Harry Wilson

belperram9

Hauled off yesterday, has been really poor for me since January. He’s an average winger at best, not much pace, lightweight, and lacks a trick. If the game was purely free kicks and dead ball situations he’d be one of the best but not sure what else he brings to the side? Would have preferred Weimann over him (look what he’s doing at Bristol) but that’s football. 

Whoever wants him permanent next year (probably Leeds according to papers) will have to fork out £20 mill apparently?! I’ve seen nothing to suggest he is worth 2 million yet alone 20!

Problem is Jozefzoon isn’t the answer either, neither is Bennett. I’d like to see a winger with pure pace in the summer.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO he plays better with Mount in the middle. Maybe he’s on another level and players can’t keep with him? Just an idea. His goal against WBA seemed his best position for me. I agree to a degree, yesterday he did very little.

Of the three loanees Wilson has been the least impressive, not saying he’s done badly but I think Mount and Tomori will become integral players wherever they end up, Wilson will find it a lot harder. 

When he’s playing well he’s got good vision, can keep possession and can pick a pass to add to his goal threat. But he’s been well off it in recent weeks.

I think the Prem suits his style much better than the champ so it’d be interesting to see how he does at a mid level Prem team on loan before writing him off. That said I can’t see him making it at Liverpool.

I know FL has said he’d welcome him back but I’d look for a more aggressive winger with physical presence that suits this division better to replace him.

On Jozefzoon I think there’s a player in there, he just hasn’t really had the chance to show it over a run of games. That said he hasn’t done himself any favours at times when given a rare chance!

Weimann is doing very well at Bristol, mainly because they play him in his actual position which is down the middle. So if it was a choice between Wilson and Weimann for a place on the wing, it would have to be Wilson. His set piece play his better than his general play, but his general play is not none existent at all. Proved that at Brentford. The assertion (although im sure it was hyperbole) that he is only worth 2 million is ridiculous for someone who has scored 12 goals as a winger. 

Weimann is a striker, so its a false comparison. 

BuckTaylor64
2 hours ago, belperram9 said:

Hauled off yesterday, has been really poor for me since January. He’s an average winger at best, not much pace, lightweight, and lacks a trick. If the game was purely free kicks and dead ball situations he’d be one of the best but not sure what else he brings to the side? Would have preferred Weimann over him (look what he’s doing at Bristol) but that’s football. 

Whoever wants him permanent next year (probably Leeds according to papers) will have to fork out £20 mill apparently?! I’ve seen nothing to suggest he is worth 2 million yet alone 20!

Problem is Jozefzoon isn’t the answer either, neither is Bennett. I’d like to see a winger with pure pace in the summer.

Yesterday we played a lot of long balls! Bennett isn't a winger and Jozefzoon is a right sided player that we insist on playing on the left.

As I said before, I don’t think there’s been a player who’s started consistently in our side who’s been worse than Wilson since the turn of the year. But I think to call him “average” ain’t right, he’s far from that. He’s inconsistent, and at the moment horrendously out of form in his overall play. His goal threat is still there, but right now he’s a liability aside from that. But properly in form he is more than average, he’s got one of the best techniques I’ve seen in a derby player, the wing role is certainly about more than just pure pace, otherwise Camara would’ve been like Messi... which... he wasn’t. Weimann is a totally different type of player so don’t think you can draw comparisons there particulary.

You pay for potential, and that’s why Wilson will be expensive. Right now he’s not worth anywhere near that in his current ability as he lacks overall game, but work with his raw talent and there’s a player there. We just can’t afford to carry him, and that’s why he should be dropped Imo. Think Bennett’s overall game makes him a better option at the moment in spite of his lack of goal threat, tho I must agree I’m struggling with Josefzoon at the moment, similar to Wilson in his overall game but lacking end product as it stands to make up for it, tho I think there is something in him.

Personally, I don’t care about pure pace so much, but I think we need some real quality wide as at the moment we have very little, causing us to lack creativity and end product. To that end, I’d break the bank for a winger with that overall quality game that can make us more of a creative and all round threat from wide. I’d break the bank to get tom Ince back, in effect.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

As I said before, I don’t think there’s been a player who’s started consistently in our side who’s been worse than Wilson since the turn of the year. But I think to call him “average” ain’t right, he’s far from that. He’s inconsistent, and at the moment horrendously out of form in his overall play. His goal threat is still there, but right now he’s a liability aside from that. But properly in form he is more than average, he’s got one of the best techniques I’ve seen in a derby player, the wing role is certainly about more than just pure pace, otherwise Camara would’ve been like Messi... which... he wasn’t. Weimann is a totally different type of player so don’t think you can draw comparisons there particulary.

You pay for potential, and that’s why Wilson will be expensive. Right now he’s not worth anywhere near that in his current ability as he lacks overall game, but work with his raw talent and there’s a player there. We just can’t afford to carry him, and that’s why he should be dropped Imo. Think Bennett’s overall game makes him a better option at the moment in spite of his lack of goal threat, tho I must agree I’m struggling with Josefzoon at the moment, similar to Wilson in his overall game but lacking end product as it stands to make up for it, tho I think there is something in him.

Personally, I don’t care about pure pace so much, but I think we need some real quality wide as at the moment we have very little, causing us to lack creativity and end product. To that end, I’d break the bank for a winger with that overall quality game that can make us more of a creative and all round threat from wide. I’d break the bank to get tom Ince back, in effect.

I know what your saying but I don’t think frank wants out and out winger you speak of as he wants the width to come from the full backs with wide forwards who mainly cut inside and have a goal threat

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

I know what your saying but I don’t think frank wants out and out winger you speak of as he wants the width to come from the full backs with wide forwards who mainly cut inside and have a goal threat

Yeah I don’t disagree with that, that’s mainly how 433 systems work nowadays, wingers support the forwards and full back provide the width/crossing threat. I’m more on about the ability to pass and move and work as a team player more than some of our wingers do, it all seems to be dribbling into dead ends at the minute.

Has made a good contribution overall, with some great goals, however.......he is a bit arturo lupoli 

next season must surely be time to try bennett, thomas, mitchell-lawson or jozefzoon.

Why develop someone elses u23s? 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Harry Wilson has made a combined 20 appearances for previous clubs before Derby, he has made 33 appearances for Derby, scoring some big goals against big teams.

He could just be hugely fatigued, he has also played more times for Wales this year.

Think he's also a bit hacked off with the constant kicking he gets at this level. 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Has made a good contribution overall, with some great goals, however.......he is a bit arturo lupoli 

next season must surely be time to try bennett, thomas, mitchell-lawson or jozefzoon.

Why develop someone elses u23s? 

Tyree Wilson is the one! He's the shining star in the youth set-up

Archived