The (actual) journey to and from Wembley

DCFC Ram

Drove to high wycombe and got the train from there. All very civilised with only a smattering of Villa fans. Then straight up the M40-M42.

Back in Leicestershire by 7.30. Ticket £15 return carpark only £6. 

I would definitely do it again. Even got to queue jump as the train was direct to High Wycombe. The Wembley staff at the stadium station actually know what they are doing too.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Coach on the way down was absolutely fine - cracking atmosphere at Newport Pagnell services. Got to the ground by about 12:30

Going home was the killer - sounds like the train was just as bad as the coach.

We were back at the coach by 5:30 (yellow car park) - took an hour before we even moved. Then took another hour to get through the traffic between Wembley and the M1.

Arrived at Newport Pagnell about 9ish I think. Saw Christine Lampard being mobbed outside the NP Services Waitrose (by women demanding selfies I should add...)

Then back on the coach hoping to be home by 10 - only to find that a lorry had jack-knifed between J22 and J23, so the motorway was closed in both directions. Consequently the whole weight of the M1 had to crawl down country lanes - and that took another extra hour.

Finally arrived home at about 11:20.

Next time I think the best bet is definitely to drive to the outskirts and get the tube/overground in. Everyone I know who did that was home by 8pm

That was my original suggestion, but nobody wanted to be the designated driver.  Considering how crap I feel right now, I think I might volunteer next time...

Luckily, the missus and I had a good journey back (despite some **** *** overtaking me on a blind bend with double solid white lines, who then had to do an emergency stop to avoid hitting a car coming the other way / running into the back of the car in front of me. Typical helmet London driver!!). Left at the final whistle, brisk walk to Wembley Central, 4 stops up to Kenton, 5 minute walk to the driveway that I parked on and back in Belper for around 7:50.

I feel sorry for those who got caught up with the train chaos and the M1 closure (I gather there were people playing footie on the M1 as it was closed for so long).

We had such a great day we didn’t care.

That’s not strict true,the lads gripes were.

Josh fell asleep when we got in the coach at the coach park at 5.30,woke up an hour and a half later expecting to be nearly home and we’d just left the coach park?.

Are we there yet?

Yes mate,If there means the exit of the coachpark.

Josh,’Dad,If that’s true I’m going to kill you right now’?

And Joel...’Dad,I’ve got no internet on my phone and it’s flat anyway and my headphones are flat...OMFG’!

Me,’Joel,how much do you love me?’

Joel’Errrrr,a lot,why?’

I then produce a battery charger,cables,spare charged bone conducting headphones and a fully charged iPad with movies and family guy’s downloaded plus a chilled pack of sausage rolls and pork pies.

’Dad,your a ducking legend!’

’You’re welcome mate’?

Sorry journey home M1 shut 21-22 nightmare got home at 12ish but the driver did great.

What I expect these days travelling.

49 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

We got the 7:53 from Lichfield, platform was busy but not manic.  But the problems started when it was announced that the train only had FOUR carriages!!!  How could they not have the foresight to put on much?!?!?!?  We were pretty hemmed in, but wasn't anywhere nearly as bad as on the way back.  Was gonna get the 20:02 from Euston, but as you saw, they only announced the platform as the train pulled in (I'm assuming to allow passengers to get off safely) and a poo-tonne of Villa fans sprinted for it.  Therefore decided to get the 20:27, but it was the exact same problem.  It was unbelievably rammed, dangerously so.  Due to delays in heading out and taking forever to get into Milton Keynes we were 30 minutes late arriving into Lichfield!!  

Said half way home that if the train were to crash, it would be a welcome release from the misery, and I stand by that comment...

To be fair we got back to Derby at 9.30 but the train journeys were unpleasant. I reckon that we may have got the same train down from Lichfield as you (4 carriages - problems at Tamworth) and squeezed onto the 18. something back. The train back was worse than going down. 

Train on the way there was extremely rammed in some areas for the 7:56 from Derby, it's only due to the common sense of some of the lads who did get off due to it being so overcrowded that there wasn't a safety issue. Quite frankly east midlands trains need to have a system in place for these events, look at how many carriages there are, and how many have booked tickets and only let the requisite safe remaining amount onto the platform. They simply filled the platform to bursting and once it was full blocked it off. 

St.Pancras.... well the less said about it the better. It was an absolute nightmare with no direction, no organisation and a lot of waiting. 

Coach journey down with Heanor Rams was great, left at 8.30, parked up at Wembley before12, Fan Park was rammed so cans from Sainsburys Local (£5 for 4 tins against £5.90 per pint), drank those soaking up the atmosphere at the bottom of Olympic Way.

Journey home was a nightmare, the coach park is a shambles, nearly 2 hours to get off the car park as they got the Villa coaches away first (how does that work when they won?).  Got to M1 in reasonable time once moving and were going well until they shut M1 meaning a detour round Loughborough.  Got home about 11.  If they can sort the coach park out everything would be fine.

