The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Except what I am talking about is David Schneider's point that at this election we are being offered two significantly different versions of leaving offered by Johnson and Farage. I don't understand how that is irrelevant. Which one represents what you voted for 3 years ago?

Both. Leaving the EU is what I voted for.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just reading an article, apparently the top 1% (which always seems to be the magic number) of earners, earn 14% of the nations income but shoulder 28% of the nations income tax burden.

And people think that these are the people we should be targeting for tax increases!

43% of adults pay no income tax at all, yet the Conservatives are the government are the ones that target the poor apparently.

I struggle to understand peoples logic sometimes.

If 43% of adults are paying no income tax. That must also mean that the same amount of the population are earning £12,500 or less. No wonder more and more working families are having to resort to food banks.

4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

If 43% of are paying no income tax. That must also mean that the same amount of the population are earning £12,500 or less. No wonder more and more working families are having to resort to food banks.

That overlooks the fact that many of these may have partners earning over this amount.

21 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I am not sure how this addresses his point:

'Cheers.  Feel free to post anymore sound bites from someone who had a £100,000 secondary school education referring to those who live in the real world and don't agree with him as illiterate A-holes.  Just don't expect anyone to take it seriously.  Sure he has a lovely palatial home in some mews of Primrose Hill.'

The point I'm making that you are deliberately missing, is that I should pay no more credence to someone who has lived life in excessive comfort who voted remain, than those who voted remain pay any credence to Jacob who has also lived a life in excessive comfort .  Who knows maybe your mate Dave has an ulterior motive to push for Remain - maybe a few hundred grand in the channel tunnel that we all know will be bricked up and shut forever when we leave and become the we become the new Anthrax island if you believe what you read.

I'm going to leave this now as I've got other stuff to do and it seems to have no ending .

27 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

That won’t work unfortunately. And Corbyn won’t do it, he’ll increase corporation tax which will lead to large companies not investing in the uk and then he’ll have to borrow it... followed by everyone wondering why we’ve ended up broke again. 

So you're fine with Brexit leading to large companies not investing in the UK but not taxing income over £1m an extra 5%, because you think it will result in the same thing?  If we get to limit the foreigners it's fine but trying to improve the lives of the people at the bottom of the pile it isn't. 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

So you're fine with Brexit leading to large companies not investing in the UK but not taxing income over £1m an extra 5%, because you think it will result in the same thing?  If we get to limit the foreigners it's fine but trying to improve the lives of the people at the bottom of the pile it isn't. 

Are you stating this as fact or just personal opinion?

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The point I'm making that you are deliberately missing, is that I should pay no more credence to someone who has lived life in excessive comfort who voted remain, than those who voted remain pay any credence to Jacob who has also lived a life in excessive comfort .  Who knows maybe your mate Dave has an ulterior motive to push for Remain - maybe a few hundred grand in the channel tunnel that we all know will be bricked up and shut forever when we leave and become the we become the new Anthrax island if you believe what you read.

I'm going to leave this now as I've got other stuff to do and it seems to have no ending .

I went to a comprehensive. Will you answer the question if I ask it.

And why do people hate it when well off people care about others in society. They actually seem to prefer the likes if Mogg and Johnson. Maybe they feel guilty about their own lack of empathy?

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The point I'm making that you are deliberately missing, is that I should pay no more credence to someone who has lived life in excessive comfort who voted remain, than those who voted leave pay any credence to Jacob who has also lived a life in excessive comfort .  Who knows maybe your mate Dave has an ulterior motive to push for Remain - maybe a few hundred grand in the channel tunnel that we all know will be bricked up and shut forever when we leave and become the we become the new Anthrax island if you believe what you read.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all. I don't know who Jacob is and I don't have any mates called David. Ranting about someone's background doesn't add anything.

Try it from the point of view that sometimes people you don't like say things you agree with and sometimes people you like say things you disagree with. I don't feel bad about agreeing with Tories sometimes (or disagreeing with my 'mates'). It's very liberating. ?

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That overlooks the fact that many of these may have partners earning over this amount.

What percentage of the working population would that actually involve. If you can post any figures, it would be of great interest.

Just now, 1of4 said:

What percentage of the working population would that actually involve. If you can post any figures, it would be of great interest.

No idea but when I was married I was in that category, as are my 5 closest friends. So that's at least 0.0000000000000000000000001% ?

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

I went to a comprehensive. Will you answer the question if I ask it.

And why do people hate it when well off people care about others in society. They actually seem to prefer the likes if Mogg and Johnson. Maybe they feel guilty about their own lack of empathy?

Does he ? Can't see any evidence of that in the screen shot .  I also went to a comprehensive. Not sure of the relevance of that remark.  Lack of empathy ? Once again can't see the relevance.

Archived