Vs Southampton home (Matchday thread).

Rev

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we looked loads sharper when Nugent came on..... lots of savvy in his play, got the middle of the park going more.

Bryson for me though seems to be way off pace for me. Just don’t think he’s the player he once was. Some of the challenges he made were like Savage at end of his career.

Holmes is an absolute steal..... so confident when he’s on ball.

Lawerence shows his quality of turning nothing into something. 

Take the point 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

There’s nothing wrong with the draw today, Pompey are a good side who drew away to Chelsea a few days ago.

This game wasn’t really that important in the grand scheme of things as many regard the FA Cup to now be on the same level as the league cup or community shield these days. However, it was very good to see a lot of youngsters and players on the fringes given ago. I’d echo some thoughts that we should play Holmes, Wilson and Mount in the same team against Leeds City on Friday if all are fit.

The game against Leeds City on Friday is massive as we don’t have a great record there over recent years and under the flood lights you can bet yourself that their fans will be drunk and tell us we aren’t welcome but we must rise up to that challenge. I think the last time we played Leeds on a Friday was under McClaren where we some what crumbled. I believe we played on a Friday too against them under Clement where we also crumbled.

That knock on your front door is my Saints mate Bryn.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Holmes is an absolute steal..... so confident when he’s on ball.

Not good enough for Sunderland though, scouts watched him on the Netflix documentary, said nah and I’m grateful for their nah.

Frank is constantly talking about ‘’character’ in his interviews, and the one thing he’s instilled in his team is character. We never seem to give up! How many times this season have we come from behind to get a result? Really impressive.

Shame we didn't nick it at the end but we've at least shown the kind of form we know is in this side and with a pretty inexperienced team to boot. Hoping we can transfer these types of performance to our league games and on a consistent basis too. If we can, I don't really see why we should fear anyone in the Championship. COYR

2 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Frank is constantly talking about ‘’character’ in his interviews, and the one thing he’s instilled in his team is character. We never seem to give up! How many times this season have we come from behind to get a result? Really impressive.

Indeed. If only we could get the slow starts sorted out we’d really be onto something 

16 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Not letting your heads drop be it at Old Trafford, Carrow Road or even at home to Premier League teams is a bloody good trait to have. Teams won’t want to defend 1 or 2 goal leads, going to have to bury us. There’s a lot to like with what Frank is building here. 

Great comeback today. Holmes is class and has to start against Leeds. People need to lay off Lawrence. He’s judged to higher standards than everyone else because of what he can do. He deserves credit today and he’s massively important to our chances. Starts every week for me.

Selection conundrum for Frank, with the exception of defence where it’s whoever is fit.

Great game, at 2 Nil heads could easily go down so credit to the lads for getting back in it. 

On another note a massive thanks to the club today, I brought my young daughter to her first Derby game and the stewards bent over backwards to make it as enjoyable as possible.

Special credit to the bloke sat next to me who not only put up with a young child crying but being poked with a Derby flag when she got excited, all while smiling and being an all round lovely guy. Makes the 'magic' of the FA Cup all the more real for us ?

Fair result, both teams had chances to win it. Marriotts chance was a sitter, Sammon would of put that away. Hope it doesn't affect his confidence and he continues his form. Duane Holmes was the best player on the pitch, Worth every penny when we see his ability week in week out.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, lukedcfc said:

Fair result, both teams had chances to win it. Marriotts chance was a sitter, Sammon would of put that away. Hope it doesn't affect his confidence and he continues his form. Duane Holmes was the best player on the pitch, Worth every penny when we see his ability week in week out.

Disappointing attendance, despite southampton bringing quite a few.

really poor for 50 minutes. Bird, lowe, and bogle all poor. But holmes was terrific from start to finish. Two good finishes from Redmond who was probably the best player on the pitch. No matter how many times Ed Dawes tried to imply that keogh was at fault for deflecting Redmond's shot into his own net, it just won't wash. 

Substitution changed the game. Great move to get back to 2-1. Another good strike to get back level.

what a shame jack blazed over when the game was there for the taking. I don't think i would have believed it possible if i hadn't seen it.

But overall, a draw was a fair result considering our poor start.

Hopefully Roos just earned himself a new contract offer. 

Archived