Danny Baker fired for racist tweet about Royal baby

froggg

2 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I avoid all news to do with the Royal family, by basically avoiding all news - was only aware there was a new kid on the block via an email about a sweepstake on the name of the baby at work.

I did know one of her parents were black, but as I said in my previous message I wouldn't have put the two things together when I saw Bakers tweet - at least not initially. Obviously when it's pointed out it does kind of hit you in the face, but genuinely wouldn't have thought that at first.

My post wasn't a dig at you at all. I was surprised that any one who works in the media as a presenter/news reporter etc did not know that she was mixed race.

I fail to see how that could be remotely possible especially in the line of work and who he works for.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

My post wasn't a dig at you at all. I was surprised that any one who works in the media as a presenter/news reporter etc did not know that she was mixed race.

I fail to see how that could be remotely possible especially in the line of work and who he works for.

Oh yeah absolutely he would have known, just think I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he probably wasn't thinking of that when he made the tweet.

That said, if you're in a job in the media and on twitter you should probably be more careful.

So I guess I'm saying, I don't think he is racist, didn't mean it in a racist way, but given the current climate, would probably be wise to think twice before posting anything if he wants to keep his job at an organisation like the BBC.

Just now, JoetheRam said:

but given the current climate, would probably be wise to think twice before posting anything if he wants to keep his job at an organisation like the BBC.

Meanwhile at the BBC - who is on Question Time tonight? Oh it's well known "definitely not a racist enabler" Nigel Farage...

Go figure

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

That's essentially it innit?

He's explained that it wasn't meant as racist and apologised profusely, but as a society we're at a point where we can't be emboldening racists. You make the valid point that the whole "monkey as racist insult" thing has largely died out, but it's not forgotten and if genuine racists see that he got away with that then they will take it as positive encouragement to do the same

And before you question if people like that actually exist -  I'll remind you that he's a Milwall fan...

I'm agreeing with most of what you say but I also feel we should not be emboldening moral conservatives (small c) whose tactic seems to be to try to raise their agenda through manufactured offence.

But Danny has gone, not exactly the assassination of Martin Luther King and I certainly won't be losing much sleep over it. Sad that the 'offended' have managed to divide us one more time, raise up old spectres (monkey based racism) that most of us considered long dead and buried and once more use social media to drive further an ultra conservative agenda that tolerates nothing beyond their own beliefs.

Who a actually pointed it put as being racist. Surely that person is racist. 

Its like you post a picture of a wolf or something. Then someone makes a connection ‘you could’ve posted a picture of a dog, but you chose a wolf, cos a wolf is bigger, and bigger rhymes with...’ what the duck. If that’s the connection you make, then I think you should take a look in the mirror, I just like wolves and wanted to post a picture of one. 

Thats the kind of world we live in. 

My point is, I get that the history of racial discrimination needs to be remembered and awareness raised. But at the same time, my kids don’t even know the concept of racism, they wouldn’t even know treating someone differently for the colour of their skin is a thing, until it all gets rubbed in their face like this. 

Whys that man pointed and shouting and swearing at that other man? Cos he’s a different colour. Oh, is that what I should be doing too then. 

Within a couple of generations, you could edificare racism. Kids aren’t born racist, they’re taught it by society. 

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

Isn't the point more that they didn't care she was mixed race? I knew but couldn't care less while some others (as SaintRam pointed out earlier) do see it as a big thing. It's like Obama, I didn't see him as a black President, I saw him as a good President.

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Who a actually pointed it put as being racist. Surely that person is racist. 

Just seen his doorstep interview on Sky;

https://news.sky.com/story/danny-baker-sorry-over-stupid-chimp-tweet-about-royal-baby-archie-11715152

He looks genuinely remorseful and bewildered. Its a real shame that context is now irrelevant and he is now lumped in with actual racists.

I never found him particularly entertaining myself but this guy has just been sacked and made unemployable for the forseeable future.  Sad times.

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Isn't the point more that they didn't care she was mixed race? I knew but couldn't care less while some others (as SaintRam pointed out earlier) do see it as a big thing. It's like Obama, I didn't see him as a black President, I saw him as a good President.

Exactly. If people didn’t make a big deal of it, it wouldn’t have to be a big deal. 

Theres a balance to be struck, and I don’t think we’re striking it right. You can’t just stick you’re fingers in your ears and say ‘la la la I’m not listening’ and hope racists go away. But at the same time, by calling them out, you end up raising more awareness of the racist agenda. 

My kids are mixed race. I suppose they’re lucky, in that it’s not physically obvious. Much to the annoyance of my mum, they get their skin tone from me. I wonder if they had have been darker, would that have had a noticeable impact on how people perceive them. When they’re older, will people befriend them, then find out their mums Latino, will their attitudes change. 

Kids are cruel, if they want to hurt other kids, they’ll use anything. You’re mums fat, you’ve got glasses, whatever, so will ‘your mum’s got a funny accent’ ever come up, I wonder. 

15 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I only saw a great President, I also only see Megan. My point was that Danny Baker would almost definitely known about her heritage, ergo he was an almighty twit to put out a tweet like that.

Whether he meant it or not, it is perceived as insensitive and racist to some. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Theres a balance to be struck, and I don’t think we’re striking it right. You can’t just stick you’re fingers in your ears and say ‘la la la I’m not listening’ and hope racists go away. But at the same time, by calling them out, you end up raising more awareness of the racist agenda.

Or when its not even there as I believe is this case.

There is a balance to be struck and we definitely haven't got it right - you're either perfect or you're a racist ?  We need to have discussions about many sensitive topics in society not just racism, but at the moment outrage culture is not only making progress impossible but also negating any of the progress we've made.

