Investment Close

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A winding up petition has been filed against Duet Group 

No...the winding up petition was against Duet Asset Management Limited, one of the investment vehicles within the Duet Group.

I checked the financial regulators website and that entity was listed as having had its uk permissions removed on 20th January. 

This is nothing that unusual. Basically each pot of investment money is incorporated as a separate legal entity. Which could be "close-ended" in that it's set up for a single investment purpose and a closed group of investors. Once the investment has fulfilled its purpose and the original investors have had their proceeds there is no need for the company so you wind it up.

Henry Gabay looks as though hes at the sharp and highly speculative end of investment.  His various vehicles do all sorts such as commodity futures (betting on the price of eg oil in 6 months). Looks as though here that he may have pushed some boundaries with interpretation of tax rules. But if his investment vehicle has paid out the investors all that can happen is a forced wind up which has no effect on the rest of Duet Group.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

A winding up petition has been filed against Duet Group 

No one (outside of those directly involved) knows how the investment was to be structured - there were suggestions that Gabay was the frontman for a consortium rather than he or his company being the main investor, in which case the issues Duet Group are having may have no impact on any investment plans - or maybe Gabay has stepped aside because of the issues but the investment will go ahead with someone else fronting it.

I suspect (though I may be completely wrong) that by linking the Duet problems directly to the investment, the DET has overstepped the mark and they've been told to pull the article before it has to get legal.....

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No...the winding up petition was against Duet Asset Management Limited, one of the investment vehicles within the Duet Group.

I checked the financial regulators website and that entity was listed as having had its uk permissions removed on 20th January. 

This is nothing that unusual. Basically each pot of investment money is incorporated as a separate legal entity. Which could be "close-ended" in that it's set up for a single investment purpose and a closed group of investors. Once the investment has fulfilled its purpose and the original investors have had their proceeds there is no need for the company so you wind it up.

Henry Gabay looks as though hes at the sharp and highly speculative end of investment.  His various vehicles do all sorts such as commodity futures (betting on the price of eg oil in 6 months). Looks as though here that he may have pushed some boundaries with interpretation of tax rules. But if his investment vehicle has paid out the investors all that can happen is a forced wind up which has no effect on the rest of Duet Group.

Thanks for clarification. 

I only looked at the article briefly before it was took down, hence me giving incorrect information!

Just goes to show how Chinese whispers can work though!

@Raich Van Carter apologies for the incorrect information and @Van der MoodHoover thanks for correcting it.

18 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Did I not read in the article the petition was filed by HMRC, or was that speculation on here?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Did I not read in the article the petition was filed by HMRC, or was that speculation on here?

No you're right on that. But no details as to what tax the argument is over. As its against an investment company could be any number of things (but not payroll cos theres no employees).

Henry looks a right shark. Surprised by Mel going anywhere near this lot. If anything, I'd say they look more likely to invest in the stadium project, build it up then look to flogging for a profit. 

But that wouldn't help dcfc.....

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No you're right on that. But no details as to what tax the argument is over. As its against an investment company could be any number of things (but not payroll cos theres no employees).

Henry looks a right shark. Surprised by Mel going anywhere near this lot. If anything, I'd say they look more likely to invest in the stadium project, build it up then look to flogging for a profit. 

But that wouldn't help dcfc.....

I said I’d be very wary when this was first announced. Didn’t seem to be a good fit for us.

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

Kinda makes sense of the non payment of the players wages in jan, he was supposed to cover that I think.

I feel sorry for Mel, he’s trying to do the right thing for the club and this season has been nothing but a train wreck from the final whistle at Wembley.

The wages had nothing to do with it at all.

53 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

Because the investment had not happened yet.the only reason you have that opinion is because you have read it in the paper.i dont blame you for it.

I’m basing it on the idea that the deal should of been completed the day before.

Its just a hunch,  every day we were being told it was virtually done.

Maybe the ideas wrong, but Mel paid the wages at the earliest opportunity when the wages hadn’t been paid.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I’m basing it on the idea that the deal should of been completed the day before.

Its just a hunch,  every day we were being told it was virtually done.

Maybe the ideas wrong, but Mel paid the wages at the earliest opportunity when the wages hadn’t been paid.

I get your chain of thought i do.even if the deal had gone through the investor would not be paying all the wages as it is not for a majority share from what iv been told.

18 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

I get your chain of thought i do.even if the deal had gone through the investor would not be paying all the wages as it is not for a majority share from what iv been told.

Irrespective of share, assuming there were to be more shares issued then the investment would have meant an injection of capital into the business which would have covered wages.

24 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

There’s more to pay than just the players wages, we don’t know the details, nobody does.

2 hours ago, Ramslaar said:

Agree but as far as i understand there were no other bodys waiting to be paid

Correct, so Mel could have been paying the staff, and the new investor paying the players.

The staff got paid on time as far as I know?

Archived