Players not paid on time

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are people taking this article meaning we have no money? They are literally being paid on the next 'working day'. Should have been paid Tuesday but get paid Thursday, im sure they managed! 

Reads to me like we hoped the takeover was done by year end (like all the news about it had stated) and gave it as long as possible, it didnt get finalised in time so Mel will pay the next day. The whole bank holiday thing just makes it look worse than it is, if it was end of Jan to 1st of Feb it wouldnt make a difference it just looks bad due to that extra day in between.

I wouldnt be suprised if the staff were made aware of this in advance either. Probably got told the club is waiting for confirmation of the takeover so they may have to wait an extra day to get their wages.

A bit of a nonsense article making it all sound worse than it actually is.

Edit - Just re-read the article and it even states the players were made aware to expect a short delay.

3 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

How are people taking this article meaning we have no money? They are literally being paid on the next 'working day'. Should have been paid Tuesday but get paid Thursday, im sure they managed! 

Reads to me like we hoped the takeover was done by year end (like all the news about it had stated) and gave it as long as possible, it didnt get finalised in time so Mel will pay the next day. The whole bank holiday thing just makes it look worse than it is, if it was end of Jan to 1st of Feb it wouldnt make a difference it just looks bad due to that extra day in between.

I wouldnt be suprised if the staff were made aware of this in advance either. Probably got told the club is waiting for confirmation of the takeover so they may have to wait an extra day to get their wages.

Edit - Just re-read the article and it even states the players were made aware to expect a short delay.

Are you meant to read the whole article?

I thought it was only the headlines that was the real news.

Delaying or non-payment of wages is not a trivial matter. An administrative mess up is the most charitable explanation, if the delay has actually happened.

The possible imminent injection of funds into the club should have no impact such basic processes of the business.

Perhaps Morris will be as keen to share his thoughts on Radio Derby as he was last Monday on other matters.

Jesus, how many times do we want to be plastered all over the national media for all the wrong reasons recently! 

You would think after our current league position and the damage caused to reputation from the drink drive incident that the club would be doing all it could to avoid more negative articles! 

but here we are, in the national media again, this time for financial issues, the same ones we ridiculed Fawaz’s leadership for. 

Morris needs to get a grip of this club and fast, 2019 hasn’t been a good year for him or the club in any circumstance, you don’t want to be starting 202 in the same way, especially not 2 days into it!

7 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Is a spokesperson for the club not them getting a comment from someone at the club? I assumed they would have used something like 'a source within the club,' if it wasn't a direct response?

It is whatever the press want you to believe it is but I suspect it will be whoever's fed them the story in the first place. 

From my very brief time of doing an apprenticeship in accountancy, the company where I was placed had just gone through a takeover/merger, prior to me joining, and the folk in the office were telling me that no one at the company had been paid for 6 weeks whilst it was happening, as it was common practice to freeze accounts whilst everything was being transferred into the new account. 

To me this sounds like something similar. I could be wrong, as the only people that actually know are the owner, the directors and the accountants. The headline is misleading, sensationalised BS, that certainly doesn't help or put the club in good light. The article makes it sound like people were told this would happen and Mel himself is sorting it, could he be paying it from a different account whilst the club accounts are frozen during the investment? Which means having to set up each employees details from said account to be paid today?

I think we need to be hearing from the club before totally chastising what has happened, even though on the surface it doesn't look good. 

So the players were informed that they would be paid a day later than usual and Thursday not Wednesday this month and we’re now being compared to Fawaz’s tenure at Forest?

HMRC don’t issue winding up orders over a delayed payment of ONE day which they were informed about, have a word.

It’s literally a none story, that you lot are trying to turn into some big drama.

Plastered across the news? No we haven’t, the Daily Mail have ran one online article blowing something up leaked probably by a disgruntled player which all clubs have. 

Nice to see so many not losing it instantly when one of the gutter press prints something. Never learn.

5 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

It isn’t a takeover though. So why would it effect anything? 

I work in finance too and it’s definitely possible it’s an admin balls up, especially over Xmas/new year when not many staff are in.

Could also be linked to the sale. If Mel puts money into the club on a monthly basis to cover wages he might have delayed doing this prior to the sale completion as it could potentially impact the value of the sale to the new investors if it includes them paying a % of debt for example, which would potentially mean redrawing all the contracts up etc.

Whatever the explanation it is a bit embarrassing though.

Archived