Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is understood there are serious concerns within the club over Lawrence's state of mind, after the death of his mother, Deborah, last year.

Cocu said: "It's been a hard and difficult time, we cannot underestimate what he is going through. We have to keep a close eye on him. He's still a young guy and it's a lot to deal with.

"We will focus and be strict with each player. We want all the facts to be clear, we will talk to the whole team. It has affected everyone."

This matters.

Just now, Sexydadbod said:

Losing a parent is hard and I feel sorry for Lawrence for losing his mother but it’s absolutely no excuse for doing what he did. His mother wouldn’t have wanted him to do something as stupid as this, or potentially risk killing someone else’s parent. 

It doesn't read to me like they're using it as an excuse, it reads like they realise that whilst they're obviously going to be very angry about what's happened, they also understand they have a duty of care to the players and it would be remiss of them to ignore that.

If they suspend Lawrence indefinitely, they can't keep a close eye on him, if they don't suspend Lawrence but do Bennett, people will try and twist it.

2 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

It doesn't read to me like they're using it as an excuse, it reads like they realise that whilst they're obviously going to be very angry about what's happened, they also understand they have a duty of care to the players and it would be remiss of them to ignore that.

If they suspend Lawrence indefinitely, they can't keep a close eye on him, if they don't suspend Lawrence but do Bennett, people will try and twist it.

It that’s the case then yes it’s going to be hard for the club to find the right balance. None of us want Lawrence to do anything stupid to himself, I’m sure he won’t with the right family network around him but I guess they won’t want to take any risks. 

8 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

Well said. 

Someone's mental health should not protect them from blame nor consequence for their actions; but speaking from experience, brushing off that issue later because of what they've done - is one sure fire way to send them to a very dark place. I imagine he's already in a dark enough place.

This needs to be treated very carefully.

Early on I was calling for the sack, but I like many knew this situation was likely for Lawrence and I'm annoyed at myself for wanting that. 

4 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

It that’s the case then yes it’s going to be hard for the club to find the right balance. None of us want Lawrence to do anything stupid to himself, I’m sure he won’t with the right family network around him but I guess they won’t want to take any risks. 

Yep, that's the problem the club now have, and people are going to moan at them whatever they do, but it's something for us all to be mindful of when they make their decisions.

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Well said. 

Someone's mental health should not protect from blame nor consequence for their actions; but speaking from experience, brushing off that issue later because of what they've done - is one sure fire way to send them to a very dark place. I imagine he's already in a dark enough place.

Early on I was calling for the sack, but I like many knew this situation was likely for Lawrence and I'm annoyed at myself for wanting that. 

That two players are involved in the same way and this situation is with one of them makes this incredibly difficult for the club. How could they be seen to treat them differently?

Most people wouldn't look into the background of the situation and would just assume one of them was being leniently treated and the other harshly treated for whatever reason they decided to make up themselves.

13 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Well said. 

Someone's mental health should not protect them from blame nor consequence for their actions; but speaking from experience, brushing off that issue later because of what they've done - is one sure fire way to send them to a very dark place. I imagine he's already in a dark enough place.

It’s important to remember that even if they they did get sacked, or even if they do get sent down in the worst case situation, it’s doesnt necessarily mean their Derby careers or careers as a whole are over so it doesn’t make you a bad person for originally wanting them to be sacked- Troy Deeney is one who came out of prison and arguably turned into a better player and a better human as it made him appreciate how lucky he was before.  The club can only act for the longer term , and it goes without saying, after the case is resolved which could go on for months.

2 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

It’s important to remember that even if they they did get sacked, or even if they do get sent down in the worst case situation, it’s doesnt necessarily mean their Derby careers or careers as a whole are over so it doesn’t make you a bad person for originally wanting them to be sacked- Troy Deeney is one who came out of prison and arguably turned into a better player and a better human as it made him appreciate how lucky he was before.  The club can only act for the longer term , and it goes without saying, after the case is resolved which could go on for months.

It's just horrible for everyone involved with the club, including us fans.

I just keep thinking how Mel must be feeling, he's paying all of this money to pay the players and run the club and then a few of them go and do this and put him into this situation. However we might be feeling, he must be feeling so much worse right now.

28 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Well said. 

The dust has settled a bit and the reaction towards Tom might be a little more sympathetic. However like you said, it’s not an excuse. I’m still upset that nobody stopped him or dragged him in to a taxi with them. If his mental health was known, then why was he left to drink himself in to that state with car keys in his pocket? So many details that we’ll never know for sure, so all we’re left with is speculation which is pointless.

Regardless of personal factors, all three are still utter imbeciles who have embarrassed our club and dragged its name through the mud. But at the end of the day, they’ll be dealt with appropriately by the criminal justice system and the club. I’m thankful that we are angry at them for being stupid rather than mourning them.  

13 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

It's just horrible for everyone involved with the club, including us fans.

I just keep thinking how Mel must be feeling, he's paying all of this money to pay the players and run the club and then a few of them go and do this and put him into this situation. However we might be feeling, he must be feeling so much worse right now.

Tin hat on,

I think the whole club needs to look at themselves to see if this was coming. 

