The (actual) journey to and from Wembley

DCFC Ram

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

We different me and dad did not get back gone 11pm at pp because people blocked toliet on roadrider had stop service station and then we could not get a taxie home so had to walk adding another 45mins back so gone midnight before we final got home.

Oh come on B4, admit it, it was you wasn't it??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to stand all the way from Tamworth to Euston... On Sunday!  Very little in the way of "Room to move".  rating 1/10, and that's because it didn't break down, was on time, and took us closer to Wembley than where we started the day!

Return was horrendous enough to vow never again!  The platform number for the 20:27 from Euston was announced at 20:23... and the ensuing rush (Both Villa & Rams) was both fluid and panic strewn!  We just managed to squeeze on.  Muckerette came close to a full on panic attack, but the gal did herself proud in the end. The woman next to her was no better, but she managed to make a call, and arrange a pick up at Rugby instead of travelling to her intended destination. 

It was proper sardines all the way to Tamworth.  Late set off due to kids/parents becoming separated.  OB climbing on board... in the cool guardsman's carriage thing mind!  No room to even shuffle from foot to foot (I'm not exaggerating!) .  No air con... everyone sweating like buckets and pissing in bottles!Everyone was complaining, but nobody was prepared to step off, and delay their journey... us included.  We arrived at Tamworth at 22: 31... 5 mins after the connecting train to Derby had left.  So an hours wait for the next one.  Taxi was quoted at £75 (Time & half due to bank holiday!).  Nobody was prepared to join us in a foursome, so we hung on.  

Just as the Derby train was due to pull in, the next train from Euston came in, so the hordes behind us all piled to the front on the platform, so yet again, it was standing room only.  Yet again, it was toe to toe.  We dashed out at Derby, and managed to get to the front of the taxi rank, and was home (Chad) 10 mins later... 00:34, to be precise.

Rating for the journey home... You can shove yer duckin trains up yer arse!  

And that coming from someone who used to be in his element, doing the football specials back in the '70s!  

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Had to stand all the way from Tamworth to Euston... On Sunday!  Very little in the way of "Room to move".  rating 1/10, and that's because it didn't break down, was on time, and took us closer to Wembley than where we started the day!

Return was horrendous enough to vow never again!  The platform number for the 20:27 from Euston was announced at 20:23... and the ensuing rush (Both Villa & Rams) was both fluid and panic strewn!  We just managed to squeeze on.  Muckerette came close to a full on panic attack, but the gal did herself proud in the end. The woman next to her was no better, but she managed to make a call, and arrange a pick up at Rugby instead of travelling to her intended destination. 

It was proper sardines all the way to Tamworth.  Late set off due to kids/parents becoming separated.  OB climbing on board... in the cool guardsman's carriage thing mind!  No room to even shuffle from foot to foot (I'm not exaggerating!) .  No air con... everyone sweating like buckets and pissing in bottles!Everyone was complaining, but nobody was prepared to step off, and delay their journey... us included.  We arrived at Tamworth at 22: 31... 5 mins after the connecting train to Derby had left.  So an hours wait for the next one.  Taxi was quoted at £75 (Time & half due to bank holiday!).  Nobody was prepared to join us in a foursome, so we hung on.  

Just as the Derby train was due to pull in, the next train from Euston came in, so the hordes behind us all piled to the front on the platform, so yet again, it was standing room only.  Yet again, it was toe to toe.  We dashed out at Derby, and managed to get to the front of the taxi rank, and was home (Chad) 10 mins later... 00:34, to be precise.

Rating for the journey home... You can shove yer duckin trains up yer arse!  

And that coming from someone who used to be in his element, doing the football specials back in the '70s!  

That sounds horrendous thought my experience in the coach park (yellow bus park ) was bad.got back to coach at about 5.30 still there at 7.30 not moved an inch due to them letting the villa fans out on the road and the coach parked right at the back. Eventually got going for the slow ride back to Burton. Got home for about 11.40.think next time I will drive and park at Stanmore and Tube it in  

11 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Fantastic journey to and from the stadium, learned a few lessons in the past two play off finals, set off from Derby at 9.45 and was parked up outside the stadium in the yellow car park for 12.15, I used my dads blue badge so got a decent spot, near the entrance and turns out next to the exit, at the final whistle decided to depart the stadium, we were on the  lower level sat right next to the exit to the concourse which in turn was dead across from the main exit / entrance in to the ground, which was at the top of the steps from Wembley way, at the bottom of Wembley way there was a co op or Tesco, I recognised it from the car park earlier, went down the side of there which was directly next where I had parked the car, I reckon we were first ones out the car park, straight onto the M1 and we were back home at 6.55 a total journey time of one hour and 55 minutes !

