Danny Baker fired for racist tweet about Royal baby

froggg

Firstly, if it's 'accidental racism', it's not racism. Kind of obviously and by definition I'd have thought.

Secondly, the bloke's been thrown under a bus because a bunch of no-marks on the internet spend their days looking for things to be offended by, then tear down whoever strays into their scope like a bunch of banshees. This is no way to run a grown-up society.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

I must have my head in the sand cause i didn't know megan is mixed race.

That said in the current climate of being offended for the sake of being offended it was a silly thing to do.

I would say however all of those people who proclaimed offence and immediately connected a chimp with a mixed race baby are probably more racist than those who never gave it a single thought. If the first thing you think about when you see a picture of a monkey is 'black person ' and then go searching for a tenuous link then you really need to shake your head and stop it.

54 minutes ago, Needless said:

Firstly, if it's 'accidental racism', it's not racism. Kind of obviously and by definition I'd have thought.

Secondly, the bloke's been thrown under a bus because a bunch of no-marks on the internet spend their days looking for things to be offended by, then tear down whoever strays into their scope like a bunch of banshees. This is no way to run a grown-up society.

The last term I would ever use nowadays in relation to society is 'grown-up'.

Its either,

1. The Royals have put pressure on the BBC to sack him because they can, 

2. The BBC have sacked him to ensure they dont get left out in future Royal news. 

Actually, probobly both. 

Fair to say Baker likes a drink most nights and his judgement might of been a bit clouded. 

13 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Its either,

1. The Royals have put pressure on the BBC to sack him because they can, 

2. The BBC have sacked him to ensure they dont get left out in future Royal news. 

Actually, probobly both. 

Fair to say Baker likes a drink most nights and his judgement might of been a bit clouded. 

The BBC have sacked him because they're the embodiment of terrified middle-class liberal PC bumfluffery, and can't bear to be seen as anything but the most right on of the right on. Also, almost by extension, they can't stand Danny Baker...they've got previous. Very much doubt anyone connected with the royals knew a damn thing about it, the timeline between tweet and sacking must have been astonishingly short.

I actually love the BBC, by the way. 

33 minutes ago, Needless said:

The BBC have sacked him because they're the embodiment of terrified middle-class liberal PC bumfluffery, and can't bear to be seen as anything but the most right on of the right on. Also, almost by extension, they can't stand Danny Baker...they've got previous. Very much doubt anyone connected with the royals knew a damn thing about it, the timeline between tweet and sacking must have been astonishingly short.

I actually love the BBC, by the way. 

My moneys still on Royal intervention. Media spotters everywhere to ensure the image is protected. 

49 minutes ago, Needless said:

The BBC have sacked him because they're the embodiment of terrified middle-class liberal PC bumfluffery, and can't bear to be seen as anything but the most right on of the right on.

So PC and "right on" that they have Farage on Question Time AGAIN tonight.

Realistically the reason he was summarily dismissed is more to do with the fact that 5Live is not a particularly popular station and they don't want to give anyone in the higher echelons an excuse to close them down altogether. Ironic really as Baker's show was their most popular one. I bet he'll end up back on Talksport

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

So PC and "right on" that they have Farage on Question Time AGAIN tonight.

It would be odd if they didn't, surely?

He's the figurehead (like him or loathe him) of a movement that gained massive popular support. Who else stands for Brexit with remotely the same profile? They've got to have someone on to represent that view or they'd be rightly accused of bias.

52 minutes ago, Needless said:

It would be odd if they didn't, surely?

Well you tell me - you just said that the BBC was "right on" and PC - but then in the next breath you're saying that they happily have one of  country's leading anti-PC demagogues on because they don't want to appear biased...which is it?

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Well you tell me - you just said that the BBC was "right on" and PC - but then in the next breath you're saying that they happily have one of  country's leading anti-PC demagogues on because they don't want to appear biased...which is it?

Both Stive. The world isn't black and white....well...bad choice of terms on a DCFC forum...but still.

They BBC is lead by a group of well meaning people who are achingly PC, liberal and probably knit vegan friendly ecobicycles in their spare time. This does not mean that they are bad people, or feel they have carte blanche to produce propaganda. When producing a popular news or current affairs programme they do their duty by the license fee payers and their charter and make damn sure they reflect as many points of view as possible. To be guilty of bias would eat the heart out of them.

This gives rise to having religious nut jobs, science deniers and political extremists and opportunists like Farage or Galloway on the box.

Given the opportunity to stick the knife into Danny Baker for being slightly tainted by a whiff of accusations of racism though, and they're all over it.

Stupid joke.

i can believe that danny baker is so stupid that he doesn't see the racist connotation until its too late. I have no problem with him being sacked. He'll be back just as all the other idiots are after a brief period of expulsion - chris evans, jonathan ross, russell brand etc etc.

a bloke at work was telling me about it. He found every aspect of the story side splittingly funny. The fact that baker was sacked. His stupidity. The joke. The unintended joke. The racist joke. He was creasing himself at every different facet. I was his polar opposite, finding absolutely nothing remotely amusing in any aspect of it all. 

anyway.....when can we get rid of our Royals?  Having a Royal family is just ridiculous. 

11 hours ago, Needless said:

By the way, the best thing on tv on now...This Week. Brilliant.

Wasn't that on last week? Bloody repeats.

I'm not outraged by the tweet .. argggh so what, there are more important things in life to worry about than a bit of bad taste in the joke dept.

As to his job, what a complete idiot. Deserves the sack. He is a seasoned media professional working for the national broadcaster. No wait,, he isn't a professional, pros I mean real pros don't do that. ….Bottom line, he's thick as 2 short planks if he didn't realise what he was doing. And if he did then he should know better. In either case he was in the wrong job.

Archived