Investment Close

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Re-Evaluation" doesn't mean he's scarpering.

It means they have to look at this situation and confirm that in a worst case scenario a) the promises made from the club's perspective can still be upheld and b) the value of the deal isn't drastically altered.

If the value of the deal is drastically altered, in their mind, they'll probably wait for a while until its more clear internally which way the coin will fall, and then get back on it.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

"Re-Evaluation" doesn't mean he's scarpering.

It means they have to look at this situation and confirm that in a worst case scenario a) the promises made from the club's perspective can still be upheld and b) the value of the deal isn't drastically altered.

If the value of the deal is drastically altered, in their mind, they'll probably wait for a while until its more clear internally which way the coin will fall, and then get back on it.

And fairly obviously, Mel might not think the revised price is worth it.

Well, they’ve had their chance. More than 48 days has well and truly passed. If I were Mel I’d tell the Duet company to stop singing because the fat lady has gone. 
I would start looking for another investor - someone could guzzump Gaby with a far more lucrative offer, after we’ve driven the elf out of town. 

12 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Well, they’ve had their chance. More than 48 days has well and truly passed. If I were Mel I’d tell the Duet company to stop singing because the fat lady has gone. 
I would start looking for another investor - someone could guzzump Gaby with a far more lucrative offer, after we’ve driven the elf out of town. 

Of course there is a great long list of billionaires waiting to sink there fortune into a championship football club. I don't know why Mel hasn't thought about looking elsewhere already. (Sarcasm alert in case anyone thinks I'm being serious). 

I’m convinced this would have gone through by now if it wasn’t for the FFP poo. You can’t blame them for wanting to see how that pans out before sinking money into a sinking ship potentially. I doubt there’ll be many out there willing to invest in us as things stand, so we’ll just have to wait it out until the hearing.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course there is a great long list of billionaires waiting to sink there fortune into a championship football club. I don't know why Mel hasn't thought about looking elsewhere already. (Sarcasm alert in case anyone thinks I'm being serious). 

Rich investors have ploughed money into clubs whose status may be described as “tinpot” before, and will do again. They exist and are ready. Leicester and Bournemouth are two. Wolves another. 

13 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Rich investors have ploughed money into clubs whose status may be described as “tinpot” before, and will do again. They exist and are ready. Leicester and Bournemouth are two. Wolves another. 

Couldn’t agree more. Championship clubs are a lot cheaper to buy. 

8 minutes ago, Josh said:

Couldn’t agree more. Championship clubs are a lot cheaper to buy. 

But League one ones are even cheaper - and the problem is probably (not in the know, but have bought companies before) the FFP and points deduction thing might mean the investor is considering the effect of points deduction/fine/relegation on the deal and will either pull out or adjust the offer accordingly.  Then it is up to Mel to renegotiate or accept the revised offer.

1 hour ago, Dethorn said:

But League one ones are even cheaper - and the problem is probably (not in the know, but have bought companies before) the FFP and points deduction thing might mean the investor is considering the effect of points deduction/fine/relegation on the deal and will either pull out or adjust the offer accordingly.  Then it is up to Mel to renegotiate or accept the revised offer.

Yeah I get what you’re saying. Yeah League One clubs would be, but not many of them with potential really. 

Only got Sunderland in that league and maybe Ipswich. 

15 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m convinced this would have gone through by now if it wasn’t for the FFP poo. You can’t blame them for wanting to see how that pans out before sinking money into a sinking ship potentially. I doubt there’ll be many out there willing to invest in us as things stand, so we’ll just have to wait it out until the hearing.

They will be waiting to offer far less in all probability - harsh but probably happening 

we are far from a sinking ship 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

They will be waiting to offer far less in all probability - harsh but probably happening 

we are far from a sinking ship 

Quite possibly yes. If they’re still interested then I imagine it’ll be at a lower price if we are punished for FFP.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that, not until we’re cleared of the FFP stuff.

Ok, so we're not going to get the influx of cash this window and Gabay is playing it cute. Fair do's, that's up to him. In terms of our OPEX and specifically wages (and therefore FFP), by end of season we'll be in a new cycle with a far rosier picture financially. Few leaving the club, few contracts expiring, slowly but surely we are extricating ourselves from the mire.

Add to that the rapid emergence of some of our youth players, with others like SIbley almost certain to have put down a marker by end of season, I'd be shelving the investment now anyway and seeing how the land lies end of season. The door swings both ways and if we put in a strong finish to this season and avoid FFP sanctions as I expect us to, perhaps it'll be Mel wanting to revisit the numbers this summer and not Mr Gabay. 

Whatever the outcome, folk should bear in mind that hedge funds exist only to make their clients money. They have zero interest in the club's other than cutting costs and increasing profits, thereby increasing the value of their stake. We're unlikely to reach the promised land this season so I'd be keeping my powder dry now if I were Mel, not chucking the baby out with the bath water.

16 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ok, so we're not going to get the influx of cash this window and Gabay is playing it cute. Fair do's, that's up to him. In terms of our OPEX and specifically wages (and therefore FFP), by end of season we'll be in a new cycle with a far rosier picture financially. Few leaving the club, few contracts expiring, slowly but surely we are extricating ourselves from the mire.

Add to that the rapid emergence of some of our youth players, with others like SIbley almost certain to have put down a marker by end of season, I'd be shelving the investment now anyway and seeing how the land lies end of season. The door swings both ways and if we put in a strong finish to this season and avoid FFP sanctions as I expect us to, perhaps it'll be Mel wanting to revisit the numbers this summer and not Mr Gabay. 

Whatever the outcome, folk should bear in mind that hedge funds exist only to make their clients money. They have zero interest in the club's other than cutting costs and increasing profits, thereby increasing the value of their stake. We're unlikely to reach the promised land this season so I'd be keeping my powder dry now if I were Mel, not chucking the baby out with the bath water.

As much as I was hoping for investment, big signings and excitement, I totally agree with this.  The EFL charge as made me think hard about a few things.

If Gabay is changing the terms of his deal to save a few quid then he is merely a vulture trying to pick the scraps from Mel as a result of recent news, hardly someone I would want associated with our club and hopefully Mel realises that too.

34 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

He speaks the truth

truth GIF

20 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Just because they have lots of money doesnt mean they would be good for the club. Mel already turned down a couple of offers for Derby. I dont think the list of billionaires who would actually run the club well is as large as you think.

On 22/01/2020 at 17:47, Elgin_Ram said:

It's Bounty

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

image.png.97e784816117ac0fea49ffc454030495.png

Archived