Best managerial achievement

9 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Wow!  That's one hell of a hypothetical question!

How about:

Assuming we sign a £30m striker this window, and they go on to not only score 24 league goals ensuring our automatic promotion, but also scores an FA Cup final hatrick to secure the double, would you consider him (or her!) our best ever signing?

Is it hot out there or something? Or is the closed season beginning to drag on a little now?
Just hang in there... not long to kick off now! 

Maybe, but if he was a loan George Thorne and Chris Martin would still be at the top of some people's lists ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair enough and I agree the original suggestion is a little over the top. I just wondered why you singled out that scenario almost as if it is the benchmark.

Was a little extreme, but quite fitting I thought for this topic. 

I think @SaintRam nailed it better earlier, whilst it would be an "at most would be eye opening to other clubs"

Sith Happens

How George Burley got us to promotion contenders with not a penny to spend will take some beating.

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

why hasn't anyone mentioned King Billy yet...?  Now getting that bunch promoted was a real achievement..

And to cement the point, that wouldn't be in a top 100 list in England either ? 

22 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

And to cement the point, that wouldn't be in a top 100 list in England either ? 

nope, I agree it wouldn't....but it would be miles ahead of anything Lampard, Rowett, Macx2, Powell, Pearson, Wassallx2, Clement, Nigel, Jewel, Westley, Brown, Burley, Gregory, Mcewan and Todd did..... wow that list is sad...

37 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

why hasn't anyone mentioned King Billy yet...?  Now getting that bunch promoted was a real achievement..

They were cruising near or at the top of the league until he brought in that bunch of players in the winter window, form slumped and they scraped into the playoffs. 

That and the fact that he was a horrible little man. Kudos to Nigel for kneeing him.

(Note: I do not condone violence of any kind).

Wouldnt even match the achievements of Billy Davies or George Burley in my opinion.

He's coming to a club that has regularly been challenging for play offs for the last 5 or 6 seasons.

Our wage budget must still be up at the top end for the division.

I'd be disappointed if we are not challenging again this season. 

Sith Happens
2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I would if he hadn't started the rot by spending a fortune in the January then trying to throw away promotion by playing them instead of the players that got us to the top.

Then when your summer sigmings in the Premier league include claude davis and eddie lewis, jeez. Proper 1 step forward 5 steps back. 

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

They were cruising near or at the top of the league until he brought in that bunch of players in the winter window, form slumped and they scraped into the playoffs. 

That and the fact that he was a horrible little man. Kudos to Nigel for kneeing him.

(Note: I do not condone violence of any kind).

Scraped into the play offs.!!??!?? Go back and look at the points totals. 

I think my best managerial achievement was getting Barrow into the Premier League in just 6 seasons, fell out with the board who refused to expand the ground past about 12000 seats though*.

*Absolutely definitely not talking about a football manager save.

On 25/07/2019 at 15:46, MackworthRamIsGod said:

And then get Lampard on a free, sell him for 4 odd million and get Cocu on a free.

Maybe Mel has given up on signing players and decided to trade in the managers markets?

If we keep trading up we will end up with Pep Guardiola and 50 million in the bank in 5 years.

It has been one of Mel's better strategies. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2019 at 13:48, Anon said:

Eddie Howe at Bournemouth. He saved them from relegation after taking over half way through the season with the team 10 points adrift of safety, and then won promotion the next season, despite still being under a transfer embargo.

Their journey was my first thought. 

On 25/07/2019 at 18:27, MuespachRam said:

nope, I agree it wouldn't....but it would be miles ahead of anything Lampard, Rowett, Macx2, Powell, Pearson, Wassallx2, Clement, Nigel, Jewel, Westley, Brown, Burley, Gregory, Mcewan and Todd did..... wow that list is sad...

Who’s McEwan? Never heard of him.

Archived