Academy Thread 19/20

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, fingers too cold to text. I'm back home now with the fire on full watching cricket to warm me up. There's no wonder Sibley wasn't playing earlier - he appears to be opening the batting for England!

We didn't really create a lot tonight, but Clay Cross seemed to be playing a deep lying 6-3-1 formation so very hard to break down. 

Jordan Brown played well, Javaun Splatt was getting very close attention from their number 5 but held his own. What we did create was mostly down to Babos. 

Their opening goal was a cracking header from a ball on the break that looped over Barnes into the top corner of the net. Our goal was a right scramble in the area that they could not clear. We had several of those in the first half but the ricochets were falling Clay Cross's way. This time we got on the end of it and I didn't even know who had got the final touch until I read it on Twitter.

Second half we didn't create a lot and their players ran themselves into the ground. On the whole I think they deserved their draw for sheer effort and the fact they were putting their bodies on the line.

Penalty shoot out was good; they missed their third (hit the bar) and then Barnsey GK saved their fourth. We took all four of ours well. 

Felt a bit sorry for them at the end but there was a good turn out on a cold night and I hope they made a few hundred quid for the club.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The U18s equalised on 3 occasions (including one in the last few seconds of the game). It finished 3-3 with two goals from Cybulski and one from Archie.

I think it was Dylan Williams’ first time in the squad at this level, but didn’t make it on to the pitch.

So where did that draw put us in the group? Did we progress to the next stage?

15 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

How bizarre, they all played 3, all won 1, drew 1, lost 1 and all teams conceded the same amount of goals as they scored.

The chances of that occuring must be insane. Across 4 teams, for goals conceded to be in the same descending order as goals scored. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before; even when teams weren't on equal points.

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

@Millenniumram, make yourself useful for once and give us the odds.

Christ I’d need to use some combinatorics for that sort of problem I think... I’m fundamentally shocking at that, can only thank god I’ve only ever had a multiple choice question on that in an exam! Afraid I’m as useless as ever here....

Archived