Who will be the new central defender?

ram59

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been told someone we're looking at for centre half who we've apparently been keeping an eye on for a while. But it's still some way off. But y'all should be confident we are in the market, even though the player's level is currently below Championship. But we've seen with Marriott and Holmes that there is talent in League One. I had hoped Frank (with his standing and contacts) might bring in another Igor, but alas that doesn't seem to be the direction we're going in.

Sorry to @Parsnipfor the lack of cryptic clues! I know it will make people sceptical, but I'm always reluctant to name names as it would inevitably make it harder for the club to get it over the line.

23 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I've been told someone we're looking at for centre half who we've apparently been keeping an eye on for a while. But it's still some way off. But y'all should be confident we are in the market, even though the player's level is currently below Championship. But we've seen with Marriott and Holmes that there is talent in League One. I had hoped Frank (with his standing and contacts) might bring in another Igor, but alas that doesn't seem to be the direction we're going in.

Sorry to @Parsnipfor the lack of cryptic clues! I know it will make people sceptical, but I'm always reluctant to name names as it would inevitably make it harder for the club to get it over the line.

Patrick Bauer? German CB that we've been promised for years ?

35 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If they can head and kick it away from our goal, tackle and pass it perfectly to teammates and score goals for us they will be fine by me - not much to ask is it? 

Roy McF's a bit past it by now, surely.

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Ryan Tafazolli.

Thanks for the info @Carl Sagan. 27 year old Peterborough Centre half. Born locally in Sutton, half Iranian and Peterborough's player of the year last season.

6' 5" so just the unit we've been looking for!

Auston TRUSTy you to come up with the wrong answer. 

Just now, Parsnip said:

Angonaminute apparently there's a Sutton in London too so he might not be that local. This is still our man though. Nailed on.

He is from Sutton in London, but has played for Mansfield. Hope they sang 'He's one of our own'

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

Ryan Tafazolli.

Thanks for the info @Carl Sagan. 27 year old Peterborough Centre half. Born locally in Sutton, half Iranian and Peterborough's player of the year last season.

6' 5" so just the unit we've been looking for!

And he's smoking hot!

DeT4UqRXcAMa7rz.thumb.jpg.380f418425712ad0485c3b73e3bf62b9.jpg

I have to say that's genius. Completely wrong, but genius. 

12 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

How hard can it be playing at centre back? I haven’t seen a truly gifted player play in that position and they seldom come across as intelligent. 

Roy Mac, Toddy, Bobby Moore, Franco Baresi, Franz Beckenbauer(sp?)  Surely one or more of them can be counted as gifted? Don't remember any of them as coming across as particularly thick either.

If we are looking at League One and below, I doubt we will be in for the likes of Whatmough and Clarke or any promising youngster at this point.

These are the kind of players you would expect to see us looking at in the summer when the state of our squad and the state of our finances will be much clearer.

If we are looking for someone to fill the Alex Pearce role, I would imagine someone like Christian Burgess would be more likely. 

Archived