From top to bottom. 

The Internal investigation should take care of this.

16 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The dust has settled a bit and the reaction towards Tom might be a little more sympathetic. However like you said, it’s not an excuse. I’m still upset that nobody stopped him or dragged him in to a taxi with them. If his mental health was known, then why was he left to drink himself in to that state with car keys in his pocket? So many details that we’ll never know for sure, so all we’re left with is speculation which is pointless.

Regardless of personal factors, all three are still utter imbeciles who have embarrassed our club and dragged its name through the mud. But at the end of the day, they’ll be dealt with appropriately by the criminal justice system and the club. I’m thankful that we are angry at them for being stupid rather than mourning them.  

Same, it was sheer luck that they didn't kill anyone, including themselves, and as ridiculous as this may sound (as it would obviously have been better if it didn't happen ever!) I'm glad that if it had to happen then it happened at a time when no one outside of the people who had control of their own situation got injured or worse, and this way, they should learn a lesson and it hasn't come at as high a cost as it might have if it had happened at a different time.

9 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Tin hat on,

I think the whole club needs to look at themselves to see if this was coming. 

From top to bottom. 

The Internal investigation should take care of this.

I know it's different for people inside a club, they know the players better than we do, but I've seen fans of other clubs say things like 'I'm so glad our players are sensible and wouldn't do anything like that', you know, if this had happened at a different club I would have thought the same thing, but here we are, it has happened in our club and I never would have expected it.

There's no exact rule book on this particular sequence of events.

A club may have to deal with a single drink driving incident or a group behaving badly, getting drunk in public etc, gambling, sex related issues, drug use, whatever other problems occur when 20 young (ish) men are working together in such a closed environment as professional football, but rarely has something like this happened on a bloody Tuesday night in Quarndon!

So far, Derby have imo, handled it with the utmost class and honesty.

A fairly short but strong condemnation of the incident but an awareness that all the facts may not be known yet.

Its uncharted territory and whatever happens there will be many who gloat at our situation but as long as Mel Morris and Phillip Cocu continue to act with the utmost integrity and statesmanship they have shown so far, we should let the Courts deal with it, then let the Club deal with it internally and in the meantime get behind our football team and do the only thing we can do to help us get through this.

Some, like me, are old enough to remember the trials and tribulations we've been through at the Baseball Ground like the Clough and Taylor sackings, relegation to Division 3, being about 10 minutes from going out of business, Maxwell, The 3 Amigos, and the outright unbridled joy of winning the League, the Arthur Cox and Jim Smith years and for the younger fans, the recent ups and downs at our new home on the old railway works of Chaddesden sidings. Its been frustrating and brilliant in equal measures since 2013. Thats what it will always be like being a Derby fan.

We've been through worse poo than this and come out of it with our heads held high.

I hope that all in the South Stand, East, West and North, will join me in giving the loudest rendition of WE ARE Derby the stadium has ever heard, not for the players who've let us down, but for Mel and Phil and the ones who only want to give their best for Derby County Football Club.

And for us, for the lads and lasses who turn up week after week, home and away, for us to have that feeling of belonging, that feeling of pride that we support and love our football club, through thick and thin.

Players, Managers and owners come and go, we don't, we're here to stay.

?

14 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

There's no exact rule book on this particular sequence of events.

A club may have to deal with a single drink driving incident or a group behaving badly, getting drunk in public etc, gambling, sex related issues, drug use, whatever other problems occur when 20 young (ish) men are working together in such a closed environment as professional football, but rarely has something like this happened on a bloody Tuesday night in Quarndon!

So far, Derby have imo, handled it with the utmost class and honesty.

A fairly short but strong condemnation of the incident but an awareness that all the facts may not be known yet.

Its uncharted territory and whatever happens there will be many who gloat at our situation but as long as Mel Morris and Phillip Cocu continue to act with the utmost integrity and statesmanship they have shown so far, we should let the Courts deal with it, then let the Club deal with it internally and in the meantime get behind our football team and do the only thing we can do to help us get through this.

Some, like me, are old enough to remember the trials and tribulations we've been through at the Baseball Ground like the Clough and Taylor sackings, relegation to Division 3, being about 10 minutes from going out of business, Maxwell, The 3 Amigos, and the outright unbridled joy of winning the League, the Arthur Cox and Jim Smith years and for the younger fans, the recent ups and downs at our new home on the old railway works of Chaddesden sidings. Its been frustrating and brilliant in equal measures since 2013. Thats what it will always be like being a Derby fan.

We've been through worse poo than this and come out of it with our heads held high.

I hope that all in the South Stand, East, West and North, will join me in giving the loudest rendition of WE ARE Derby the stadium has ever heard, not for the players who've let us down, but for Mel and Phil and the ones who only want to give their best for Derby County Football Club.

And for us, for the lads and lasses who turn up week after week, home and away, for us to have that feeling of belonging, that feeling of pride that we support and love our football club, through thick and thin.

Players, Managers and owners come and go, we don't, we're here to stay.

?

This! 

We are Derby!

No matter who plays for us,

We are Derby!

Archived