Was going to go by train, changed mind after 5 mins of thinking about it. Went that way for the QPR game and didn't enjoy it really. So I offered to drive to Watford and the overland from there. It was a dream, left at 8.30 and parked up at Watford station at 10.23, went for a drink and lunch at Wetherspoons and got the 12.30 train to Wembley Central. Got the overland back and was back at Watford at 6.20, straight in the car and back at Derby about 2 hours later. I dropped off and got back to Nottingham at 9.15. From now on, I will always drive down. Much less stressful. Plus I can have whatever podcasts on in the car too, that helped.

Journey down was brilliant, left at 7, stopped for breakfast at asda around 9.30 and then parked on a driveway near to asda for £12.50 (pre-booked). Leisurely 10 minute stroll down to the stadium. 

Journey back was a nightmare. Stayed to applaud our boys then headed up Wembley way to get back to asda, stopped at Costa on the way up. Got told we had to go under the subway towards the station with several thousand villa fans heading to the tube, and walk round despite my mum struggling with walking due to injuring a rib... and having a very overwhelmed child (why we couldn't go up the steps I dont know!), got back to the car around 6.15ish, very quick getting out onto the M1 (only good bit of the journey) stopped for food at Watford gap, leaving there about 8.30 (should have been home by 9.30 latest....) got stuck in traffic because of the accident and finally got home just after 11....so more than double the journey time. 

Journey down was fine and our coach was parked up by 11:30. Journey back was the complete opposite, got out of the coach park at 5 to 7 and then had the detour because of the accident on the motorway, got dropped off in town and couldn't find one yellow taxi! Walked up to eagle taxis and waited half an hour, got home just after 11:30.

7 minutes ago, whaley bridge Ram said:

Great day out left at 7.30 parked on a drive 12 mins from stadium at the villa end no hassle clear run back home 3 hours 10 mins not bad 184 miles saw some duck head putting up his banner don’t cry Frank in the pouring rain?

roll on next season coyrs 

Is this the matrix and you had two days out in 24hours ?

Anyone else heard about this???

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sorry-Derby-and-gccl-from-avfc

As many of you will have seen, a coach carrying Derby County fans was mindlessly vandalised by a minority of AVFC fans outside ’the Green’, near Wembley.

I witnessed these appalling events unfold and I was sickened by what I saw. It was a minority and they do not represent AVFC fans. It was heartening to see how many true fans were condemning this at the time.

This page is set up with the aim of paying for the damage incurred by the coach company (Big Green Coach Company Limited) and refunding the ticket prices to all of those sat on the coach, no doubt terrified as they were stuck in traffic.

Whilst the company will have insurance, this will impact on future premiums which will increase costs for all customers. This is a Birmingham based company.

We collectively should put this right.

Fair play...

We drove. Left home at 8.30 and parked on a pre-booked drive about 10 minutes walk from stadium by 11.15.

Plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere pre-match. Afterwards we stayed behind to clap the players, walked back to the car and were back on M1 by 6pm. Home at 8.15pm. 

Only times we queued for long were on foot -  to get into the loos at Newport Pagnell on the way down and when the stewards inexplicably made us go up into Wembley Park station even though we wanted to go round and get back to our car! 

8 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Good journey - better than we could have expected. Drove from Cannock down M1 and even in the roadworks sections kept to a steady 50mph. Parking on someone's drive in Stanmore had been pre- booked but because of previous traffic problems we decided to leave the M1 at J5 instead of J4. Very little traffic getting into Stanmore so same route on return trip - home by 8pm.

Just the match which didn't go to plan but roll on next season.

We different me and dad did not get back gone 11pm at pp because people blocked toliet on roadrider had stop service station and then we could not get a taxie home so had to walk adding another 45mins back so gone midnight before we final got home.

J28 to j5. Train from there. Wouldn't change a thing. Done it a few times now and it's a doddle. 2 hours sat still on the M1 on the way back. Lorry crash about 300 yards in front of me. Would've been back for 830. Got in around 1030. 

Drive down at 8am,easy journey  but found we couldn't get a place to park as the red car park was pre book only....now this was my fault as I took from my man city mad brother in law who therefore attends wembley on a weekly basis that there was absolutely no need to do so...balls.

Ended up parking at extortionate cost at the nearby civic centre..at least it was secure and well looked after I suppose 

Luckily(!)we lost the final so there were no Derby pubs left open around wembley and we resorted to drinking buds from Sainsbury's and watching bullseye in the room instead of paying out for £6 a pint London dishwater.

I spite of everything,it was still an experience to savour and I couldn't be prouder of our club and the vast majority of our supporters (the t**t who kicked off a chair seat and bunged it into his own crowd of supporters excepted you total f******* tool and I hope you got your just deserts after)

As long as Frank stays,I cannot wait for next season....

COYR

48 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

We different me and dad did not get back gone 11pm at pp because people blocked toliet on roadrider had stop service station and then we could not get a taxie home so had to walk adding another 45mins back so gone midnight before we final got home.

what a load of poo.?

Archived