The Politics Thread 2019

Day

40 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I can not believe anybody in the right mind really wants Corbyn to LEAD our great Nation ??? Seriously come on, you don’t do you??

I think anyone in their right mind wants an end to the damage the tories have inflicted. The only alternative is to vote Labour. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got our postal vote stuff yesterday and I will be voting. However, I can honestly say this is the first time that I don't actually want to vote for any of them, for a variety of reasons.

Tories: Boris & gang. even if they have managed to keep Rees Mogg gagged in a cupboard so far this campaign.

Labour: Ambitious plans but likely to be bankrupt within a few years. Corbyn. Unions.

Greens: Bankrupt quicker than Labour

Lib Dems: Unilaterally cancelling Brexit & our candidate doesn't live in the constituency

It's like having to choose your favourite STI.

I actually think the Lib Dems have shot themselves in the foot with the cancelling Brexit thing. I've spoken a to a lot of people who think the same as me on this. Being a Remain party & even having a new referendum is one thing. Totally ignoring the first referendum is quite another. IMO.

20 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Got our postal vote stuff yesterday and I will be voting. However, I can honestly say this is the first time that I don't actually want to vote for any of them, for a variety of reasons.

Tories: Boris & gang. even if they have managed to keep Rees Mogg gagged in a cupboard so far this campaign.

Labour: Ambitious plans but likely to be bankrupt within a few years. Corbyn. Unions.

Lib Dems: Unilaterally cancelling Brexit & our candidate doesn't live in the constituency

It's even worse in Derby North.

The Tory campaigned for remain in 2016 and was an absolutely useless MP in her 2 years on the back benches

The incumbent has been suspended from the Labour Party for anti-semitism and is standing as an Independent

The replacement Labour MP is allegedly an anti-Corbyn  centrist

The Green candidate stood down in 2017 to get the Tory out, but isn't doing so this time

The Lib Dem is trying to win on a "revoke" ticket when Derby North voted Leave

The Brexit Party candidate is just a massive gammon, popular only with other gammons

I genuinely have no idea who to vote for 

23 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

You could be on to something here.

Instead of voting for your favourite party, vote for your favourite STI!

Conservatives = Chlamydia

Labour = Lice (pubic)

Greens = Gonorrhea 

SNP = Syphilis 

Lib Dems...well forget about them they would just cancel the sex anyway

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

It's even worse in Derby North.

The Tory campaigned for remain in 2016 and was an absolutely useless MP in her 2 years on the back benches

The incumbent has been suspended from the Labour Party for anti-semitism and is standing as an Independent

The replacement Labour MP is allegedly an anti-Corbyn  centrist

The Green candidate stood down in 2017 to get the Tory out, but isn't doing so this time

The Lib Dem is trying to win on a "revoke" ticket when Derby North voted Leave

The Brexit Party candidate is just a massive gammon, popular only with other gammons

I genuinely have no idea who to vote for 

Move to Derby South?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Labour = Lice (pubic)

Greens = Gonorrhea 

SNP = Syphilis 

You missed one …

BREXIT party - some kind of catastrophic injury involving a lawn mower ...

oh wait, you wake and find it was a bad dream …. but you still have Chlamydia

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Labour = Lice (pubic)

Greens = Gonorrhea 

SNP = Syphilis 

Works for me. I like it clean shaven down there ?

29 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Works for me. I like it clean shaven down there ?

I know we are getting on better these days but I'm afraid that's too much info! 

Are you going to post a pic? ?

2 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

A bit of a lazy assumption there. 

Reminds me of that clip of the Brexit Party MEP that someone posted just a few pages back. 

But a common assumption nevertheless.

In this election in 2019, there are more important things on the agenda than continuous economic 'growth' or even Brexit for that matter.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/11/new-un-climate-report-offers-bleak-emissions-forecast

Apparently the UK electorate still doesn't seem to grasp the seriousness of the current global environmental crisis (a pattern repeated in nearly every country) and instead seems to be poised to give the Boris Johnson, of all people, an overall majority.  Although with the FPTP system, the electorate can hardly be blamed for being reluctant to vote for a smaller party, as it would often feel like a wasted vote. 

On 26/11/2019 at 18:13, Ghost of Clough said:

As @DarkFruitsRam7 touched on, it’s the living costs which impact the affordability of going to University rather than Tuition Fees. 
An extremely low percentage of people receive enough through maintenance loans to cover rent, bills, food, etc... Mine wasn’t even enough to cover the rent!
Tuition Fees have zero impact until after finishing Uni (start of the next tax year and earning above the current £25725 threshold). Even then, the amount repaid is negligible.
I don’t see how removing Tuition fees makes it any more affordable to go to University, due to it not being a financial burden whilst studying. Even if you are correct, I’d argue that increasing the pool of applicants would simply increase the number of places on courses or even increase the number of courses available. 

Sorry Ghost had a really busy time leading up to the match on Tuesday so I never got back to you!

Just for the point, I fully agreed with DarkFruits point and believe the whole system needs overhauling. Student renting alone is one of the biggest cons around, it’s only designed to exploit young people.

As I understand it, labours policy isn’t just a random policy but from focus groups that say debt coming out of university is a big stigma. Fully agree that it isn’t entirely accurate in general terms, but I do think you have to address it if that’s a stigma that’s stopping people from going.

Archived