The Politics Thread 2019

Day

25 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The point remains and is valid.  Whether you choose to accept that is up to you . The removal of MCA is a direct contradiction of Labours for the many manifesto and will leave millions of Britains lowest paid families £ 250 a year worse off.

Only if you or your spouse was born before 1935. 
I take you aren’t going to address David Schneider’s point. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

You need to explain further on this point as I have first hand experience with it now and it has has the care provided has been incredible.

What aspect are you currently unhappy with? 

I’ll leave it for now. We’ve had a bad experience but it’s too soon to be rational about it.?

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Only if you or your spouse was born before 1935. 
I take you aren’t going to address David Schneider’s point. 

If one of you is 84 years old and still pays tax, you can afford it.

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

All of them?

Me personally, I welcome immigrants who come to better themselves and help our economy. 

But I'd like to see a sensible system that ensures that this is what we are getting.

I'm not sure why people are against that?

I agree, after all we don't want to overtake Sweden with their statistic (I won't post here what that is).

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

The rich pay a huge amount in tax..

Just reading an article, apparently the top 1% (which always seems to be the magic number) of earners, earn 14% of the nations income but shoulder 28% of the nations income tax burden.

And people think that these are the people we should be targeting for tax increases!

43% of adults pay no income tax at all, yet the Conservatives are the government are the ones that target the poor apparently.

I struggle to understand peoples logic sometimes.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What other part?

The full paragraph was:

No. None of what you said addresses the point David Schneider makes: We are constantly being told that people who voted leave knew what they were voting for and yet the two leading brexit mouth pieces in the land don't agree on what constitutes leaving. He didn't say anything about their income or net worth here, did he?

You cut it mid sentence, thus missing out the main thrust of the point he was making.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just reading an article, apparently the top 1% (which always seems to be the magic number) of earners, earn 14% of the nations income but shoulder 28% of the nations income tax burden.

And people think that these are the people we should be targeting for tax increases!

43% of adults pay no income tax at all, yet the Conservatives are the government are the ones that target the poor apparently.

Is that the top 1% of earners by population, or salary?

43% of the working age population, or all adults?

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The full paragraph was:

No. None of what you said addresses the point David Schneider makes: We are constantly being told that people who voted leave knew what they were voting for and yet the two leading brexit mouth pieces in the land don't agree on what constitutes leaving. He didn't say anything about their income or net worth here, did he?

You cut it mid sentence, thus missing out the main thrust of the point he was making.

The last point is completely irrelevant to what was on the ballot paper.

Remain in the EU

Leave the EU

What makes you think people did not understand the 2 options?

In General Elections the options are usually 

Conservative 

Labour

Lib Dem

Etc

I've never heard it said before that people do not know what they are voting for in General Elections yet there is as much detail on them ballot papers as there was on the Referendum ballot paper.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The last point is completely irrelevant to what was on the ballot paper.

Remain in the EU

Leave the EU

What makes you think people did not understand the 2 options?

In General Elections the options are usually 

Conservative 

Labour

Lib Dem

Etc

I've never heard it said before that people do not know what they are voting for in General Elections yet there is as much detail on them ballot papers as there was on the Referendum ballot paper.

You think it's irrelevant that Johnson is pushing his deal while Farage decries it but they both claim to represent what Brexit stands for? They can't both be right, surely. The interpretation of what was on that ballot paper by the two leading proponents of leaving the EU seems about as far from irrelevant as it's possible to be.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

So we can go back to the dream team of miliband and balls, out right-winging the tories? 

Or the Blair days of bombing civilians? 

Or rather you prefer a carbon copy of Boris, with identical policies? 

I'll vote for the party pledging to increase taxes for the rich to pay for public services. Which apparently is the same as Stalin shooting hundreds of people. 

That won’t work unfortunately. And Corbyn won’t do it, he’ll increase corporation tax which will lead to large companies not investing in the uk and then he’ll have to borrow it... followed by everyone wondering why we’ve ended up broke again. 

22 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It’s an easy sound bite born out if little understanding. 

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You think it's irrelevant that Johnson is pushing his deal while Farage decries it but they both claim to represent what Brexit stands for? They can't both be right, surely. The interpretation of what was on that ballot paper by the two leading proponents of leaving the EU seems about as far from irrelevant as it's possible to be.

Yes it is completely irrelevant to whether people wanted to leave or remain in the EU.

The terms of what happen after we leave were never going to be known before the vote. People vote to leave, its really as simple as that.

I'm assuming nothing at all has changed in the EU at all since June 2016 otherwise the Remain voters cannot have known what they were voting for.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I did.  That's why you initially posted a reply .  Don't go Diane Abbott on me. 

I am not sure how this addresses his point:

'Cheers.  Feel free to post anymore sound bites from someone who had a £100,000 secondary school education referring to those who live in the real world and don't agree with him as illiterate A-holes.  Just don't expect anyone to take it seriously.  Sure he has a lovely palatial home in some mews of Primrose Hill.'

12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Can you not get why a party called Brexit Party would try and stay alive on the only topic it has any meaning to? 

Do you want them to come out and say 'stop buying memberships and backing us with your donations'.?

8 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

That won’t work unfortunately. And Corbyn won’t do it, he’ll increase corporation tax which will lead to large companies not investing in the uk and then he’ll have to borrow it... followed by everyone wondering why we’ve ended up broke again. 

You are aware that the National Debt has increased every year since 2005 aren't you?

https://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_national_debt_analysis

The worldwide financial crash in 2008 caused the recession not Labour. Since 2011 the UK National Debt has risen from £1 trillion to £1.8 trillion (as of March this year).

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes it is completely irrelevant to whether people wanted to leave or remain in the EU.

The terms of what happen after we leave were never going to be known before the vote. People vote to leave, its really as simple as that.

I'm assuming nothing at all has changed in the EU at all since June 2016 otherwise the Remain voters cannot have known what they were voting for.

Except what I am talking about is David Schneider's point that at this election we are being offered two significantly different versions of leaving offered by Johnson and Farage. I don't understand how that is irrelevant. Which one represents what you voted for 3 years ago?

1 minute ago, Norman said:

Can you not get why a party called Brexit Party would try and stay alive on the only topic it has any meaning to? 

Do you want them to come out and say 'stop buying memberships and backing us with your donations'.?

It's a little cynical, even by Farage's standards. I simply assume he will move on to his next thing, like he did after the referendum.

Archived