Academy Thread 19/20

Hammered the unbeaten Everton U23s 4-1, great football.

Also noticed in this game that Craig Forsyth is being used as a centre back alongside Wassall. Really interesting, I wonder if it's a plan to reinvent him now that we have Malone and Lowe and us being short of centre backs?

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Shang said:

Also noticed in this game that Craig Forsyth is being used as a centre back alongside Wassall. Really interesting, I wonder if it's a plan to reinvent him now that we have Malone and Lowe and us being short of centre backs?

I'm sure. He looked rusty on the floor but his heading was spot on last night. 

2 hours ago, Shang said:

I think on top of the fact that our LB position is very strong, and our CB isn't deep - there's also FAR less risk of the injuries he's suffered playing CB than bombing up and down the left wing. 
If he can make the conversion it would significantly increase his career longevity, you'd have thought.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I think on top of the fact that our LB position is very strong, and our CB isn't deep - there's also FAR less risk of the injuries he's suffered playing CB than bombing up and down the left wing. 
If he can make the conversion it would significantly increase his career longevity, you'd have thought.

Fully agreed. Also, Cocu has shown with Bielik that he likes to build fitness in a easier position.

8 hours ago, angieram said:

I'm sure. He looked rusty on the floor but his heading was spot on last night. 

Could have done with him at that back post today, when we were 2 on 1 for their 2nd and Davies seemed to have concrete in his boots.

Ryan Conway article in The Athletic about the Academy: https://theathletic.co.uk/1313789/2019/10/24/champions-of-england-derbys-teenagers-are-taking-on-europes-best-and-catching-cocus-eye/

This bit caught my interest: "Knight, Buchanan, Bird, Sibley all consistently train with the first team while Brown, like Whittaker, join them occasionally. For Walker, that’s key as the other scholars still being brought along slowly can see the pathway to success at the club is achievable. Cocu also takes an active interest in the academy. Wassall tells The Athletic that he has had more meetings with the first team than ever before during his decade at the club."

5 hours ago, JfR said:

The U23s beat Brighton U23s 2-1 today, Knight with both of the goals. That puts them temporarily top of PL2, and they will stay there if Chelsea are unable to get a win against Everton later today.

Chelsea game postponed I think.

On 29/10/2019 at 14:49, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’ll be honest. I posted it in the wrong thread by accident!

Wouldn't be the first time you did something where you shouldn't ??

For those who watch the U23s really regularly:

Which players do you feel will definitely be forcing their way into the Derby first XI in the next two/three years?

I assume Whittaker, Sibley, Knight, Buchanan...are there any others that really impress? 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

For those who watch the U23s really regularly:

Which players do you feel will definitely be forcing their way into the Derby first XI in the next two/three years?

I assume Whittaker, Sibley, Knight, Buchanan...are there any others that really impress? 

The four you mention and Bird train with the first team pretty much every session now.

Mitchell-Lawson and A Brown can’t be fat off. Minkley and Cashin are the most promising of the CBs from what I’ve seen, but unlikely they’ll feature in the first team without going out on loan first.

Stretton’s a goal machine but need to develop his all round game if he’s to breakthrough. Wilson needs to add end product.

I haven’t seen enough of the new batch of lads in the U18s to cast me judgment. 

Archived