6 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Exactly. If people didn’t make a big deal of it, it wouldn’t have to be a big deal. 

My kids are mixed race. I suppose they’re lucky, in that it’s not physically obvious. Much to the annoyance of my mum, they get their skin tone from me. I wonder if they had have been darker, would that have had a noticeable impact on how people perceive them. When they’re older, will people befriend them, then find out their mums Latino, will their attitudes change. 

Kids are cruel, if they want to hurt other kids, they’ll use anything. You’re mums fat, you’ve got glasses, whatever, so will ‘your mum’s got a funny accent’ ever come up, I wonder. 

My Mum is not fat, how dare you.

It's a bit like the Sterling case - when he came out and said he was being mistreated on the grounds of race I initially thought he was being a bit of a drama queen. However, I did think about it and wondered if it was the case. Maybe? Even without realising are we somehow discriminating against people for reasons that we subconsciously apply and don't realise. If I'm being 100% honest I'd say that has been the case, I certainly would say that I have been occasionally unconsciously sexist up to very recent times, probably unconsciously racist in my younger years. So we can't just let it go as we all have to face up to it.

That said, we have to do that by being tolerant and considerate of other's views. And we have to evolve our views, recognising that how we thought years ago is not the way we think today. And, most importantly, we have to do it with the desired intent of improving our society. I know that we all think we are right but a little more time trying to understand why people do things, or even why I do things, rather than jumping on the 'I'm offended' band wagon would help us go a long way to a better way of interacting on places like Twitter. So, for this case, Baker was stupid but he realised he was stupid, acted on his own accord to remove the post and apologised profusely and with real intent before he was asked to do so. That was enough, firing him is doing nothing more than pandering to people who are not - imho - playing the game with the best interests of us all as an outcome.

30 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I never found him particularly entertaining myself but this guy has just been sacked and made unemployable for the forseeable future.  

Nah - he'll get another job doing his show easily. His was the most popular show on 5Live - regularly getting half a million listeners

He made a stupid mistake and he's apologised. Plenty of commercial stations will snap his hand off - there is no baggage, not like he's been outed as an actual racist

How about that Alan Sugar though? Remember his racist tweet about the Senegalese football team looking like the beach sellers in Marbella. That was deliberately racist in intent and he doubled down on it at first...didn't get sacked mind you..

I'm at the stage in my life where I don't even spot skin colour. I genuinely never think about someone's race until it's mentioned. I think Danny Baker, having heard his outlook on life in recent "Behind Closed Doors" podcasts, is generally just so blase about life that he doesn't care enough to make someone's skin colour something he really cares about. 

For me, the only reason I know that she is mixed race (black) is cos her screen dad in Suits is black, and the storylines point out his race quite a lot.

If I didn't know who she was, and you pinned me to predict/guess, I'd say Meghan Markle was latino/hispanic, not mixed-race black. 

I doubt Danny Baker watched Suits, and I doubt he cares for the royal family enough to pay attention to the tabloid drama about her.

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

How about that Alan Sugar though? Remember his racist tweet about the Senegalese football team looking like the beach sellers in Marbella. That was deliberately racist in intent and he doubled down on it at first...didn't get sacked mind you..

The point being anyone saying something offensive and then goes on to defend their action is guilty anyway?  Can no one be genuinely innocent anymore?  Do we have to take maximum offence at everything?

A sad perspective on life ?

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

A sad perspective on life ?

It's a sad world though isn't it?

Man makes accidental racist joke, immediately retracts and apologises - sacked

Man makes intentional racist joke, defends it claiming that it's funny, then eventually retracts it and apologises - not sacked

Man makes jokes about raping women, refuses to apologise - stands as MEP

Go figure

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

It's a sad world though isn't it?

Man makes accidental racist joke, immediately retracts and apologises - sacked

Man makes intentional racist joke, defends it claiming that it's funny, then eventually retracts it and apologises - not sacked

Man makes jokes about NOT raping A women, refuses to apologise - stands as MEP

Go figure

ftfy ?

but yeah its a sad SJW world we're living in at present;

context - not allowed

apology - not accepted

We demand instant and severe justice, if not we'll mobilize against your advertisers or suppliers to cripple you.

Maybe one day soon we'll realise that the inmates have taken over the asylum and get back to discussing issues like grown-ups.  Until then, I'm sure I should be outraged about something, lemme go check twitter for a while and get back to you...

14 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Well not quite, as he did then make a second joke about doing it if he was drunk enough. But yeah context is important.

As you've proved many times !

In a sketch video where he also cracked jokes about invading Spain etc - context ?

And talking about context, hopefully the next post someone makes will be back on topic!

This will shock some people as in the past on here I have been quite balanced on issues like tommy Robinson ,trump ect and very anti political correctness and as such felt the thinly veiled insulation that it makes you somehow racist to not see these two quite like some on here do but here goes ,

i am really questioning whether racism is on the rise ( don’t believe it’s down to the trumps and Robinson’s of this world ) as it seems to be raising its head again in football grounds around the country in a way that it had been dying out if not dead until recently ( am I wrong and it was not almost eradicated ?) ,now Baker is in the media ( not living in a bubble)is not dumb and is very very clued up on football matters ,now we are in the midst of black players being racially abused in Europe by disgusting and dark ages monkey chants so even if he doesn’t see the monkey pic as racist then I’m pretty sure that he is fully aware that’s it’s the kind of stuff churned out by racists .

now as I say I’m a hater of the political correctness guff and the attack on freedom of speech to talk about issues properly but ffs we do have to put a modicum of thought into what we put out there ,even more so if you are part of the media

Archived