I kid you not ! Wembley seat to front room in Alvaston !

All in the planning !

Excuse me sir. Are you aware of the speed limit?

2 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

what a load of poo.?

That'll have been the bloke sat in front of me.

there were some ripe fumes eminating from his rear end all game. 

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Excuse me sir. Are you aware of the speed limit?

Do you know something @RamNut I probably didn’t go above 80 ! Perfect 50 for the 24 mile stretch in northants, a few 60 mph on the adjustable speed limit zones, just flukey, literally ten minutes from leaving our seats at full time to being sat in the car and offski out the parking lot, must have first or second one out and on the M1 in about ten minutes.

this was not by chance but down to experience from last time, no day trippers here !

Original plan was to drive down on the day to the outskirts and tube it in. Last minute change saw us drive down the day before and stop the night in Marlow. Glad we did it that way as the tube station car park was pretty much full by the time we got there at 10:30am. Back at the car via the tube for roughly 5:45pm, we some how managed to be back in Lancashire by 9:30pm. Will be amazed if the brother-in-law doesn't get stung with at least one speeding fine. Much better than the train last time and a damn sight cheaper even with the accommodation factored in.

8 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

Drove to high wycombe and got the train from there. All very civilised with only a smattering of Villa fans. Then straight up the M40-M42.

Back in Leicestershire by 7.30. Ticket £15 return carpark only £6. 

I would definitely do it again. Even got to queue jump as the train was direct to High Wycombe. The Wembley staff at the stadium station actually know what they are doing too.

Agree, train in from Banbury - got to the ground just before 2pm. After the game was on a train within fifteen minutes, seat in both directions. Surprisingly little Villa, I think they were all still inside the ground cheering and being better fans than we had managed to be all day (sarcasm btw). Staff were very helpful, clear and directive.

On the 17.16 train to Denham back to car at 17.25  quick coffee back home for 19.36 and sat reading the forum.

Super organisation at Wembley Stadium station from the Chiltern train guys done this a few times now always the same.

Used the Roadrider and couldnt complain at all!

Got to the Pride park around 0730 and was on the road by 0830 so not too bad. got to the stadium around 12 including the stop off. 

Coming home was one of the first buses out the car park and the driver heard about the m1 incident ahead of time so turned off at 21a. back in Derby by 930 so not the worst!

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Do you know something @RamNut I probably didn’t go above 80 ! Perfect 50 for the 24 mile stretch in northants, a few 60 mph on the adjustable speed limit zones, just flukey, literally ten minutes from leaving our seats at full time to being sat in the car and offski out the parking lot, must have first or second one out and on the M1 in about ten minutes.

this was not by chance but down to experience from last time, no day trippers here !

did you park on the five a side pitch?

I was glad I went from King's Cross.

My journey home was ruined by (losing and) some Leeds fans who had bought advance rail tickets for the playoff and used then for a day out anyway. Droning on about crying Frank Lampard, how the better team won the final, and how they are going up as champions. I woke up near Newark with a hangover.

2 hours to get there door to door

4 hours to get back.

Mind, the way back was interrupted because I'd bought cheapie train tickets and wasn't allowed to board a train out of London before 7pm.

So it was to the Junction in clapham. Met a couple of blokes who'd been at the game who were Londoners....how come?

One of them had met Charlie George and had a couple of tales about him signing up for Derby. What with that random encounter and a couple of tickles of Old Rosie, my spirits were a bit restored. 

Helped direct a couple of villa fan families around the London overground system as well so they didn't get lost. Well you do, don't you ?

Parked up about a 10 min walk from Stanmore about 8am on a road with no restrictions. Train to Wembley Park was easy, went to torch after the game and stayed at a mates in Brixton over night. We got back in the car this morning at 11 30. All very easy! Think we are going to do that for Fulham and Brentford away next season! 

2 hours to Harrow on Hill, parked on street £16, 1 min walk to tube.

Way back was easy, had to divert away from Stanmore but home around 8ish.

Only frustration was the car park at Harrow tube had turned into LUL staff only so didn't take risk.

Same for us, left Pride Park on coach 11, excellent journey down with a Notts County supporting driver, no problems at all parked up by midday. Journey home nightmare. Took forever to get out the Wembley coach park. Seems to be a total free for all with very little traffic management. 

Whoever decided on all the development around the stadium really should have put more than one road in and one road out.

Very busy M1 on the way back through the road works etc, driver said the Police had told him not to stop until Leicester East. He knew about the closure at J22 so came of at 21a through Loughborough back to J23. Took 40 minutes to get through J23. Back at Pride Park for 10:30 so not too bad really.

Archived