The Politics Thread 2019

Day

40 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Google may or may not have a political bias but like all the tech giants they are based in progressive left California therefore their natural bias is that of being lefties

That's quite a claim. A shame that there "natural bias towards being a leftie" doesn't stretch to them paying a fair share of taxes, or promoting wealth distribution rather than accumulation. I maintain that the tech giants are only out to fundamentally protect their own interests at the expense of others. That doesn't feel like a very "leftie" mindset to me

48 minutes ago, maxjam said:

the second link shows that you are twice as likely to be recommended a left leaning video after viewing right leaning content than the reverse

That one was interesting until I saw that they had categorised the BBC as a left-wing news organisation. In the bin with that idea

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

That one was interesting until I saw that they had categorised the BBC as a left-wing news organisation. In the bin with that idea

I know a few right-wing people who share the opinion that the BBC are a bunch of Trotskyites. Equally, I know a few left-wing people who profess that they are little more than Tory Central.

So the BBC must be doing something right.

14 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

The BBC has biases just like everyone else - and no ones claiming them to be far left, just to the left (although if you watch their late night comedy...);

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/bbc/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5428081/bbc-news-coverage-biased-against-brexit/

http://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/brusselsbroadcastingcorporation.pdf

43 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

That's quite a claim. A shame that there "natural bias towards being a leftie" doesn't stretch to them paying a fair share of taxes, or promoting wealth distribution rather than accumulation. I maintain that the tech giants are only out to fundamentally protect their own interests at the expense of others. That doesn't feel like a very "leftie" mindset to me

I've been following American politics a lot recently and everyones a leftie when it comes to saving the planet, but when the New Green Deal is gonna cost $90 trillion and massive tax rises for everyone its like 'uhm, er, yeah ok...'  *walks away whistling innocently*

You can be leftie in spirit and push a progressive agenda but ultimately its all about power and wealth.  The extreme right will riot and throw rocks - they are easy to spot.  The extreme left are far more dangerous, they will ring your advertisers or your boss and put pressure on your job or product sales if you deviate from their progressive agenda.

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I've been following American politics a lot recently and everyones a leftie when it comes to saving the planet, but when the New Green Deal is gonna cost $90 trillion and massive tax rises for everyone its like 'uhm, er, yeah ok...'  *walks away whistling innocently*

You can be leftie in spirit and push a progressive agenda but ultimately its all about power and wealth.  The extreme right will riot and throw rocks - they are easy to spot.  The extreme left are far more dangerous, they will ring your advertisers and put pressure on your job or product sales if you fall out of time.

The 'New Green Deal' is little more than a concept at the moment, to the point that the overall costing you quote is simply meaningless politicising from a right-wing 'think tank' (Why do people call them that? There appears to be precious little thought contributing to the utterances of think-tanks, left or right). The aspect to which you refer ("Saving the planet" should really be interpreted as making the USA "carbon-neutral") would cost approximately $200 billion a year over a 10 year period, at least according to physicist Christopher Clark.

52 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The BBC has biases just like everyone else - and no ones claiming them to be far left, just to the left (although if you watch their late night comedy...);

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/bbc/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5428081/bbc-news-coverage-biased-against-brexit/

http://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/brusselsbroadcastingcorporation.pdf

that tends to be a consequence relating to who is in power.  The current government whatever the colour makes more decisions open to criticism/analysis than the opposition and the BBC end up looking anti government.  Most of the time they do a good job.  Funny think is though, during the Thatcher years I thought they were Tory biased, there was a comedy sketch about it, I'll see if I can find it.

50 minutes ago, maxjam said:

You realise that the BBC Comedy and Drama outputs are separate to their news function though. I totally agree that the BBC comedy is generally left of centre (but then isn't most comedy. The problem with right wing comedy is that it isn't funny)

Their news though. Different matter. Laura Keunessberg was found guilty of breaching the impartiality guidelines in a report she did on Corbyn. Her ability to paint Theresa May in a positive light despite everything is astonishing. Her predecessor Nick Robinson was the chair of the Conservatives club at Oxford University, Andrew Neil used to work for the Conservative party. Robbie Gibb left his role as BBC Politics Today editor to become Theresa May's Comms director (and has now been outed by Nick Boles as an arch hard-brexiteer!)

8 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

You realise that the BBC Comedy and Drama outputs are separate to their news function though. I totally agree that the BBC comedy is generally left of centre (but then isn't most comedy. The problem with right wing comedy is that it isn't funny)

Doesn't matter if you're sitting there passively taking it in. 

As for your second paragraph I haven't looked into it enough to counter the argument.  I do recall some studies highlighting a left leaning bias though and the media bias website link I posted tends to back that up.

They do also have a strong remain bias which was also highlighted in a couple of the links I posted which I guess is more relevant for this thread.

42 minutes ago, eddie said:

The 'New Green Deal' is little more than a concept at the moment, to the point that the overall costing you quote is simply meaningless politicising from a right-wing 'think tank' (Why do people call them that? There appears to be precious little thought contributing to the utterances of think-tanks, left or right). The aspect to which you refer ("Saving the planet" should really be interpreted as making the USA "carbon-neutral") would cost approximately $200 billion a year over a 10 year period, at least according to physicist Christopher Clark.

