Best managerial achievement

On 25/07/2019 at 14:27, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It would be some achievement.

Assuming we don't have 3 or 4 wonderkids who step up and replace Mount/Tomori/Wilson we are far weaker than last season, forget the near 30 goals they scored between them, their sheer quality alone cannot be replaced (I feel) within our academy.

2 of our potential star players (Holmes and Marriott) struggle to stay fit at the minute and any new players we do sign are going to need a good few weeks to get up to speed.

I feel a relegation battle is more likely than a top 6 push at the minute (please bookmark that and ridicule me when we walk the league please).

Make no mistake I honestly think Cocu is a great appointment by Derby, but it will count for nothing if we don't back him this window, in my opinion.

Hasnt the signings so far including a club record ,show he is being backed?Where he will need backing is by the crowd particularly if we dont get off to the best of starts

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/07/2019 at 13:21, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Assuming we make no more signings, if we were to be promoted has there been a better managerial achievement in Derby's history or British professional football? 

In Derby County terms, I would contend that the turnaround engineered by Arthur Cox should be counted as a greater achievement.

Came to a club just relegated to the 3rd division.

A club that just about avoided liquidation in the High Court, had no money and something like severn or eight players with 1st team experience.

In an amazing display of wheeling-dealing and team building he arrested the decline, got us promoted, took us straight through the 2nd division and to 5th place in the 1st division

Sheer genius and bloody hard work. A true Ram's hero.

1 hour ago, Grimbeard said:

In Derby County terms, I would contend that the turnaround engineered by Arthur Cox should be counted as a greater achievement.

Came to a club just relegated to the 3rd division.

A club that just about avoided liquidation in the High Court, had no money and something like severn or eight players with 1st team experience.

In an amazing display of wheeling-dealing and team building he arrested the decline, got us promoted, took us straight through the 2nd division and to 5th place in the 1st division

Sheer genius and bloody hard work. A true Ram's hero.

This. The depths of awfulness that Derby had managed to reach were truly mind boggling for a team that had been at the very top of the tree less than 10 years before.

And then King Arthur arrived. The consolidation in year one followed by promotion in year two were great experiences but the next year is one that will live in my memory for ever. It wasn't a great start, but I happened to bump into John Gregory and Geraint Williams in the Broadway pub in what I guess was late September and Gregory was adamant that this team would get promoted. We had a quiet laugh after they left, but the next few weeks they turned it around and after that you just couldn't see them failing. 

Truly fantastic few years following them home and away.

Archived