Investment Close

LB_DCFC

From the small part of the article you can read without subscribing:

Henry Gabay has informed Offthepitch.com his bid to acquire Derby County is being re-evaluated after the club was charged by the English Football League (EFL) for excess losses.

“After today we have to re-evaluate everything. We are really interested but today this is a significant issue,” said Gabay, who heads up finance firm Duet Group.

Although he declined to say whether the deal would be held up or even terminated, he added: “Those risks are not quantifiable today.”

https://offthepitch.com/a/Derby-county-acquirer-re-evaluating-deal-following-efl-charge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tarantism said:

From the small part of the article you can read without subscribing:

Henry Gabay has informed Offthepitch.com his bid to acquire Derby County is being re-evaluated after the club was charged by the English Football League (EFL) for excess losses.

“After today we have to re-evaluate everything. We are really interested but today this is a significant issue,” said Gabay, who heads up finance firm Duet Group.

Although he declined to say whether the deal would be held up or even terminated, he added: “Those risks are not quantifiable today.”

https://offthepitch.com/a/Derby-county-acquirer-re-evaluating-deal-following-efl-charge

My concern is, why has Gabay chosen to speak to a random journalist with regards to this, you would think Mel and Gabay have been in contact and out of respect Gabay keeps his mouth shut.

If he has gone and spoken about the deal potentially being off without knowing the facts, we dont want him or his money!

46 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

My concern is, why has Gabay chosen to speak to a random journalist with regards to this, you would think Mel and Gabay have been in contact and out of respect Gabay keeps his mouth shut.

If he has gone and spoken about the deal potentially being off without knowing the facts, we dont want him or his money!

Without seeing the full article it's hard to judge, the bullet points do say he "Reaffirms admiration for Mel Morris’ development of club." though.

Also the journalist isn't really just 'a random journo' he seems to have a solid and respectable background, with a history of interviewing / having links to  decision makers in big businesses and other other football chairmen, see the link:

https://muckrack.com/lawrie-holmes

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I fear this Investment Close is about to turn into a cul-de-sac ☹️

Yes I also think that's the likely outcome. Maybe it's an opportune excuse for the investor to pull out, considering they've dragged their heels. 

7 hours ago, europia said:

Yes I also think that's the likely outcome. Maybe it's an opportune excuse for the investor to pull out, considering they've dragged their heels. 

I suspect the whole reason they have "dragged their heels" is that everyone in the know knew this was coming, and it was just a matter of when, not if.

Let's face it, we do have an inside man at the EFL.

Mel is clearly a very clever man.

Wouldnt it be great if Gabay has come out and publicly said he may now not invest multi millions into our club because of the EFL charges. The charges then turn out to be unlawful and Mel claims damages from the EFL armed with the ammunition that these unlawful charges have resulted in a failed takeover.

Gabay meanwhile, bides his time and invests into the Rams at a later date, Mel with a huge smile on his face pours himself a glass of Moet and laughs a Boycie laugh! 

The end.

50 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Mel is clearly a very clever man.

Wouldnt it be great if Gabay has come out and publicly said he may now not invest multi millions into our club because of the EFL charges. The charges then turn out to be unlawful and Mel claims damages from the EFL armed with the ammunition that these unlawful charges have resulted in a failed takeover.

Gabay meanwhile, bides his time and invests into the Rams at a later date, Mel with a huge smile on his face pours himself a glass of Moet and laughs a Boycie laugh! 

The end.

While amusing I have said this before, we can't seem to make much from our players so turned a profit on our managers, and can only see our current and next one being profitable too. Has anyone tapped the EFL as an income stream before?

Also, they must have known it was coming for months, the EFL does nothing fast and Mel has been a bit prickly in interviews for ages. I think the whole investment 'suspension' is just Mel raising the stakes. 

Middlesbamfords are suing for 100mil due to not getting promoted because we took their playoff spot, we can now match that with lost investment. 

59 minutes ago, R@M said:

While amusing I have said this before, we can't seem to make much from our players so turned a profit on our managers, and can only see our current and next one being profitable too. Has anyone tapped the EFL as an income stream before?

Also, they must have known it was coming for months, the EFL does nothing fast and Mel has been a bit prickly in interviews for ages. I think the whole investment 'suspension' is just Mel raising the stakes. 

Middlesbamfords are suing for 100mil due to not getting promoted because we took their playoff spot, we can now match that with lost investment. 

What the EFL probably haven't thought of is by charging us and admitting they made a 'mistake', it means M'bamfords can actually now legitimately claim against the EFL and have a damn good case.

I have a feeling at the end of all this the chairman that haven't been happy with the EFL will actually get their wish for change as their position will be untenable after all this.

7 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What the EFL probably haven't thought of is by charging us and admitting they made a 'mistake', it means M'bamfords can actually now legitimately claim against the EFL and have a damn good case.

I have a feeling at the end of all this the chairman that haven't been happy with the EFL will actually get their wish for change as their position will be untenable after all this.

I think the EFL could well lose the Boro suit as raising the charges admits their mistake in effect and lose the suit that will inevitably come Derby if sanctioned because the sanction is also a direct result of their mistake.

1 hour ago, R@M said:

Four out of top 5 record transfer sales have been under Mel Morris's tenure...

The only one that wasn't is Seth Johnson.

Archived