The point I was making was its easy to be a leftie with other peoples money.  Its also easy to push the progressive agenda if you're surrounded by fellow lefties (high tech social media companies all being in California) or have extreme left SJWs threatening to have you sacked/ruin your business if you don't tow their progressive agenda.  Its bound to instill bias whether you want it to or not.

When it comes to paying your own fair share of tax however *cough* Google/Amazon/etc *cough* or having multi-millionaire Labour MPs theres more than a hint of do as we say not do as we do.

There is an excellent Tim Pool/Roe Rogan video on youtube talking to Jack Dorsey (Mr Twitter) they call him out for innate bias that he can't deny.

55 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The point I was making was its easy to be a leftie with other peoples money.  Its also easy to push the progressive agenda if you're surrounded by fellow lefties (high tech social media companies all being in California) or have extreme left SJWs threatening to have you sacked/ruin your business if you don't tow their progressive agenda.  Its bound to instill bias whether you want it to or not.

When it comes to paying your own fair share of tax however *cough* Google/Amazon/etc *cough* or having multi-millionaire Labour MPs theres more than a hint of do as we say not do as we do.

There is an excellent Tim Pool/Roe Rogan video on youtube talking to Jack Dorsey (Mr Twitter) they call him out for innate bias that he can't deny.

I get it. The whole e-world is ganging up on the poor old right-wing.

As far as 'paying your share' is concerned, that is an accusation that can never be aimed at the Tories, is it? Even yesterday, Boris Johnson was censured by parliament for, yet again, fiddling his books. No change there then.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Just out of interest - you have a lot to say on the matter. Do you believe that you are free from bias? You talk a lot about doing your own research, but I've yet to see you post anything that doesn't confirm your strong belief that left-wing politics is always wrong.

Edit: and yes I know I'm a reasonably entrenched leftist and I can't ever envisage reading something that will lift the scales from my eyes and result in a sudden epiphany that greed and selfishness are fantastic and great - but then I don't claim to be unbiased

34 minutes ago, eddie said:

I get it. The whole e-world is ganging up on the poor old right-wing.

finally, you're getting it ?

34 minutes ago, eddie said:

As far as 'paying your share' is concerned, that is an accusation that can never be aimed at the Tories, is it? Even yesterday, Boris Johnson was censured by parliament for, yet again, fiddling his books. No change there then.

Never said that other people/organizations don't.  Just pointing out that all the social media giants are based in the California bubble and the different tactics that the extreme left use in comparison to those used by the far right.   We can all spot the far right from a distance, the far left are just as dangerous but use more underhanded techniques.

32 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Just out of interest - you have a lot to say on the matter. Do you believe that you are free from bias? You talk a lot about doing your own research, but I've yet to see you post anything that doesn't confirm your strong belief that left-wing politics is always wrong.

I don't think I've stated that either right or left politics is good/bad, my concern is how to regulate those in the position of power to wield it - they just happen to be mostly on the progressive left at the moment so I'm naturally drawn to call it out when I see it.

Everyone has their own biases, I'm no exception to that.  I do my research and try to post links to back up arguments from a variety of respected sources to show where I'm coming from if possible. 

If we're getting really personal I'd say I'm pretty much down the middle, I'd take a bit of what the Tories offer, a bit of what Labour offer, a dab of Green and pinch of UKIP.  Small government, freedom of speech, equality, regulation/privatization when companies get to large and wield to much power/influence, increased NHS and welfare, green policy to ensure future generations and national independence.

Without going back over my old posts to see how well written or not they were, I try not to give to many opinions (other than saying I'm pro-leave) I just like to counter the arguments I'm responding to.

11 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Painted Scotland blue by the look of it.

Perhaps its the woad.......?

The Romans built the A1, or the M6, A74 (M) and M74?

Also, your fingers have a speech impediment.

?

7 hours ago, maxjam said:

Google may or may not have a political bias but like all the tech giants they are based in progressive left California therefore their natural bias is that of being lefties.  The algorithms they create favour the left and they are more likely to suppress the views of the right furthermore they have the ability to actively promote or suppress ideas they agree/disagree with - that is imo to much power to be left unregulated.

twitter bias:  https://quillette.com/2019/02/12/it-isnt-your-imagination-twitter-treats-conservatives-more-harshly-than-liberals/

youtube bias; https://pyt.azureedge.net/

the second link shows that you are twice as likely to be recommended a left leaning video after viewing right leaning content than the reverse.

Maybe then it can counterbalance a hideously right wing press bias that sees the lines of Corbyn portrayed as a subversive and a terrorist sympathiser and remainders as traitors and threats to democracy. Swings and roundabouts.

On 08/04/2019 at 13:09, ariotofmyown said:

To change the subject, here is an interesting article I read on the weekend about austerity in the south east.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/07/theresa-may-berks-bucks-thames-valley-tory-austerity

Video to go with the article

Geez thats depressing - stay or leave there needs to be a massive political and economic shake up in the UK afterwards

Archived