paid.

Surely that is worse. Because it shows no admin errors or some bank holiday problem. It just shows we don’t have the funds to pay the players who account for millions a month. 

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Maybe not but Mels interview with RD suggested we will be relying on the academy as they have spent 24 Million on it. 

That's not exactly what he said though is it.  Mel said that it would be a waste of 24 million if we didn't play the youngsters.  This was directed at Rammage who has been unwavering in his belief that our inability to turn academy players into first team regulars over the past two decades translates into the fact that we'll all have to wait three years for perhaps one decent player to emerge from our current crop.

Utilising the academy is not the same as relying on it.

Just now, Dcfc_20 said:

Surely that is worse. Because it shows no admin errors or some bank holiday problem. It just shows we don’t have the funds to pay the players who account for millions a month. 

Or players are entirely different than PAYE staff elsewhere within the business. Stop reaching for the absolute worst case scenario.

4 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

That's not exactly what he said though is it.  Mel said that it would be a waste of 24 million if we didn't play the youngsters.  This was directed at Rammage who has been unwavering in his belief that our inability to turn academy players into first team regulars over the past two decades translates into the fact that we'll all have to wait three years for perhaps one decent player to emerge from our current crop.

Utilising the academy is not the same as relying on it.

Well we will see. 

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I think interpretation is incorrect.

24 million on this crop of players is a lot of money .

It has to work. 

If we were to sell Lowe, Bogle, Knight and Sibley, we'd get more than the £24m invested and still have a large number of academy players ready to step up over the next few years - for the first 3, their value is as high as it is because they were given first team opportunities.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we were to sell Lowe, Bogle, Knight and Sibley, we'd get more than the £24m invested and still have a large number of academy players ready to step up over the next few years - for the first 3, their value is as high as it is because they were given first team opportunities.

It’s what Mel said not me. 

Sith Happens
13 minutes ago, Dcfc_20 said:

I don’t feel sorry for him at all. He’s a businessman (as well as a fan I know) so we should be run cleanly and well. We have wasted money on so many schemes and failing players and it’s finally starting to bite. It’s us fans who are let down after turning up week in week out in great numbers. This is worrying times and I think people are just casting it off as a “Daily fail” article to keep peace of mind. I think now would be a beneficial time to change ownership.

Got a list of potential new owners?

Archived