The Notre Dame on Fire

froggg

41 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Indeed. But there may be very little to rebuild with if the walls collapse or have to be demolished.

But it will still be rebuilt, no matter what the damage or cost, because of it's historical importance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I suspect the French, who have a bit more elan than to simply copy what was there before, might put something new in its place.

You have more faith than me then in modern politicians.

They'll rebuild the first 15 stories as a multi faith place of worship with the obligatory art gallery, bistros and visitor centre, the next 15 as hotel rooms, and the final 30 stories as a mix of commercial space and high end apartments for the sponsors of the project!

Come dine at Paris's newest restaurant, on the 60th floor of the new Qatari towers de Notre Dame.

45 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

You have more faith than me then in modern politicians.

They'll rebuild the first 15 stories as a multi faith place of worship with the obligatory art gallery, bistros and visitor centre, the next 15 as hotel rooms, and the final 30 stories as a mix of commercial space and high end apartments for the sponsors of the project!

Come dine at Paris's newest restaurant, on the 60th floor of the new Qatari towers de Notre Dame.

It must be sad to be so cynical.

This is terrible.

The cause is likely to have been lead welding, and once the fire caught hold of the timber structure it will have spread through the void above the vaults. Some of the vaulting has even collapsed. The water from the hoses will have done tremendous damage too.

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I suspect the French, who have a bit more elan than to simply copy what was there before, might put something new in its place.

If it's a Le Corbusier inspired post modernist monstrosity, I'll burn the ducker down myself.

Sith Happens
10 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

You’re probably the most cynical person on here!

When i was your age i wasn't in the least bit cynical, but as i get older i get more and more cynical, so imagine what it must be like for eddie, afterall he has lived through two world wars ?

The first time I understood the phrase “takes your breath away” The interior of Norte Dame with Gothic arch on top of Gothic arch soaring upwards .. you really do involantarily inhale, your breath catches  - you look up and there is more and more. Magnificent.Then when you recover and think it’s 800 years old and how they managed to build it. It’s a form of sensory overload. It makes the way we chose to use the word awesome with such glib ease seem completely pathetic. Beautiful building. It will be restored I am certain. 

Archived