The Notre Dame on Fire

froggg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume most of it is made of some pretty solid stonework. The roof isn't so much of a problem to lose since it can be replaced pretty easily. Its the other items and artwork inside that will be irreplaceable - hopefully they managed to save some of it. 

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I assume most of it is made of some pretty solid stonework. The roof isn't so much of a problem to lose since it can be replaced pretty easily. Its the other items and artwork inside that will be irreplaceable - hopefully they managed to save some of it. 

The architecture is Gothic. It's not just a question of replacing roof beams. The tension and compression of the way the roof is held up - flying buttresses, ribbed vaulting etc - means that the walls could be irreparably damaged by the absence of the roof.

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The architecture is Gothic. It's not just a question of replacing roof beams. The tension and compression of the way the roof is held up - flying buttresses, ribbed vaulting etc - means that the walls could be irreparably damaged by the absence of the roof.

It's not Grenfell though is it? 

No one is dying, and I'd imagine funds to rebuild will be willingly made available.

Sad, but not tragic.

Archived