The Notre Dame on Fire

froggg

In 1965 I was staying with a French family.

They took me to Paris for a day and we took in all the sights.

Went up the Eiffel tower etc.

We visited the cathedral and went up to the area between the two bell towers.

Whilst there we watched as German soldiers, tanks etc drove into the square.

They were filming ‘Is Paris Burning?’

It wasn’t........then!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

Anyone entering?

My offering: They should make the new spire from recycled plastic bottles. It'll look incredible in the sun, it's in line with Paris's claim to be at the forefront of tackling climate change and they'll save a good €100m that they can give to the city's homeless.

8 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

In 1965 I was staying with a French family.

They took me to Paris for a day and we took in all the sights.

Went up the Eiffel tower etc.

We visited the cathedral and went up to the area between the two bell towers.

Whilst there we watched as German soldiers, tanks etc drove into the square.

They were filming ‘Is Paris Burning?’

It wasn’t........then!

You sure it was 1965 Steve??

45 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You sure it was 1965 Steve??

It was, i was 10 at the time, Steve stayed with this French family for a fortnight,  then the French lad stayed with us for a fortnight some sort of exchange deal in the sixties if i remember correctly. Jean-Luc i think his name was, a bit light fingered i recall, tho he did give me a headstart learning basic French language. 20 years after WW2 they were filming 'Is Paris Burning?' whilst Steve was there.

1 hour ago, mozza said:

It was, i was 10 at the time, Steve stayed with this French family for a fortnight,  then the French lad stayed with us for a fortnight some sort of exchange deal in the sixties if i remember correctly. Jean-Luc i think his name was, a bit light fingered i recall, tho he did give me a headstart learning basic French language. 20 years after WW2 they were filming 'Is Paris Burning?' whilst Steve was there.

Jean-Luc Fievet. He suddenly acquired the Beatles Help LP a couple of days after our older brother, Dave, bought it and it disappeared. I didn’t go on the French Exchange again.

7 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Jean-Luc Fievet. He suddenly acquired the Beatles Help LP a couple of days after our older brother, Dave, bought it and it disappeared. I didn’t go on the French Exchange again.

7s/6d to convince me that a whole nation were thieving ratbags, small price to pay. Wonder if Jean-Luc still plays it?

3 hours ago, David said:

Some big pay days going to come out of this. 600m for a roof, reckon @mozza could get a team together for a fraction of the price.

I would, but i'm on a biggish contract doing P.C.'s (actor, not football manager) brother 's house up atm. May tender a price next month. 

Nice that France's wealthiest individuals are donating large sums of money for the Notre Dame rebuild.  But sad that they want to claim tax relief on their donations. Meaning while looking good in the public's eyes and having their egos boosted. They are in actual fact not giving as much as they are claiming and also wanting to make the French government and ultimately the ordinary citizens of France having to pay for more of the cost.

I'm waiting for the announcement of a concert, to raise money. Were all the usual artists will turn up, giving their time for free of cause, which we'll be to told at every opportunity. While also getting their image and ego a boost.

On 18/04/2019 at 13:05, mozza said:

I would, but i'm on a biggish contract doing P.C.'s (actor, not football manager) brother 's house up atm. May tender a price next month. 

Biggish?

Does that mean I get the quid back I lent you in 1968? 

(With compound interest naturally)?‍♂️

Archived