Academy Thread 19/20

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So as I read it...

1) We will be drawn against one fellow team from Group 2 and play over 2 legs. I think we'd rather play any of the Scandinavians than go to Estonia or Belarus!

2) If we win that, then we then play one of the Round 1 winners from Group 1 over 2 legs.

If we win that, then we qualify for the competition proper with 7 other teams from this lot and the teams who qualified as of right as their seniors are in the Champions League themselves.

Does that sound right?

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

So as I read it...

1) We will be drawn against one fellow team from Group 2 and play over 2 legs. I think we'd rather play any of the Scandinavians than go to Estonia or Belarus!

2) If we win that, then we then play one of the Round 1 winners from Group 1 over 2 legs.

If we win that, then we qualify for the competition proper with 7 other teams from this lot and the teams who qualified as of right as their seniors are in the Champions League themselves.

Does that sound right?

Basically.
The groups of the competition proper are running while we play our 2 "Domestic Champions path" games.

If we win the two rounds; we then play one of the 8 teams who finished second in their group of the competition proper in the "play-offs" - winning that puts is into the competition proper's last 16.

56 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Basically.
The groups of the competition proper are running while we play our 2 "Domestic Champions path" games.

If we win the two rounds; we then play one of the 8 teams who finished second in their group of the competition proper in the "play-offs" - winning that puts is into the competition proper's last 16.

Right I get it... so there's no glamourous group stage for us even though we're the English national champions, but there is for the teams we finished above in the league such as Liverpool & Man City... how typical ?

8 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Right I get it... so there's no glamourous group stage for us even though we're the English national champions, but there is for the teams we finished above in the league such as Liverpool & Man City... how typical ?

Correct - the group stages are just a mirror of the senior Champions League. Seems kinda silly not to make it the out-and-out best youth teams in Europe but I suppose it saves a lot of effort in the competition organising for a tournament that basically gives UEFA nothing back.

Worth noting that Chelsea were in our position last season and finished runners up of the whole thing! Although that doesn't seem likely for us, as by the time we get to November I'm expecting all our better U23 players to be starting for our first team ? 

9 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Correct... and the 2nd best U18 team last season don't play a single game. Stoke, Blackburn and Boro all finished higher than Man City as well.

Regarding the draw
1st round - The teams are supposedly split geographically into 4 groups. Play 1 team from the same group over two legs. The team drawn first plays at home first.

2nd round - The 4 winners from groups 1 and 2 are put in group A, and the winners from groups 3 and 4 are put in group B. Play 1 team from the same group over two legs. The team drawn first plays at home first.

Then it's as @SaintRam says, "we then play one of the 8 teams who finished second in their group of the competition proper in the "play-offs" - winning that puts is into the competition proper's last 16"

Round 1

Group 1
1. Gabala (AZE)  vs  APOEL (CYP) 
2. Shkëndija Tiranë (ALB)  vs Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA) 
3. MTK Budapest (HUN) vs HŠK Zrinjski (BIH)
4. Real Zaragoza (ESP)  vs Korona Kielce (POL) 

Group 2
5. FC Minsk (BLR)  vs  Derby County (ENG) 
6. Elfsborg (SWE)  vs  Midtjylland (DEN) 
7. Sogndal (NOR)  vs  Honka (FIN)
8. ÍA Akranes (ISL)  vs  Levadia Tallinn (EST)

Group 3
9. Bohemians (IRL) vs  PAOK (GRE) 
10. Rennes (FRA)  vs  Brodarac (SRB) 
11. Young Boys (SUI)  vs  Rangers (SCO) 
12. Porto (POR)  vs  Liepāja (LVA)

Group 4
13. Viitorul (ROU)  vs  Domžale (SVN)
14. Ludogorets (BUL)  vs  Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
15. Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)  vs  KF Shkëndija (MKD)
16. Astana (KAZ)  vs  Maccabi Petah Tikva (ISR) 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A trip to Belarus beckons.

FC Minsk (BLR)  vs  Derby County (ENG) 

Thank goodness it was split regionally, rather than us being in pot 3 with such faraway possible destinations such as Scotland, Ireland and France ?

19 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Thank goodness it was split regionally, rather than us being in pot 3 with such faraway possible destinations such as Scotland, Ireland and France ?

Zaragoza were fortunate to have the group they had...

Gabala (AZE) - 2505 miles
APOEL (CYP) - 1909 miles
Shkëndija Tiranë (ALB) - 1083 miles
Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA) - 1549 miles
MTK Budapest (HUN) - 1063 miles
HŠK Zrinjski (BIH) - 968 miles
Korona Kielce (POL) - 1206 miles

*Crow miles

Archived